Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

44 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I'd love that to be true but 7 wins is more likely than 7th place this season.Couldnt tell who the championship side was tonight.

40 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

THEY'RE IN LEAGUE TWO! They outplayed us for large spells in the game. Embarrassing.

Just got home from watching us comfortably and professionally beat a decent and massively motivated side.

I seem to gave crossed into a parallel universe somewhere along the way judging by these opinions.

They never had a kick before the goal, and we created a good half dozen great chances with a rookie striker and a heavily rotated side.

Job done. Signings to come. Enjoy life a bit folks.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Our football was better apart from the last 15 mins.

I think our football was more effective but theirs was easier on the eye. It isn’t a criticism as such as we got the win and actually it’s only the order of the goals that made it look anything other than comfortable. 

Unfortunately for me it highlighted faults in how we press teams again. We just aren’t coached well enough at pressing - it’s really easy for teams to play through us when we try and press. This needs to be semi automatic with the players. They see a trigger and they know when to go and how to go. 

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am not sure what you expect.

After a quite torrid preseason and shipping 4 goals in our first league game it was important to get a win tonight and put in a half decent performance at the same time which we did. 

The torrid preseason wasn't just a natural occurrence. It was the managers fault for ruining it. Why are you praising him for slightly improving on it?

Its sad that it appears a lot of our fanbase's standards have dropped so much that they regard that as a 'decent performance' 

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You're the one out on your own here. Everyone else is being sensible with commentary, you're the one massively overreacting.

I'm the only one not being positive for the sake of it. Anyone saying that game was in any way enjoyable to watch is lying. I just want to watch an enjoyable game again. 

8 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Did you not watch the game? Chesterfield 54% possession is a hint

Ironically it doesn't sound like you watched the game, we had more possession before their first goal and right up until our second goal. We didn't press as much after our second, creating a mid-low block which meant Chesterfield were recycling the ball largely unchallenged around their defence.

Luton had 58% possession against Burnley last night, for example. It's situational - some teams put more emphasis on keeping the ball than others, Swansea for example: 919 passes tonight. 94% accuracy. The two centre backs made 281 passes on their own - more than Gillingham made the entire night. It's constantly moving the ball, backwards and sideways, waiting for gaps. They did the same against Boro on Saturday and got beat comfortably, despite having 64% of the ball. Boro missed 5 big chances in the game, Swansea failed to register a shot on target. 

Warne likes the ball to be moved forward at pace, therefore we're never going to be a possession-based side. He likes players to take chances, he likes forward runners and he likes players to play into space. It can come across as less polished, but the ideology behind it is solid - you're always more likely to score against teams when they're unsettled out of possession, recycling the ball backwards and sideways allows them to get into shape and then it becomes a chess match. Ironically, like with Swansea, sometimes the players will keep it so very risk-averse that they can go a match with 4 shots on goal and zero on target because the 'right pass' didn't present itself. 

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I'm the only one not being positive for the sake of it. Anyone saying that game was in any way enjoyable to watch is lying. I just want to watch an enjoyable game again. 

I mean it's not a game anyone will remember in a months time. But it's not worth screaming and flailing our arms and legs in a tanty about. It was decent. It's annoying that you feel the need to be so melodramatic about a fine enough performance. 

Edited by Andicis

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Super impressed by Liam Thompson tonight. That mistake could have ruined his night but he grew into the game - top stuff 

Yes Thompson was very good overall.  Cracking strike for the equaliser & liked his overall composure & quality in the final 3rd. It was his ball that set Brown up for an easy chance after an hour & another great ball with outside of foot to set NML up late on. We have very few players in the squad with that ability & Id like to see him in the starting XI whether in a 3 man CM or at wing back.

As to the game overall, yes we had understated control of it throughout (if not of the actual ball). Impressed with Chesterfield, played some great stuff & think they'll do well in League 2 this season. Top support too.

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You can repeat it as many times as you like, League 2 or not, they were not the better side and we deserved the win. Your final point is open to debate.

I said we deserved to win. It shouldn't be seen as arrogant to expect that as a Derby fan. My point was we played the game on their level - a League Two team - because that's where we are tactically. How can people praise a game as boring as that?

1 minute ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I said we deserved to win. It shouldn't be seen as arrogant to expect that as a Derby fan. My point was we played the game on their level - a League Two team - because that's where we are tactically. How can people praise a game as boring as that?

Because they have their own opinion 

31 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How many shots did they have then? Quite a few I would imagine, more than us if they were all over us 🤣

12 shots to 6 considering the huge gap between the clubs and the fact we were at home is really nothing to shout about. However, its not just about how many shots there were. Chesterfield controlled large parts of the game and played it through/around us very easily at times. Our pressing was yet again completely disjointed, and if it wasnt for the fact the majority of their players are National league / League 2 quality we'd have been in real trouble.

11 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

The torrid preseason wasn't just a natural occurrence. It was the managers fault for ruining it. Why are you praising him for slightly improving on it?

Its sad that it appears a lot of our fanbase's standards have dropped so much that they regard that as a 'decent performance' 

Could be that you are so “anti-Warne” and biased, that you can’t see what is in front of you!

Just now, Chris_Martin said:

12 shots to 6 considering the huge gap between the clubs and the fact we were at home is really nothing to shout about. However, it’s not just about how many shots there were. Chesterfield controlled large parts of the game and played it through/around us very easily at times. Our pressing was yet again completely disjointed, and if it wasnt for the fact the majority of their players are National league / League 2 quality we'd have been in real trouble.

You are correct, if they had some Premier League players and maybe a Ronaldo or two we would have been in real trouble. 

Right everyone put your hands up if you have ever been any good at football and then put your hands up if you have been any good at coaching?

My bet is, you are as good as playing the game and coaching it as you are as watching it!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Up The Rams 🐏

………No hands to be seen on here!

So just got back home, and I'm gonna chicken peck some thoughts onto my keyboard. A little stressed after Ripley maccies were ruddy useless and took half an hour to make me a chicken sandwich, so hope that doesn't come out in the text...

I predicted a loss, 0-2 I think was my guess, based on the fact that we never seem to turn up for cup games or friendlyies. Not just the fans, but the team too. I was wrong on that, they seemed to put a bit of effort in. We were all over them until their goal against the run of play, I didn't see the Thompson mistake as I was distracted by a child sat near me looking for a bottle of coke she had lost then it all went to pot for a while until Liam made up for his apparent mistake.

After that and in the second half we grew into it, seemed to dominate for chances, if not thoroughly in possession, purely because their goalkeeper had it a lot presumably.

Didn't rate Ozoh much but I accept that my general negativity towards loan singings may have made me bias there, so will accept if people disagree. Though Fozzy was MotM, Wilson did good while he was on, and Brown had a few good chances, gutted he didn't bag one.

Happy with the result overall. Chesterfield fans thoroughly good bantz, probably outsung Derby for 90% of the game but that's down to the club deciding not to open the South stand. I get the reasons for not opening the full stadium, even if I don't agree with them, but not opening the South Stand as well as the East is 100% a mistake. I know so many people who didn't go because they couldnt have a SS ticket and I reckon there's a lot more.

Hopefully a decent draw that gets fans excited in the next round.