No replays in the FA Cup from the First Round.

Total corporate bull5hit, but to be honest, thats all we get as citizens nowadays, nevermind football fans.

Why are there too many games? Becuse there are too many crappy European leagues/cups now, which coincidentally just happens to benefit those right at the top of the Prem.

Barstards.

Grumpy by name....

Edited by Grumpy Git

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/19/efl-statement--fa-cup-replays/

This latest agreement between the Premier League and the FA, in the absence of financial reform, is just a further example of how the EFL and its Clubs are being marginalised in favour of others further up the pyramid and that only serves to threaten the future of the English game.  

EFL going all out. Fair play.

Playing devil's advocate here, do we know that the FA didn't consult with the EFL clubs directly and get their views on replays in the 1st and 2nd rounds? I would have thought that most clubs would see replays in the first and second rounds as an expensive inconvenience.

Technically speaking the EFL is a seperate competition and is only involved in making sure that their fixture list allows for their clubs to be able to play in the the FA Cup. In fact, stopping first and second round replays, will free up 2 midweeks before Xmas for league fixtures.

Is this a case of the EFL organisation throwing their dummy out of the pram, because they're upset that the FA approached clubs playing in their competition went directly to the clubs rather than going through the EFL?

Edited by ram59
Extra information

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Quite simple then.  Withdraw the clubs from the competition.  

Agree. 

I get the fixture congestion line that's always trotted out with this kind of thing, but there are far better solutions than this. Why not increase the Premier League squad lists from 25 to say, 30, and make them actually play some of the vast amounts of talent that the Premier League clubs hoover up from the lower leagues?

As a point of reference, re fixtures - Man City played 61 games in total last year. Winning the treble. In 71-72 we won the league, and neither the FA Cup, or League Cup, and had no European impediments, and we played 60 games. 

Edited by StaffsRam

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s already got barely any value, with the FA Cup already in existence.

For me, scrap the EFL Trophy and replace it with an EFL cup only for non-premier league teams. Give Championship teams the hope of winning something.

Totally agree.  Not only would Championship clubs have a chance of a major trophy, top end L1 clubs too.  Given the luck of the draw it would be quite feasible for teams in the top 6 of L1 getting to the semi-finals.

Makes me laugh when they talk about player welfare.  The PL clubs put out weakened sides in both cup completions anyway.  And they can afford to do so given the size of there squads.  All it means is someone who’s usually sat on the bench plays a couple of games less each season.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Headline

FA Cup replays scrapped: The Football Association says 'all parties accepted' decision

Body of text

The EFL has urged the FA to "re-evaluate their approach", stating there was "no agreement" prior to the deal being announced and no "formal consultation".

My take on it is, It was mooted with the EFL some time ago...but no agreement, FA/EPL then go ahead and confirm "no replays" this was "accepted" with the EFL in earlier talks 😁

In reality, The FA and EPL know that those at the EFL have no real power and are a lame duck...so go ahead with the announcement as "all agreed" 

The sooner we have a regulated body the better...one hopes 😉 

Could be a spectacular own goal from the PL & the FA - goverrnment now demanding answers and Starmer apparently also not happy with them. In an election year that could speed up the introduction of the new regulator far more quickly than the authorities anticipated.....

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Agree. 

I get the fixture congestion line that's always trotted out with this kind of thing, but there are far better solutions than this. Why not increase the Premier League squad lists from 25 to say, 30, and make them actually play some of the vast amounts of talent that the Premier League clubs hoover up from the lower leagues?

As a point of reference, re fixtures - Man City played 61 games in total last year. Winning the treble. In 71-72 we won the league, and neither the FA Cup, or League Cup, and had no European impediments, and we played 60 games. 

Peterborough will have played 64 games this season if they win the play-offs.

f*** City and f*** their treble.

29 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Sky TV, Premier League, FA, EFL, UEFA, FIFA - they can all f*** off as far as I am concerned. 

I'd agree, but would add the caveat that should we get back to back promotions this season and next, I hereby reserve the right to rescind my stance!  👀

5 hours ago, maxjam said:

Headline

FA Cup replays scrapped: The Football Association says 'all parties accepted' decision

Body of text

The EFL has urged the FA to "re-evaluate their approach", stating there was "no agreement" prior to the deal being announced and no "formal consultation".

So, basically, the FA lied.

"Player welfare" - drives me nuts. Notwithstanding the fact that we are talking about playing football here, the Premier League teams all have massive squads and already rotate like mad. Nevertheless, this comes down to the managers and coaches not managing their squads appropriately.  If you have to play 65 games a year, then you train and play like a team that plays 65 times a year. They should be able to manage that with their huge team of coaches, fitness gurus, health and nutritionists and all the technology at their disposal. Here is an idea too - play a style that doesn't need them to run 30 miles in a match. Adapt. Overcome. It really does p*** me off.

Why also not just be truthful? Its about a few big clubs making more money. If its all about 'player welfare' then ban all foreign trips and extra friendlies. But of course, that wouldn't benefit the Big 6.  Sickening.  Hope they have to do an embarrassing climb down.