Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

17 minutes ago, alfaskye said:

Would have liked to have been there today, but wife is away so can't get.

Always look forward to the match thread but can I make a plea that if things aren't going well that we all revert to moaning and we hardly get any match updates ( @Caerphilly Ram being a notable exception thanks).

Thanks in anticipation.

UTR

I'll start things off...

Oh!  FFS... 

30 minutes ago, alfaskye said:

Would have liked to have been there today, but wife is away so can't get.

Always look forward to the match thread but can I make a plea that if things aren't going well that we all revert to moaning and we hardly get any match updates ( @Caerphilly Ram being a notable exception thanks).

Thanks in anticipation.

UTR

I’m in Newquay on a mate’s stag, as a result I don’t know that I’ll be able to follow the match so there’s less danger of my incessant optimism spoiling people’s day 😉 

15 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

What sort of 3 at the back? Fozzy, Cash, Nelson, with each of them making regular visits to the oppo’s box? Served us pretty well until Fozzy was crocked. And where are your midfielders sitting in this 3 at the back? The obsession on here with formation is bewildering, far more important is what field positions players take within the formation. And if those 3 are fit imo we want each of them at CB 

Well Cashin is the only one who ventured forward a little but that was it. Fans are obsessed with the wingbacks Wilder used to play at Sheff Utd but there the centre backs on either side (Basham etc) regularly used to be making overlapping runs to the bye line.

Secondly - our three at the back often had two holding mids to go with it. Adams and Smith are holders, CH is more a holding player now, Fornah is more defensive than offensive. So together with the Wing backs often playing like full backs, we we just left with three offensive players to do anything and the lack of options for our defenders to pass to was alarming.

For me, we just don’t have options, attacking flair or ability by pass/move (as Warne can’t coach pass and move as a way to create space and opportunity). So our tactics are try and give it to the wingers and hope they create something or win a second ball that’s lumped into the channels. Therefore, as Nelson and Cashin are very good defenders in this league, I just want more forward players on the pitch.

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

The thing is, I don't think that our fullbacks are good enough defensively in a back four, when having to go forwards as well, the extra help from the 'spare' cb gives me a bit more confidence.

That extra help comes from having two holding midfielders, otherwise why have two holding mids?

Leaving in 20mins...

Not decided whether to skip there, or just saunter.

It feels like I SHOULD be skipping... but... well... this is Derby County afterall.

What will others be doing?

... And why is my stomach churning?  I'm a grown man, FFS! 🙄