UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Re: Southgate

Personally I think he’s has enough cracks of the whip and should be let go. But can’t deny he’s done more than any other manager minus Sir Alf. 

As for his replacement I must admit it’s a bit of a stinger thinking about not having an Englishman in charge. But we haven’t really got an obvious option. Sadly, for whatever reason English managers have not been able to get big jobs or be successful in big jobs.

Think unless we absolutely nail the replacement we could be the in for a couple of tough tournaments. But we’ll have to risk it at some point so why not now. 

my shortlist would be:

Howe    
Potter   
Carsley   
Klopp   

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Re: Southgate

Personally I think he’s has enough cracks of the whip and should be let go. But can’t deny he’s done more than any other manager minus Sir Alf. 

As for his replacement I must admit it’s a bit of a stinger thinking about not having an Englishman in charge. But we haven’t really got an obvious option. Sadly, for whatever reason English managers have not been able to get big jobs or be successful in big jobs.

Think unless we absolutely nail the replacement we could be the in for a couple of tough tournaments. But we’ll have to risk it at some point so why not now. 

my shortlist would be:

Howe    
Potter   
Carsley   
Klopp   

Klopp is the stand out ... he speaks amazing English,  galvanises players, knows our game,  plays attacking football, out of work...

Go and get him.

Edited by Chester40

I would like to thank Gareth for putting England back on the international football map , competing in tournaments , reaching semi finals and finals this is no mean feat  and should not be forgotten , it is now time for Gareth to step aside gracefully and for a manager to come in that as well as competing     
 In these competitions has us winning them , new ideas are needed for us to achieve this

Regarding last night , Englands so called big players , Bellingham, Saka , Foden , Rice and Kane went missing , in Kanes defence I don’t think he has been fit , there is a lot to be proud of in Gareth’s tenure , there are players coming through that will hopefully enable whoever takes over to mould a squad capable of taking us to that elusive trophy

6 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

I would like to thank Gareth for putting England back on the international football map , competing in tournaments , reaching semi finals and finals this is no mean feat  and should not be forgotten , it is now time for Gareth to step aside gracefully and for a manager to come in that as well as competing     
 In these competitions has us winning them , new ideas are needed for us to achieve this

Regarding last night , Englands so called big players , Bellingham, Saka , Foden , Rice and Kane went missing , in Kanes defence I don’t think he has been fit , there is a lot to be proud of in Gareth’s tenure , there are players coming through that will hopefully enable whoever takes over to mould a squad capable of taking us to that elusive trophy

Shaw was our best player. Guehi was next,  then Mainoo. All the subs delivered again.

It's the stars who were undroppable who let us down.  Especially Kane who was embarrassing.

Southgate has been outstanding as England manager and given us all some incredible memories.

His critics have been completely unwarranted for the past three tournaments where I think he’s barely put a foot wrong but all the age old criticisms of him have come true this summer.

2018 World Cup was spectacular, I remember thinking that might be the best it gets for many years, only to have us play brilliantly at Euro 2020 - people forget how well we played that tournament, we completely controlled games and Sterling/Kane were brilliant.

A lot of people point to that final and blame Southgate - it’s widely accepted that we should have gone for it more but it’s easy to forget when we went into half-time 1-0 up, we’d only conceded 1 goal all tournament. It didn’t work out but it wasn’t as mental to sit on that lead as people with the benefit of hindsight make it out to be.

I actually think the Qatar World Cup is the big what if for me, that team was absolutely flying and went toe to toe with France. There’s no shame in losing to them and on another day we easily might have won to go on to be the team facing Argentina in the final.

This tournament has been by far his worst but we still made it to the final. I will remember him extremely fondly but it’s time to go now, he’s lost a lot of the public and, despite having the best crop of English talent to date, we played considerably worse than we have in his tenure.

What he’s achieved with the England set up is incredible, I will miss the outstanding leader and statesman he is but it is time to go. He’ll be ready to move on after nearly a decade of putting up with the spotlight and I think he understands it’s time for someone else to have a go.

The people who think he’s the devil will also moan to high heaven when the FA appoint U21’s manager Lee Carsley.

I don’t think any of Howe, Mancini, Klopp (lol), Tuchel (lol) or Potter will be interested. Southgate’s critics forget that we can’t just grab one of these managers, they also forget that we’re dealing with the largely incompetent FA who’s last two actual appointments were Roy Hodgson and Sam Allardyce ffs.

Carsley’s done a fantastic job with the U21’s, won a tournament and done it playing tactically forward thinking football which got the best out of his squad.

Southgate came from the U21’s, as did de la Fuente, the experience you gain is clearly more transferable than management of a club side you get in training almost every day of the year.

Carsley is also someone you can sack fairly easily after the next World Cup if someone exciting is actually interested.

15 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Southgate has been outstanding as England manager and given us all some incredible memories.

