Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

That was a phenomenal gritty performance. Yes their slick football pushed us deep but we held firm. Every player gave every last gut busting effort. They all share a new “men” of the match award in my book. 

Jackson is a gem. Tracks back works so hard. Elder struggled early on but dug in with real determination . There was a moment near the end where he saw a ball out for a corner but he knew he’d stopped his man and you saw him punch the air .. “I did my job, they shall not pass”. 

Lino missed 2 offsides that lead to nothing but happily managed to see the other one, ref was soft on them, Collins was routinely mauled right in front of him, why couldn’t he see it ? 

It wasn’t pretty but it was brave. Our midfield trio will be on the front foot in other games and they are good enough to open doors when we play a different way against less tricky teams. It’s not going to be easy but this is a new team who will get better. Happy days 😎

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Obnoxious set of fans. It certainly wasn't a minority of them singing "We're all having a party...."

Whole ground singing back "Who are ya?" at the end of the game was justly deserved. 

I took solace from the thought that when I got off my bus this afternoon it wasn’t in Middlesbrough, Angie! But yeah, feck ‘em!

Edited by DiggerB

Very proud of the heart and hard work we showed in today's performance.  We rode our luck but I felt we deserved the win. It was strange to hear the 'party when Derby die' song again, it was so 2021, didn't they get the memo? Might have been better if they had got behind their team, just made the whole day more satisfying!

Edited by Wistaston Ram

36 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I still think he’s an accident waiting to happen on the ball. In a game like today it suited him pretty well, as he’s strong when backs are against the wall. But I’d still much rather we upgraded on him to get something a bit different in the backline. We’re still a bit one paced, and teams with a lot of pace will cause us serious problems 

No different than Matt Clarke to be fair and he will/should be anchoring a top 6 team. Fine margins.....

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I wouldn't accept a bid for Bradley. Every team needs good squad players that won't let you down. Bradley fits the bill perfectly.

He let us down quite a few times last season… if someone offered us £250k for him I’d definitely take it and use it on wages for a younger, faster loanee.

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Our lot were excellent today. That result will put the lads further in credit too. Can see another siege mentality in the offing, as there's no doubt this will be a very tough season and whilst some don't believe in it, I think the whole 12th man thing is absolutely real.

I said this after the game today, the atmosphere was almost like the season we went down except we haven’t got the minus 21 points hung around our kneck👍

Very good defensive performance and liked the midfield trio of Ozoh, Osborn and Kenzo. Not a big lover of Bradley but got to say he stept in really well when Cash went off especially against the pace of there No 9 (and everyone says he can’t play against pace)

Big applause to everyone really including our manager 👌

31 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Perfect performance today.

Capitalised on a calamitous error and scored a great goal.

Sat in and dug, tackled, battled and gassed-out our way to 3 points.

3 vital confidence boosting points.

All the frailties were visible so Warne will know what we still need, no danger of the cracks being papered over and forgotten...but we got the most out of what we have.

Deserved? That's all perspective. They hold all the cards but didn't create anything gilt-edged and gifted us a chance we took.

That's how football is.

I don’t think I’d describe it as a “perfect performance”. If it had been perfect we’d have won my a couple of goals (or more) and not had our backs against the wall for large parts of the game. But let’s not taken anything away from what was a great result, very good tactics (especially given the early injuries and the perceived quality of the opposition) and a gritty defensive performance full of character.

2 hours ago, winktheram said:

Ozoh struggling? Saw a different player to me. Thought he was immense and not fazed at all. Great win and what a battle. Loved it.

He has some really nice moments on the ball but seems to lose concentration at times. Overall I think we would see the best of him if he was able to get around the pitch a bit more rather than playing deep.

One thing's for sure : I'll be having a party when the Madley brothers retire. This one will never be forgiven for that Burnley game, but at least he failed to undermine us today.

A stirring, backs to the wall performance against a team who've spent heavily and have some very dangerous forwards and a strong midfield. The team left everything on the pitch and the fans really appreciated it - they were deafening at times. So important to get wins on the board early and this will be great for confidence.

COYR!

Boro had all the all but once were ahead had no reason to push the game forward. Defended well. Elder was decent, Bradley too!

everyone worked hard. Like kenzo to get a bit more involved in games, has talent though!

jackson made a few intelligent runs, was impressed.

15 minutes ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

No different than Matt Clarke to be fair and he will/should be anchoring a top 6 team. Fine margins.....

All due respect, comparing Matt Clarke and Sonny Bradley is laughable. The latter couldn’t even get into a League One side last season, whereas the former is probably one of the best CBs to play for Derby in my lifetime. The difference in quality both off the ball and in particular on it is an absolute chasm. 

Just back home and cracked open a nice Shiraz to celebrate. Brilliantly taken goal from a stupid error. How many times do we see one on one's like that fail. Take a bow Jackson. Took his chance so well. We dug in for large parts of the game but everyone stood up. Vickers did well I thought especially as he prob knows what's coming. The atmosphere was great too. Still work to do, I know, but we are so back. Cheers 🍷

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think I’d describe it as a “perfect performance”. If it had been perfect we’d have won my a couple of goals (or more) and not had our backs against the wall for large parts of the game. But let’s not taken anything away from what was a great result, very good tactics (especially given the early injuries and the perceived quality of the opposition) and a gritty defensive performance full of character.

I think @Chester40 is probably meaning it's the perfect type of performance when we're outgunned, as we undoubtedly were today. That is, be clinical when you get a chance and defend like your lives depend on it when you're under the pump. We did both, despite ****face Madeley's idiosyncratic interpretation of the rules AND losing two key players in the first 30 minutes.

And yes, I do have my Derby gogs on, two pairs in fact 😋

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

All due respect, comparing Matt Clarke and Sonny Bradley is laughable. The latter couldn’t even get into a League One side last season, whereas the former is probably one of the best CBs to play for Derby in my lifetime. The difference in quality both off the ball and in particular on it is an absolute chasm. 

Or you could just recognise a good performance without having to put a negative spin on everything?

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You really should take consolation from the fact that Bradley is at least  playing much better than this time last year- that should count for something.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Or you could just recognise a good performance without having to put a negative spin on everything?

Where am I pitting a negative spin on things? I was just responding to a comment saying we don’t need to upgrade Bradley, which I wholeheartedly disagree with. It’s not related to his performance today, which was decent.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Where am I pitting a negative spin on things? I was just responding to a comment saying we don’t need to upgrade Bradley, which I wholeheartedly disagree with. It’s not related to his performance today, which was decent.

You know what you’re doing. Downplaying Bradley’s ability whilst at the same time overstating Matt Clarke’s because it gives you an opportunity to be negative.