Transfer rumours

38 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Looks like Ebiowei is signing for Oxford. Shame. Think that would have been a good option for us.

Wouldnt work as wingback, isn't a striker. Could potentially have played as an inside forward in a 343 formation but Warne doesn't to the play formations with out and out wingers by choice. The blacket Taylor deal looks stranger by the day. 

36 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I don't remember Warne ever saying that we would be signing 3 premier league players on loan? Does anyone else?

Of the players linked previous, I am pretty sure I read Hinshelwood went out with Brighton but after checking heir games he did not play a single minute.

Not sure who else is on tour..

He said the following after the match on Saturday;

Dom asked “are you close to any additions?”

PW - “no, honestly no. I’m doing a zoom call on Tuesday with a player but I still can’t have him until he’s in the country, so erm, with the club sorry. Another one hopefully in the pipeline, and one that’s just like, well two. One that’s ticking away under the surface that no one knows about which won’t last forever, and one who again is being kept in the building, erm a loan. I feel like we’ve got the targets that we want to try and get in to try and help this team but until they’re in the building you never know.”

Then there was the question of if that zoom call is with a certain goalkeeper which Warne said it isn’t. On Saturday I thought he was feeding Dom a line, but with the developments out of Sweden yesterday I’m starting to think it was an honest answer.

Listening back to that section of the post match interview to type that out verbatim has me wondering if the zoom call is with a prospective loan player currently on tour “I still can’t have him until he’s back in the country”…. Suggesting maybe a deal agreed in principle but until he returns to the UK we can’t sign him. And the other comment about one being kept in the building makes me think it’s a loanee spending time with their parent club in pre season.

So you could read that as being 3 loans. One who is currently of the country, one who is in the country but at his club for now, and the one ticking away under the surface… but maybe that’s not the case and I’ve wasted a few mins of my life typing it up 🤣 

EDIT - PL clubs who have been or are on tour according to this https://www.premierleague.com/news/3916186 are; Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Brighton, Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Ipswich, Fulham, Wolves and West Ham…. Pretty much all of them 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added info about Pl tours

36 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I don't remember Warne ever saying that we would be signing 3 premier league players on loan? Does anyone else?

Of the players linked previous, I am pretty sure I read Hinshelwood went out with Brighton but after checking heir games he did not play a single minute.

Not sure who else is on tour..

He didn't - he mentioned that he expected three in before Blackburn which is where I imagine the three came from and that he referenced a loan who was 'in the building' or something vaguely on those lines. 

Hinshelwood has been injured (and the expectation was he would rehab at Brighton before a decision was made. He must be due back soon though. 

2 hours ago, OoooMarkWright said:

Cashin wasn’t perceived to be ready when he got his break in the admin season. He’s been brilliant because he was given that chance, granted out of necessity, but his Derby career could’ve been very different.

Ebosele was also considered very raw, however again he was given that chance and it worked out well for him. There isn’t a set way that youngsters make it to first team level. Loans don’t necessarily mean a player will gradually work their way up. Brown is an ideal build and fits the profile of player we need with pace to burn too. In my opinion I’d keep him around and give him a chance. He could save us lots of money. My major critique of Warne is he doesn’t seem keen to unleash young talent. It will be interesting to see how Brown is handled.

All good points but then conversely we were forced by circumstance to play Whittaker too early when he wasn’t ready and look what he’s since gone onto achieve. We may have ended up having to sell him anyway due to admin situation and at least by playing him we generated Swansea interest to get a fee, but I’d say playing him too early didn’t really help either party and it took him a move to Swansea and then another move to Plymouth to prove he was ready 

47 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He said the following after the match on Saturday;

Dom asked “are you close to any additions?”

PW - “no, honestly no. I’m doing a zoom call on Tuesday with a player but I still can’t have him until he’s in the country, so erm, with the club sorry. Another one hopefully in the pipeline, and one that’s just like, well two. One that’s ticking away under the surface that no one knows about which won’t last forever, and one who again is being kept in the building, erm a loan. I feel like we’ve got the targets that we want to try and get in to try and help this team but until they’re in the building you never know.”