His critics have been completely unwarranted for the past three tournaments where I think he’s barely put a foot wrong but all the age old criticisms of him have come true this summer.

2018 World Cup was spectacular, I remember thinking that might be the best it gets for many years, only to have us play brilliantly at Euro 2020 - people forget how well we played that tournament, we completely controlled games and Sterling/Kane were brilliant.

A lot of people point to that final and blame Southgate - it’s widely accepted that we should have gone for it more but it’s easy to forget when we went into half-time 1-0 up, we’d only conceded 1 goal all tournament. It didn’t work out but it wasn’t as mental to sit on that lead as people with the benefit of hindsight make it out to be.

I actually think the Qatar World Cup is the big what if for me, that team was absolutely flying and went toe to toe with France. There’s no shame in losing to them and on another day we easily might have won to go on to be the team facing Argentina in the final.

This tournament has been by far his worst but we still made it to the final. I will remember him extremely fondly but it’s time to go now, he’s lost a lot of the public and, despite having the best crop of English talent to date, we played considerably worse than we have in his tenure.

What he’s achieved with the England set up is incredible, I will miss the outstanding leader and statesman he is but it is time to go. He’ll be ready to move on after nearly a decade of putting up with the spotlight and I think he understands it’s time for someone else to have a go.

The people who think he’s the devil will also moan to high heaven when the FA appoint U21’s manager Lee Carsley.

I don’t think any of Howe, Mancini, Klopp (lol), Tuchel (lol) or Potter will be interested. Southgate’s critics forget that we can’t just grab one of these managers, they also forget that we’re dealing with the largely incompetent FA who’s last two actual appointments were Roy Hodgson and Sam Allardyce ffs.

Carsley’s done a fantastic job with the U21’s, won a tournament and done it playing tactically forward thinking football which got the best out of his squad.

Southgate came from the U21’s, as did de la Fuente, the experience you gain is clearly more transferable than management of a club side you get in training almost every day of the year.

Carsley is also someone you can sack fairly easily after the next World Cup if someone exciting is actually interested.

Good post.

I've been behind him until this tournament. 

We've dropped off a cliff here.

He's reverted to having a 'clique' and it's not served us.

We've been poor, except the Netherlands game.

He's got everything in place and now we need to move on to someone who can take us over the line.

Such a negative performance last night and in general through the tournament.  We lost with honour against France, should have beaten Italy....and then have regressed despite what the history books will say. 

Edited by Chester40

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

For a rich country with a hugely inflated ego of how we should be winning at football, it feels embarrasing if we get a non-English manager again.

I believe we strangle our talent with tactics that our players do not use for their current teams, Kane has been a beacon for years but as an out and out CF in todays International football you need pace, Foden playing out wide, Palmer coming on as a sub, Watkins similar, Walker went missing last night as Williams found space and used it, Mainoo will be some player as he gets more game time with United, Gallagher is a player that can break up a midfield but not used last night, Bellingham just oozes ability but looked frustrated in this tournament imo, Guéhi I've been very impressed with, Konsor has made that step up.

I believe Graham Potter can mould this England squad into one that can match or beat the worlds top teams, Southgate has another 6 months on his contract, It's time to say thanks Gareth or Gareth to say I've gone as far as I can, Please Gareth don't think you're nearly there with this squad...nearly there isn't good enough it's time for someone else. 

7 hours ago, Alph said:

You're entitled to your opinion but it's pretty universal that Kane was poor from many fans, pundits and ex players.  Even Southgate said something about games coming into tournament and tiredness when asked about Kane specifically. 

But yes, he did come and spray the odd pass out of defensive midfield like the majestic Robbie Savage in his Derby days. 

An alternative way to get the ball would have been to win the odd header, not give it away more than any other England starter (pass accuracy was lowest in regular starters) and to offer some kind threat in the channel or even be a target like the good old Derby days of a Chris Martin with his back to goal. 

He can't lead the pressing either. Maybe he's not fit. Maybe he doesn't suit the tactics. But he was pretty useless and was rightly subbed off again. 

I'm criticising his contribution not ability

Kane just wasn't physically fit because of that back injury. I've seen Sonny Bradley turn faster.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

If Kane wasn't fit (and I don't think he was), both he and Southgate want fcuking.

Nothing but pure selfishness and a total shambles.

We're good in England for picking favourites instead if the right person.

Totally agree that Kane wasn't fit and looked a shadow of his former self, and that his continual inclusion in the starting XI is questionable

But the other side of the coin is that he's won the (joint) golden boot and we wouldn't have made the final without his goals

That's football!

Spain were so far in front of other teams,fitness,organisation and mainly their technical ability,and the manager looks like he knows his team,and has seen the ability of his opponents.

