No replays in the FA Cup from the First Round.

It is an utter disgrace, but not unexpected given the cosy relationship between the FA and the Premier League.

If they can do this, then there is nothing to stop them severing the relationship between the FA and the EFL - and the next logical step being the establishment of a 'closed shop' Premier League with no promotion and relegation.

4 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Should’ve done it that after every cup draw both teams get to say in advance whether or not they want a reply if a draw happens. Two nos and it’s extra time and pennos. One club wants it and I’m afraid a reply it is.

I missed this post. Exactly how I feel it should be done. Makes the most sense.

How about those clubs that don't fancy the inconvenience of potential replays being given:

A/  The opportunity to offer their opponent a bye at any given round, and thus foregoing their own opportunity to progress.

or

B/  The opportunity to c*** a snook at the competition as a whole, and not entering (for the upcoming season) in the first place.

Feckham for the cup!  🏆

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It is an utter disgrace, but not unexpected given the cosy relationship between the FA and the Premier League.

If they can do this, then there is nothing to stop them severing the relationship between the FA and the EFL - and the next logical step being the establishment of a 'closed shop' Premier League with no promotion and relegation.

Don't see the issue. All 72 clubs are getting the equivalent of one bang average Crystal Palace player transfer fee plus wage for a year to spread between 72 clubs as compensation. It's a huge sacrifice by the Premier League. 

Speaking of which, have they upped their offer for Ebiowei from 30k yet or are they hoping we've forgotten now they sent him on loan for a fee without coughing up. 

The only football my wife really likes to watch on TV nowadays is the F.A. cup early rounds.

Watching a lower league club win or draw against a team from a higher league is all part of the romance of the FA Cup. 

Hopefully a backlash against this ridiculous decision will make them change their minds but not holding my breath.

They will simply pander to every whim of the teams that keep threatening to leave to a European super league and it will only get worse was my statement when the Premier league was formed and nothing has changed my mind ever since.

Edited by cstand

Easy to sort this out (but it will never happen).

If opposition fans boycotted every game v one of the six clubs who threatened to form their so called European Super League (both home and away games), it would be scrapped in a fortnight.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Easy to sort this out (but it will never happen).

If opposition fans boycotted every game v one of the six clubs who threatened to form their so called European Super League (both home and away games), it would be scrapped in a fortnight.

They wouldn't even notice

Several lower league clubs have issued statements protesting this change.

The BBC has their article about it 24th down on their sports pages, below such riveting headlines as "Moyes issues frosty response at Press conference" and Liverpool players "under pressure" due to Klopp's departure.

Doesn't even feature on their main menu. Says it all, really.

We are irrelevant to the powers that be.

Edited by angieram

It is disgusting, there's so many alternatives to how they could fix this. Ultimately the only clubs this really hurts are the ones who need it in lower leagues and non-league. The worst thing about it, only the Premier League were consulted. Boycott it and the League Cup.

Remove u21 sides from FLT, play them in the FA Cup if you're so scared of fatigue?

Why are the replays removed in rounds way before the bigger teams enter the competition?

Keep replays in rounds 3/4 and then stop them. Also, remove semis from Wembley.

Stop going on pre-season and post-season tours abroad.

I'm slowly starting to think football actually could be better if that Super League happened.

I'm obviously in a minority of 1.

I think its a sensible suggestion. 

It's the cup...its random.  1 match and it goes straight to penalties after 90mins. Only increases the amount of shocks really... draws mean a replay where the bigger team win.

Personally I'd prefer going to a FA Cup game knowing I'm definitely getting a result. Extra-Time, replays are for wimps!

It would not surprise me that the FA Chief Exec Mark Bullingham has taken money from the top 6 for this decision. It would not have been made if they had consulted the clubs first. This needs a strong response from clubs by boycotting the Cup.

It's totally crazy how weak our football institutions are when it comes to dealing with the big clubs. At least in France and Germany they force the bigger team to play as the away team as they got rid of replays in the 70's. They even force the squad numbers in france to still be 1-11 and they cannot make too many changes from the previous league fixture. 

and such a week response from the EFL - rather than issue a strongly worded 'this is completely unacceptable, we'll be looking at our options' statement, they've asked if the the PL would very much mind (pretty please) giving the EFL some compensation payments....pathetic (as we should expect)...

6 hours ago, cstand said:

Watching a lower league club win or draw against a team from a higher league is all part of the romance of the FA Cup.

Ah, the romance of the cup. So poignant until a ball is kicked and then - 99% of the time - it just becomes a game between two teams, one of which is clearly better than the other.

Anyone remember Milwall getting to the final? Portsmouth? Fulham? Nope - because we think that Wimbledon, Wigan and Sunderland are how it always is even though out of >50 finals in my lifetime only 2-3 have been anywhere near like this. Same logic goes for all the games in prior rounds - for every Hereford, Sutton or Maidstone there is an endless supply of 3-0 and 4-1 boreathons.

And the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist, Disneyland is just there to separate you from your money, Easter Bunny is just marketing and Valentines Day only benefits florists.

Thank you!