Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing the new players for the first time live/seeing how they worked together or didnt, I enjoyed seeing Nyambe back, I enjoyed seeing Fozzy being Fozzy, I enjoyed seeing Tommo going from being shaky to finding his feet to scoring a great goal, I enjoyed watching the Chesterfield fans having fun, I enjoyed simple things like how totally chuffed the ball boy was when NML ruffled his hair, I enjoyed the, albeit brief, flashes of how this team could play when they settle, I enjoyed the precious 5 hours there and back in the car with my youngest son, and chatting and laughing with him during the game ahead of him going to Uni, I enjoyed just being back in Pride Park after the summer, and I enjoyed watching and supporting the frustrating team my dad did through thick and thin a couple of weeks after he died. 
I am not being positive for the sake of it, I am not lying but do appreciate that we're on a rebuild and am willing to see where it goes this season and enjoy being at PP for what it is and what it means. Some fans seem to be determined to have a downer on absolutely everything and everyone from the very very start of the season which is their right. But others have the right to be more positive and there really is no need to be quite so derisive of and superior to those who can still enjoy the match and/or match-day generally. Doesnt mean we're wearing rose-tinted glasses or lying and may well be moaning and groaning ourselves if the team doesnt gel, and we're abject with no sign of improvement in in the next 2-3 months but I dont expect to be watching prime Barcelona at this point. 

Great post!

39 minutes ago, Day said:

Yet unless you absolutely humiliate the lower league opposition, in what is the 2nd competitive game of the season, it’s a game that signals we’re in for a tough season.

Great point. The conclusions some people can draw from one game really seem to be made without any understanding of context or any previous knowledge of football.

The best one is "if Chesterfield had been a team of championship players, we'd have got thrashed". And this in a game where we had a few good chances and they hardly had any.

If Chesterfield had been a team of championship players, then it would have been a different game! 

I like reading the matchday threads after the game as lots of differing opinions on who played well and what people think happened. The attention seeking wild conclusions can make things boring though. I think they are best dealth with a laughing emoji and no comment, else the thread just ends up about them.

A win and job done ,, we need to cut out the mistakes and sloppy stuff for the champ , it’s early days,

one minute I think ozo is levels above and will be massive this season then he can look a liability but have to remind myself he’s only 19 , brown in my view is not quite ready and would loan him out but we need a decent striker in before close of window , not feeling overly optimistic for sat but that’s often when derby lift it and prove me wrong ,, 

also , I see the wums are back😢

First time I’ve watched any Derby game live or on tv/rams tv this season, didn’t watch any preseason, not watched any football since the Euros until this weekend. 

Don’t see how anyone can really grumble. It was job done, we played at about 70-80% and although it was only 2-1 it was comfortable with exception of about 10 mins in first half after they scored with their first shot. Vickers and the back 4 had an easy night, and we really should’ve scored a couple more. After Thommos wondergoal the game was never in doubt.

Fozzy was excellent apart from one error should probably start at the weekend. Some fans around me were slating Kenzo after he hit bar questioning what we’ve signed - completely ignoring the rest of his performance where he looked tidy. Ozoh grew as game went on. Good minutes for some players. Thought Brown did well, he was a handful but then his awful touch when played through on goal proved he probably isn’t quite ready, this despite being super unlucky with a header just a few minutes earlier. 

We can play a lot better than that, we approached it as a preseason game for large parts and still got the job done, so all positive for me. 

8 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I said we deserved to win. It shouldn't be seen as arrogant to expect that as a Derby fan. My point was we played the game on their level - a League Two team - because that's where we are tactically. How can people praise a game as boring as that?

You are backtracking…..revisit your previous posts.

Decent enough game. We were the better team. Had Wilson scored I believe the game would have been more straightforward. Instead shortly after they scored and the whole balance shifted. We got back into it through a great effort from Tommo. Then carried on being the most likely looking team.

Overall I think I counted 4 players out of the starting 11 who I’d expect to be in out strongest team come September. Take Kenzo and Ozoh out the starting 11 and that’s pretty much our L1 team from last season with a ST who was in the national league. 

Biggest take away is it’s a win on the board regardless of opponent and competition. 

Only saw the highlights so very much a limited comment.

Is Tommo going to become a genuine attacking midfielder ? Great goal but more than that his pass and move instincts are looking increasingly good. He’s popped up with more than one now and good ones at that. Huge confidence boost, I think he might have given Warne a headache. Kenzo, Ebou, Ozoh, Tommo. We’ve got the makings of a class midfield. Cash looked better so hopefully he’s found his better boots after a poor preseason. Get the defence balance right and Jerry Yates off to a good start and we’ll do ok. Patience. Can’t wait for Saturday but it’s going to be a nervous afternoon for me. Love a win but play well get something will do at this stage. 

10 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Did you not watch the game? Chesterfield 54% possession is a hint

After we went 2 - 1 up it felt like we were happy to sit back in a low block while they were passing it around the back.