Where will they go in the next world cup,as Spain,and other countries have 2 years,to improve their football,how will Spain perform in front of the South American Countries,Brazil,Argentina,Chile,I hope that I will be around then.

As for the English team,I think it is time for Southgate to go,he did a good job,but if he had been drawn in the other group,then England would have really struggled to win a place in the final.Ferdinand was saying last night that Kane wasnt being played in the place he was used to.He looked really tired at times,he was gulping for air everytime he was shown on camera,maybe he wasnt fit,maybe he hasnt had the gametime some of the English team had played,and both him and Watkins didnt get the service required by a player who was so far forward.

Anyway if we do get a new manager he will have 2 years before the World Cup to bring in New players,mold and transform players into a group who we hope have a chance in the next World Cup.

I think there will be a few sore heads in Spain this morning !

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Very good post.

8 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Totally agree that Kane wasn't fit and looked a shadow of his former self, and that his continual inclusion in the starting XI is questionable

But the other side of the coin is that he's won the (joint) golden boot and we wouldn't have made the final without his goals

That's football!

Ah but if Kane hadn’t been picked, someone else could have scored goals to take us into the final. Southgate’s obsession with starting Kane when he’s obviously lost a yard of pace, was strange. Mind you I was very disappointed with Bellingham. Didn’t match his reputation

My overall nagging thought since last night is that players winning their individual battles might win you a game or even just a phase within a game, but it’s not how you win competitions. You win competitions by controlling the game in the centre of the pitch, something we didn’t do at any point within the euros. Spain lost many one on one battles last night, but controlled the pace of the game and could play on the front foot. 

I can’t offer any solution, honestly don’t think anyone can right at this point but I do think there is an issue with our mentality rather than the talent of the players or the manager.

Should've won and I'd bet my life we would've if the manager wasn't Southgate.

Awful awful manager, some of the best young talent in world football at his disposal and yet plays with two holding midfielders and a cart horse in Kane - Who clearly wasn't fit.

Walker struggled from the off versus Neco Williams, what did Southgate do to address it? Nowt.

We forget how good Saka, Foden and Bellingham are under Southgate, due to the defensive style he's insistent with.

Don't think we'll ever get as good an opportunity to win anything.

Amateur manager, stick to making Pizza Hut commercials 

Edited by Papahet

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I think Southgate's problem with this tournament has been trying to shoehorn in as many form players as he can instead of saying to one of two of them "Sorry lads, but i've got to do what's best for the team".  If he insisted on playing Foden, he should've dropped Saka, if he insisted on playing Bellingham, he should've played him as a No.10, where he plays best, if he insisted on playing Kane, he should've played Gordon on the left & Saka on the right so players with pace were able to get beyond him.  Because he was trying to squeeze Kane, Bellingham & Foden into the same team at points last night we had Kane in the centre of midfield, Bellingham left mid & Foden 5 yards in front of Kyle Walker when we've won the ball.  All of out attackers were in our own half, the Spanish defenders could've stood having a smoke for most of the game, it was that easy for them.

It's okay to have good options, it's using them correctly that counts.  

12 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

My overall nagging thought since last night is that players winning their individual battles might win you a game or even just a phase within a game, but it’s not how you win competitions. You win competitions by controlling the game in the centre of the pitch, something we didn’t do at any point within the euros. Spain lost many one on one battles last night, but controlled the pace of the game and could play on the front foot. 

I can’t offer any solution, honestly don’t think anyone can right at this point but I do think there is an issue with our mentality rather than the talent of the players or the manager.

Just to make it clear how I mean this, think of Derby pre Adams joining in January and how we looked after he joined. 

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Should've won and I'd bet my life we would've if the manager wasn't Southgate.

Awful awful manager, some of the best young talent in world football at his disposal and yet plays with two holding midfielders and a cart horse in Kane - Who clearly wasn't fit.

Walker struggled from the off versus Neco Williams, what did Southgate do to address it? Nowt.

We forget how good Saka, Foden and Bellingham are under Southgate, due to the defensive style he's insistent with.

Don't think we'll ever get as good an opportunity to win anything.

I thought Walker did well against Williams in the first half, as did Shaw against Lamal. But right from the off in the second half, Walker was like a different player and Spain exploited our weak RHS thereafter. Lamal had also clearly been told at HT to drift inside to avoid Shaw and started causing consistent problems because no-one tracked him.

It's unfair to pile all of the blame on Southgate. I don't agree with how he set the team up to play, but some players also need to hold their hands up and admit they either weren't fit enough or just didn't play well. Southgate's loyalty was both a strength and a weakness, but his transformation of England's overall performance since 2018 deserves respect, not abuse 

As to your final comment, I just don't agree. This was possibly our least best chance of winning a trophy under Southgate, because Spain were clearly in outstanding form and beating them was a much taller order than beating Croatia, Italy and France in previous tournaments.