Then there was the question of if that zoom call is with a certain goalkeeper which Warne said it isn’t. On Saturday I thought he was feeding Dom a line, but with the developments out of Sweden yesterday I’m starting to think it was an honest answer.

Listening back to that section of the post match interview to type that out verbatim has me wondering if the zoom call is with a prospective loan player currently on tour “I still can’t have him until he’s back in the country”…. Suggesting maybe a deal agreed in principle but until he returns to the UK we can’t sign him. And the other comment about one being kept in the building makes me think it’s a loanee spending time with their parent club in pre season.

So you could read that as being 3 loans. One who is currently of the country, one who is in the country but at his club for now, and the one ticking away under the surface… but maybe that’s not the case and I’ve wasted a few mins of my life typing it up 🤣 

EDIT - PL clubs who have been or are on tour according to this https://www.premierleague.com/news/3916186 are; Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Brighton, Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Ipswich, Fulham, Wolves and West Ham…. Pretty much all of them 

I would think the zoom call is with a player who is on tour with a prem club like you say. One player surely has to be Dembele, that could be the one that’s been ticking away for a while. We have been constantly linked with him and nobody at or around the club has denied it or commented on it. The one being kept in the building, I assume he means they are keeping it under wraps and not letting any info get out about it, so they don’t get gazumped. Any three of those could be Dembele and any could be a loan. One might be Zetterström. I do think we will go all in for Dembele and so we should.

Personally if the rest of our business is Hinselwood, Dembele, and Michael Smith, I will be happy.

6 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

We’ve got a striker who was League One POTS, and managed to score a decent amount of goals in a poor championship team in Yates. 

I don’t think we need another goalscorer, between Yates/NML/Blackett-Taylor/Barks/Jackson and Brown we have goalscorers. Collins might still be decent at this level. 

What we don’t have is a lump of a player up front who can act as the hold up player or the throw on at the end when we are throwing the ball into the box. This seems sensible and round peg for a round hole 

I’m really worried you might be Paul Warne.

The phrase ‘We’ll go with what we’ve got’  would confirm it 😂

7 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

We’ve got a striker who was League One POTS, and managed to score a decent amount of goals in a poor championship team in Yates. 

I don’t think we need another goalscorer, between Yates/NML/Blackett-Taylor/Barks/Jackson and Brown we have goalscorers. Collins might still be decent at this level. 

What we don’t have is a lump of a player up front who can act as the hold up player or the throw on at the end when we are throwing the ball into the box. This seems sensible and round peg for a round hole 

To stay up we need to score about 50 goals. Can’t see why Yates can’t get 10/12 again. Collins only got 3/26 in his last Championship season , we could be looking for another 35 goals . We don’t have a prolific goalscoring defender , so we could do with 6 midfielders to get 5 each . Sounds easy . 

4 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Conversely I can see an argument to say extending Collins for another year and signing another old head like Smith covers the position for the short term and allows Brown to go on loan for his development with a longer term role in the first team planned for when Collins and Smith move on.
There are arguments for both throwing young players into the first team if they’re good enough and for taking a slower “loans for development” approach, success stories exist from both approaches (and failures too) throughout football.

I listened to the @Steve Bloomer's Washing podcast at the weekend and they talked to a Palace chap about David Ozho.  He described his loan with us as being a “finishing loan” in that the plan is he plays regular games and goes back in the summer ready to be part of their 1st team squad.  I think similar with Brown.  He’s had a good 6 months at NL level, I think his development would be best served at a top 8 L1 club.  Play regularly, hopefully get a few goals and come back next season to fill one of the gaps left by Collins, Washington or Yates.

I get the clamour for him to be involved.  But as someone else posted (whoever you are sorry, I can’t remember), if we were signing a striker off the back of a good 6 months in the NL, would we be wanting him as one of our main striking options?  We’d probably be saying it’s one for the future, good to have snapped him up, send him on loan to cut his teeth.

