Punching above our weight. What do you think would elevate us above mid table next season?

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Current Skybet odds have us finishing 12th in the Championship. I think with the right recruitment and current squad, that's about right.

It's lunacy, though, because it's all done based on projections of what we could do and budget we may have. 

I don't think there is a club in the Championship that has to make as much ground up as us, albeit that's not necessarily a bad thing either as we can build a squad. However, we have to acknowledge that we really could go either way - if we recruit badly then we don't really have the foundations to lean on. We recruit well then we could be a surprise package, of course.

We also, realistically, have to admit that we have no idea what budgets we are actually working too - if Clowes continues to fund £10m per annum on top of the generated revenue then that's very healthy and competitive. We also don't really know what the transfer approach looks like as for the past two years we've been restricted in the pool of players we had to choose from. Are you going into free agency again, mostly, or are we going to be looking to procure intangible assets - if so, to what value. 

Lot's of unknowns. I think the bookies have probably looked at this and that's why they've got us in the middle of the road for now.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I guess simply you could look at criteria for a big club being:

- Fans in stadium

- Trophies won throughout history

- Seasons in top flight

I think that the above criteria has no bearing on whether a player will choose one club over the other.

I think that more importantly a big club has:

- Wider global audience / reputation

- The ability to attract better players 

- Potential to challenge for major trophies

Villarreal tick the boxes. Derby don’t. Sadly our ceiling is midtable PL and if anything we are becoming a smaller, insignificant club outside of Derby as smaller clubs either catch us up or overtake us in the latter categories.

So last season Luton were a bigger club that Derby?
Bigger global audience due to being a PL club frequently on TV, whilst we only had a few TV games.
They were certainly able to sign better players than we could.
No difference in the ability to challenge for major trophies.

What you refer to are more closely linked to financial power - the more you spend, the more you can attact players and challenge for trophies, whilst also increasing exposure to a wider audience.

Our ceiling isn't "midtable PL". Our ceiling is no different from the likes of Leicester who have shown how a reasonable sized club can still win the league, even if the stars do need to align for it to happen. It's mostly been that way since the 70s anyway, with only Blackburn, Leeds, Forest and Villa (to a lesser degree) being surprise winners since we last won it almost 50 years ago.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So last season Luton were a bigger club that Derby?
Bigger global audience due to being a PL club frequently on TV, whilst we only had a few TV games.
They were certainly able to sign better players than we could.
No difference in the ability to challenge for major trophies.

What you refer to are more closely linked to financial power - the more you spend, the more you can attact players and challenge for trophies, whilst also increasing exposure to a wider audience.

Our ceiling isn't "midtable PL". Our ceiling is no different from the likes of Leicester who have shown how a reasonable sized club can still win the league, even if the stars do need to align for it to happen. It's mostly been that way since the 70s anyway, with only Blackburn, Leeds, Forest and Villa (to a lesser degree) being surprise winners since we last won it almost 50 years ago.

No, I’m not saying that.

Villarreal will be able to attract far better players than Luton because Villarreal are a club who can win European competition and challenge for major honours. 

Villarreal have a global reputation for featuring top class players, playing in elite European competition and challenging.

Luton’s had an increase in reputation due to their promotion to the Premier League.

But players aren’t going to pick Luton over Villarreal. 

30 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Why are you here?  Wouldn't you be happier watching wrestling or something?

I like being here. I’m a big Derby fan. I pay £20 to RamsTV every month. I wouldn’t be here otherwise.

Just because I don’t rate Warne, or I don’t think Derby are a big club, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be here.

I enjoy the forum, and I enjoy reading people’s opinions despite what may appear.

I’m not too fond on the personal jibes, ganging up and to some extent bullying tactics though. The forum doesn’t need all that.

On 21/05/2024 at 15:19, sage said:

I think the key to becoming established and aspiring to be pushing for a top six is keeping the group as a tight nit bunch,

This makes sense. If they all get the nits I’d think it could breed a real sense of togetherness in the squad   You scratch my back … that sort of thing.  

