Pre season

3 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Thing you have to remember during pre season as well is most of the training they'll have been doing up until now will be fitness work, specially under Warne, and the fitness will shine through at the latter end of the season, so there all probably foooooked out there at the mo! 

Judge them after at least 10 league games! If we haven't won any and still look bad, then yeah I understand the worrying, but right now come on ffs!!

Up the Rams 🐑

Some didn't get much of a chance to ridicule the team and manager towards the end of last season so any chance they get there straight on them 

I was very hopeful and optimistic about the season ahead, but this pre-season is draining me of much of my hope.

I don’t think Warne and the coaches have handled it well so far. There has been too much experimentation and not enough clarity and conviction in personnel, structure and style.

I completely understand that the results and performances do not necessarily translate into the new season and I completely understand building up fitness and minutes across the squad is necessary, but where’s the direction? I am not thinking to myself that there are good signs and we are just missing a few pieces here and there. Things look completely muddled.

I just think confidence, momentum and the ability to start fast has been lost and that is a big concern. There are no genuine signs of partnerships and structure growing and a new core becoming evident.

At the moment, it looks like Goudmijn + 10 others and that is a worry with less than two weeks to go. We could look disjointed for another six to eight weeks at this rate and that could leave us with a mountain to climb.

2 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Some didn't get much of a chance to ridicule the team and manager towards the end of last season so any chance they get there straight on them 

Tbf I've been pro-Warne all along, I'm saying what I see.

Hopefully all starts to come together soon, just really hard to see what we were trying to do.... other than 'give people a run out'.

Season kicks off very soon. So I'd like to see some emerging shape, or some general patterns or a bit of confidence on the ball....just generally a way of playing that the (some still to come) new arrivals can slip into. 

11 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

So we've all got to be worried because you say so 

It pre season blah blah it doesn’t matter blah blah perhaps the results don’t but performances do you want to see progress throughout the games and a pattern of play emerging. I have watched 2 games where we have barely strung a single effective pattern of play together we are defensively naive and not scoring goals. But don’t worry it will all just slot into place when the season starts. It might but at the moment it’s looking doubtful

Pre-season results rarely matter, but I'd have expected some kind of reaction after Chesterfield. And would like us to have a clear (and good) pattern of play developing. And to look like scoring goals from open play against lower league teams. None of which seem the case.

If we bring in some brilliant starters between now and the window closing, is there confidence Warne will shape an impressive and effective team with them? We have to hope the answer is a resounding "yes!", but it is dispiriting at the moment. 

Pre season or not,when we step out we should be seeing something that identifies as progress and patterns of play etc.

Our remaining recruitment is going to be critical.

If we get that wrong then you've got to think we won't be scoring or creating enough and the defence won't hold out often enough.

It's at least cause for concern right now but obviously lots can still happen to get things going in the right direction. 

I think part of the issue is playing players out of position just to get them on the pitch in the absence of someone who is a natural in that position. An example being at LWB where Elder is our onpy 'natural' option, hence Blackett-Taylor or even Thompson playing there.

If they aren't playing in their natural position, then we're either using a system which doesn't suit them (CBT in a 3412), or they have too many players ahead of them in their position (Thomspon 5th CM).

What we should be doing is drafting U21s into the squad to fill the temporary voids. Gill stepping up to play LWB being an example. The team will look more functional as everyone will know their role, and it also gives the youngsters a chance to impress in a real match.

We still have time to get things right but Warne and the coaches can’t afford to sleepwalk into the season thinking the players will suddenly click.

We need to put down some building blocks so any further incomings can just slot in rather than having to experiment even further.

Looking at the squad, logically we should be playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Cashin and Nelson at centre back, Wilson/Nyambe and Elder/Osborn at full back, Adams, Goudmijn and Ozoh in midfield and Mendez Laing, Collins and Jackson up front.

Start from there and then make tweaks. This continued fixation on three at the back and trying to get players to fit is just eating up precious time.

31 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Would you consider Paul Warne’s comments after the Chesterfield game “ridicule”?

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We still have time to get things right but Warne and the coaches can’t afford to sleepwalk into the season thinking the players will suddenly click.

We need to put down some building blocks so any further incomings can just slot in rather than having to experiment even further.

Looking at the squad, logically we should be playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Cashin and Nelson at centre back, Wilson/Nyambe and Elder/Osborn at full back, Adams, Goudmijn and Ozoh in midfield and Mendez Laing, Collins and Jackson up front.

Start from there and then make tweaks. This continued fixation on three at the back and trying to get players to fit is just eating up precious time.

I agree with most of what you say (including an earlier post). I woupd say we're better suited to 442 at the moment due to lacking midfielders with end product (the AM in a 4231 or runner in a 433). 

My only issue with that is we're recruiting for 3421 / 3412, so it'd not ideal training for one system then switching in a few weeks time.

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think having been relegated several times from this league the last thing Warne and co will he doing is sleepwalking into the season lol