38 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I listened to the @Steve Bloomer's Washing podcast at the weekend and they talked to a Palace chap about David Ozho.  He described his loan with us as being a “finishing loan” in that the plan is he plays regular games and goes back in the summer ready to be part of their 1st team squad.  I think similar with Brown.  He’s had a good 6 months at NL level, I think his development would be best served at a top 8 L1 club.  Play regularly, hopefully get a few goals and come back next season to fill one of the gaps left by Collins, Washington or Yates.

I get the clamour for him to be involved.  But as someone else posted (whoever you are sorry, I can’t remember), if we were signing a striker off the back of a good 6 months in the NL, would we be wanting him as one of our main striking options?  We’d probably be saying it’s one for the future, good to have snapped him up, send him on loan to cut his teeth.

I’m undecided. Part of me sees a lad who is physically on point, seems skillful and has had a decent loan spell. Using those factors I sort of think we’d want him knocking on the door of the matchday squad. Then you listen to tales of younger talents who get too exposed early in careers and get big knocks to confidence that they never get over. Hummm

Strikers are in short supply so while I am not screaming for him to be a starter I think I’d want him around the bench or “up for the cup” … He isn’t 16 with that much physical building to come. I suppose coaches know this stuff and make the judgment calls .. However it is decided, logic tells me deferring to the professionals choices has to be right. 

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Every few hours someone is tagging these guys desperate for info.

Can we give them a break? If they know something they’ll post it if they can.

Otherwise - let’s be patient - it’s not in our control.

Agree. They are the equivalent of annoying f****** kids in the back of the car keep asking ‘are we nearly there’.  I used to drive mine an extra 20 miles if they annoyed me. They never knew, but it always made me smile despite the cost of petrol. Little wins, and all that.

re: Brown and readiness, potential for a bad experience to cause a set back.

One of the biggest, no actually, the biggest plus point we're constantly bombarded with reminders of is Warne's character traits and his man management ability, how he fosters such a good dressing room atmosphere etc.

Surely you would hope that would mitigate the risk and be cited as a reason we should involve our academy players more / earlier? It has been given as the main reason Brighton chose us as the destination for Ozoh, after all

20 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

One of the biggest, no actually, the biggest plus point we're constantly bombarded with reminders of is Warne's character traits and his man management ability, how he fosters such a good dressing room atmosphere etc.

Surely you would hope that would mitigate the risk and be cited as a reason we should involve our academy players more / earlier? It has been given as the main reason Brighton chose us as the destination for Ozoh, after all

Palace

21 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I don't think the Palace fans will take to kindly to Brighton making their transfer decisions for them

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Yea, they need a break like all of us…..

2 hours ago, McMuffin said:

@SECornerRAM @Big Trav any updates lads?

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

I said in another thread, I think it's an indicator of the pessimism about the strength of the squad, and the preseason form ahead of the new season.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I said in another thread, I think it's an indicator of the pessimism about the strength of the squad, and the preseason form ahead of the new season.

With the automatic promotion it feels like we’ve had longer than ever to get everything sorted. It’s only pre season I know but getting beat handsomely by lower league opposition is never a good sign. We don’t seem ready. Hopefully that’s not the case. 

35 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

With the automatic promotion it feels like we’ve had longer than ever to get everything sorted. It’s only pre season I know but getting beat handsomely by lower league opposition is never a good sign. We don’t seem ready. Hopefully that’s not the case. 

Not directing this at you or attacking your comment but just to help people realize why pre season means nothing here’s some results from last years pre season.

Ipswich 

- Lost 2-1 to Cambridge, Lost 2-1 to Stevenage, drew 2-2 to Admira Mödling. 

Southampton 

- Lost every single friendly apart from beating a Reading side who essentially had just youngsters and trialists and drew 1-1 with Goztepe.

Leicester 

-Lost 4-0 to Liverpool, only bet Northampton 1-0.

All three teams got promoted.