How many times do you see top teams just close the game out by passing it around to just kill the clock. Luckily for us, Chesterfield were playing like they were winning and just kept hold of the ball for 20 minutes by passing it around the back and their holding midfielders. At no point did they force their way forward into a dangerous position in the final 20 minutes.

9 hours ago, The Running Man said:

So just got back home, and I'm gonna chicken peck some thoughts onto my keyboard. A little stressed after Ripley maccies were ruddy useless and took half an hour to make me a chicken sandwich, so hope that doesn't come out in the text...

I predicted a loss, 0-2 I think was my guess, based on the fact that we never seem to turn up for cup games or friendlyies. Not just the fans, but the team too. I was wrong on that, they seemed to put a bit of effort in. We were all over them until their goal against the run of play, I didn't see the Thompson mistake as I was distracted by a child sat near me looking for a bottle of coke she had lost then it all went to pot for a while until Liam made up for his apparent mistake.

After that and in the second half we grew into it, seemed to dominate for chances, if not thoroughly in possession, purely because their goalkeeper had it a lot presumably.

Didn't rate Ozoh much but I accept that my general negativity towards loan singings may have made me bias there, so will accept if people disagree. Though Fozzy was MotM, Wilson did good while he was on, and Brown had a few good chances, gutted he didn't bag one.

Happy with the result overall. Chesterfield fans thoroughly good bantz, probably outsung Derby for 90% of the game but that's down to the club deciding not to open the South stand. I get the reasons for not opening the full stadium, even if I don't agree with them, but not opening the South Stand as well as the East is 100% a mistake. I know so many people who didn't go because they couldnt have a SS ticket and I reckon there's a lot more.

Hopefully a decent draw that gets fans excited in the next round.

Watched the game on TV (don’t worry, I’ll take my penance later 😀) and would largely agree.

Thompson had a poor start, far too easily out muscled, but grew into the game and overall played well.

Although not a great performance, I don’t think Ozoh was as bad as some are suggesting. I hoped he’d do the same as at Blackburn and grow into the game like Thompson but he didn’t quite make it.

Brown had a reasonable performance but failed to test the keeper when presented with two half decent chances. Imagine if they’d gone in, he’d be nailed on to start on Saturday. But alas, it wasn’t to be.

It wasn’t a scintillating performance but it was OK and I enjoy any game Derby win.

Regarding the crowd, we’ll never know but I really don’t think opening the South Stand would have made much of a difference to the attendance. There would have been more singing but they would still have struggled to out sing Chesterfield but only because that is the nature of football - a local underdog on their big day out compacted together in a small area of the ground are always going to make a lot of noise (probably even if we’d scored a couple of early goals and gone on to win more convincingly).

9 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I said we deserved to win. It shouldn't be seen as arrogant to expect that as a Derby fan. My point was we played the game on their level - a League Two team - because that's where we are tactically. How can people praise a game as boring as that?

And this is exactly why your opinions are literally laughed at. 

You state that we are tactically a ‘League 2 team’ when we won promotion from League 1 last year? Are you saying we have now changed tactics to play league 2 football? 

I am no fan of blind optimism, but it does have its place and can still be encouraging (see B4 rip)

Blind pessimism is purely destructive and usually driven by an agenda, jealousy or inferiority. You pick. 

1 hour ago, R@M said:

Blind pessimism is purely destructive and usually driven by an agenda, jealousy or inferiority. You pick. 

Or doesn't understand the game, One poster I'll call him "David Nixon" posts that Vickers was out of position for their goal, Where was he supposed to position himself...on the bar, In the empty seats behind the goal, Maybe the far post, Vickers positioned himself in the middle of the goal, He had 4 choices, Stand in the middle on the line and don't move, Dive to the left or dive to the right or come out and make yourself bigger and close the angle down.

I was out for a meal a few weeks back, Some thought it was great, I thought it was average...opinions aye...who'd ave em 😉

11 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Just got home from watching us comfortably and professionally beat a decent and massively motivated side.

I seem to gave crossed into a parallel universe somewhere along the way judging by these opinions.

They never had a kick before the goal, and we created a good half dozen great chances with a rookie striker and a heavily rotated side.

Job done. Signings to come. Enjoy life a bit folks.

Being at the game, and reading on here is a completely different experience.

We won. Some good points, alongwith some bad. Hopefully we'll get better at reducing the mistakes and errors. Had we taken the changes we made we'd have comfortably won the game. Showed we desperately need a striker. Happy for Fozzie to keep his place on Saturday, we seemed a lot more secure with him at LB. Thought Thompson was MOTM, tireless performance in midfield, crowned with a great goal.

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

We won. Some good points, alongwith some bad. Hopefully we'll get better at reducing the mistakes and errors. Had we taken the changes we made we'd have comfortably won the game. Showed we desperately need a striker. Happy for Fozzie to keep his place on Saturday, we seemed a lot more secure with him at LB. Thought Thompson was MOTM, tireless performance in midfield, crowned with a great goal.

But some posters on here would have been happy to see him subbed before his great goal, goes to show  you have got to give players more than 20 mins before making judgements.