Gareth Southgate Resigns as England Manager

Wolfie

Brought pride back in playing for England when it was pretty much a chore to leave your disapproving club, get slated by disconnected fans, inevitably lose in disgraceful circumstances and possibly be a scapegoat for the whole thing. 

Enjoying this England set up has made be all the more bitter towards the Sven/Capello time when our seemed to think they'd already achieved stardom and tournaments were PR stunts their wives could get in on. 

Now time to kick on and I think Nigel Pearson, 442 with call ups for Michael Keane, James Milner and Solly March. Proper players

Class statement from Southgate, I'm sure the FA will be very sad to see him go.

Having said all of that I think its common knowledge now that most people think he has taken us as far as he can.  Personally I think he was too reactive, set up not to lose, only letting the players off the leash a bit when they were behind rather than stamping authority on games from the beginning.

It will be interesting to see who the FA appoint next, whether they go for a manager with a bit of personality and tactical knowhow or another safe company man. 

I think the timings right.  He was what we needed at the time as we were in a mess.  He brought strong leadership, galvanised the team and the country, and got rid of the cliques in the dressing room.  But too defensive for todays football.  And at the risk of inflating @Bris Vegas ego, on The Rest is Football podcast, Lineker says his record against the Top 10 teams is won 7 out of 29, so 25%.  No matter what your thoughts, that’s not good enough if you’re going to win tournaments.

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

He has improved so much, just not the football  😢

The long wait goes on.  
His successor needs to English - otherwise many of the good things will be lost 

You know when they start linking names like Poch and Klopp though, it gets a little bit exciting. 

You know, because the FA are likely to go for Lee Carsley or Lampard when they look at English/British. That's just what the FA do. 

I mean, if you try to put yourself in the mindset of the FA it probably isn't too late for Harry Redknapp. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I worry that, as much as we might get a better manager, we might also lose some of the good things that Southgate brought to the table. The culture he developed was a great asset, and he was involved in every part of England FC. Would a Klopp get involved with the day to day running of st. Georges park, or would they just turn up when it’s game time?

The Football Ramble Podcast made an interesting point. They suggested the FA should essentially now take the role of a football civil service. Identifying and preserving the principles and practices introduced by Southgate that truly worked, while giving the new manager the freedom to put their own stamp on things.

Will probably never happen though!

Disappointed as I was getting to like the walking football style. On paper his record is excellent and will go down in history as one of our most successful managers. Would love an attack minded replacement to get 100% out of this very talented group. 

Will be interesting to revisit this topic after the next tournament when his replacement has served us up the free-flowing, skilful players off the leash, attacking football that we are all clamouring for...and we've been knocked out early doors because we kept getting hit on the break by lower-ranked teams playing Southgateball

world cup ringer fc GIF by The Ringer

1 hour ago, Alph said:

You know when they start linking names like Poch and Klopp though, it gets a little bit exciting. 

You know, because the FA are likely to go for Lee Carsley or Lampard when they look at English/British. That's just what the FA do. 

I mean, if you try to put yourself in the mindset of the FA it probably isn't too late for Harry Redknapp. 

I’d assumed Klopp would take some time off then replace Ancelotti at RM 

48 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Will be interesting to revisit this topic after the next tournament when his replacement has served us up the free-flowing, skilful players off the leash, attacking football that we are all clamouring for...and we've been knocked out early doors because we kept getting hit on the break by lower-ranked teams playing Southgateball

world cup ringer fc GIF by The Ringer

Either that or we've won the tournament and beat all of the FIFA top 10 on the way to doing it.

We may well look back and think these were the glory years. We will definitely miss his class,  his calm,  his organisational skills, his qualifying campaigns.... a hell of a lot more.

But we have been terrible to watch this tournament and his reaction has been wrong for me.

Record books will say runners-up, but we have been so disappointing and he had become ever more negative.. so the time has come to part ways because we had exhausted his approach which has been 90% successful.