And scratch yourself enough and no one wants to mark you tight 

Posted (edited)

I agree with Bris tbh Derby arent that a big a club maybe for the Championship but not in general. We were probably seen as quite abig club around the late 90s early 2000s when we more recently had some top flight success. But a long time has passed since we were in the top flight and we stunk it out last time so people associate us with that.

Only over 40s see us a big club most younger fans see us as a club to take the piss out of or just know us because of Rooney,Lampard or admin. Hopefully we can restore abit of pride and establish ourselves again if Brighton can achieve as much as they have then there is always a hope but it requires some luck and things be very well run.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I like being here. I’m a big Derby fan. I pay £20 to RamsTV every month. I wouldn’t be here otherwise.

Just because I don’t rate Warne, or I don’t think Derby are a big club, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be here.

I enjoy the forum, and I enjoy reading people’s opinions despite what may appear.

I’m not too fond on the personal jibes, ganging up and to some extent bullying tactics though. The forum doesn’t need all that.

Fair enough.

Don't mind me, just in a bad mood. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The atmosphere at PP in August will be electric it seems.

‘We all hate the Yellow Submarine!’

‘Stand up if you hate Villarreal!’

’If you don’t do the bounce, you’re yellow!’

‘Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching Mexico?’

I'm getting a more Ed Sheeran vibe looking at that horrific thing they play in

image.thumb.png.a3e8180a30eb6ea210a7c80f5a021440.png

Villarreal are s**** 

You play in a Lego house

When things go wrong and you go down  no-one will feckin notice

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Next some will be claiming Paul Warne is a better manager than Unai Emery. 

Or maybe even @chrismartin is a bigger troll than bris vegas 😂

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ganging up , bullying 😂😂😂, here we go again ,,,,, you pick subjects and points of view that you know will fully put you at odds with lots of posters on this forum and let’s be honest they are 99% of the time aimed at putting derby , the manager and players down , that’s fine but don’t pull all this victim poo , you crave attention through negative jibes at the club

Edited by Archied

It's amazing how these topics get side-tracked, it really is.  @Bris Vegas I've only read through the last couple of pages but if you're going to make a claim about us not having any international players since the early 00's, without the caveat that they have to have been from a popular country and have a large personal fan base, then you're going to get called out because what you stated was clearly untrue.

Therefore you shouldn't play the victim card when you get blow back on views which are misinterpreted, due to you not making your point clear.  Also as @Archied has pointed out, a lot of your opinions seem to be at odds to the majority of others on here, and change if they're challenged.  I can remember a fantastic conversation we had about whether points gained or league position was a true barometer of a club progressing, it lasted for days.  What fun that was...

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Ganging up , bullying 😂😂😂, here we go again ,,,,, you pick subjects and points of view that you know will fully put you at odds with lots of posters on this forum and let’s be honest they are 99% of the time aimed at putting derby , the manager and players down , that’s fine but don’t pull all this victim poo , you crave attention through negative jibes at the club

Classy.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Classy.

Why ? That’s the problem today , people want to throw out the bullying or other accusations and we are all supposed just say nothing and not call the accuser out 😂😂😂😂, people are wising up to this tactic , shall we all worry about pulling you up on your constant contrary negative posts that verge on trolling of people to whom derby county is a passion and you enjoy poking with a stick on a regular basis,,, 

classy ( or rather as you mean it not classy ) is winding people up constantly then calling bully when they react as you know they will ,

by all means carry on with the stuff you post but don’t call bullying and play the victim 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 30/05/2024 at 09:09, MadAmster said:

@Rammy03  just to put some context, some perspective into the gates you posted...

Population: Derby 258K. Villareal 52K

Stadium capacity: Derby 33K. Villareal 23K 

Castellon  Province in which Villareal is located has a population of around 575,000 though. It's likely that they draw some support from the provincial capital, Castellon de la Plana, just across the river, which has a population of 175,000 but a football team only in the 3rd tier. Of course, they have the city of Valencia on the southern border of the province, which must also draw some support away. "It's complicated!"