Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

I didn't think NML was too bad last night and 100% I wouldn't be resting him.   

That said he is more effective wide and for me if it was thought he wasn't doing it centrally he'd be in the team over CBT, Ward. Barkhuizen, Wilson or any of the other wide options.   Yes that bunch have been good at times but NML has been better more consistently. 

14 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Only thing I’d add to this is that NML gives the ball away in dangerous positions when he isn’t on the wing. He can’t hold the ball when running back to our goal to receive it. His touch often lets him down.  He also runs square across the pitch and telegraphs passes leaving us on the back foot if the ball is intercepted. Safest place for him and the team is on the wing. Even if that means 30 mins against a tired defence 

I don't disagree with you - but I'm not having our leading G&A player sitting on the bench with four games to go. 

So the options are - either drop Ward, put NML on the wing in his true position and put someone else into the ten spot (When is Bird back?)

or keep it as is. To be honest - if Bird isn't back, I'd still keep it as it is and accept we have those weaknesses in his play in this position.

Who would you replace him with?

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Great strike, but that view gives a clear sight of the handball. 

No use complaining about it though.

From that angle it looks as if the ball glanced Cashin's shoulder on the way through

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

I don't disagree with you - but I'm not having our leading G&A player sitting on the bench with four games to go. 

So the options are - either drop Ward, put NML on the wing in his true position and put someone else into the ten spot (When is Bird back?)

or keep it as is. To be honest - if Bird isn't back, I'd still keep it as it is and accept we have those weaknesses in his play in this position.

Be harsh on Ward but I’d be tempted to play Washington and Collins through the middle with NML on the right and CBT on the left. Two genuine threats out wide with two hard working forwards who can occasionally score. Collins has the engine to drop into midfield as an extra body if needed. 

4 hours ago, sage said:

I'm referring to his career as a whole.

He is a player, who at best, if you tailor your system to suit him, he will score 20 goals at championship level.

Is that good for the team though?

It was in Chris Martin's day!

34 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I don’t know is the honest answer. I would just rather have him on the wing, that’s all 🤷🏽‍♂️

Just now, HorsforthRam said:

I don’t know is the honest answer. I would just rather have him on the wing, that’s all 🤷🏽‍♂️

We all would, including Warne I'd imagine. Warne is using him there as a physical presence with pace that can worry opposition. He's making use of the players he has available in the best we he sees fit. I think it works better away from home than at home, as I agree about him lacking the nuance to play in that position well. Away from home, he can use the space and his pace. Things could change when Bird returns, or he ends up with multiple match fit strikers.

15 minutes ago, ap04 said:

We were poor against all 3 rivals at home (4 if you include Stevenage).

It’s unreal how dismissive you are of the club and team you claim to support.

Current top 6 are Portsmouth, Bolton, Barnsley, Peterborough, Lincoln and us. 

Against Portsmouth this season we drew home (1-1) and away (2-2).

Against Bolton we lost away (2-1) and won at home (1-0).

Against Barnsley we won at home (3-0) and lost away (2-1)

Against Peterborough we won away (2-4) and lost at home (2-3)

Against Lincoln we won at home (3-1) and drew away (0-0)

As you mentioned Stevenage I’ll include them and Oxford too as they were in and around the play off positions most of the season;

Against Stevenage we lost away (3-1) and won at home (1-0)

Against Oxford we lost at home (1-2) and won away (2-3)

To me my original point stands that this season we’ve done better against the teams around us than we did last season, I can’t be bothered looking for the stats but if I remember correctly one of the big criticisms last year from certain quarters was that we didn’t compete well enough with the teams around us. This year I think we have, the results back that up, the fact we are second in the table with 4 games to go backs that up, the fact we’re one of the best scoring teams in the league and the best defences backs that up….. so I’ll carry on being a happy and optimistic little ram while you…. Do whatever it is you do 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As you mentioned Stevenage I’ll include them and Oxford too as they were in and around the play off positions most of the season;

To me my original point stands that this season we’ve done better against the teams around us than we did last season, I can’t be bothered looking for the stats but if I remember correctly one of the big criticisms last year from certain quarters was that we didn’t compete well enough with the teams around us. This year I think we have, the results back that up, the fact we are second in the table with 4 games to go backs that up, the fact we’re one of the best scoring teams in the league and the best defences backs that up….. so I’ll carry on being a happy and optimistic little ram while you…. Do whatever it is you do 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I hadn't realised that we had beat every team in the top 8, bar Portsmouth (and we didn't lose to them). In a play-off format, the only team we lose to is Stevenage (albeit a couple of extra times). Not bad going, really.

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The Offside - it certainly looks like it.

KamaraOffside.thumb.png.5278ce1f0d4fa61ceba8fda7cf5def87.png

The handball - he even moved his arm to control it.

Handball.thumb.png.3b582e76a61824e85bf4b0db9f22e508.png

From that angle if anything he looks onside via Nelson's left shoulder. Certainly nothing obvious and therefore I have no issue with no flag. 

Deffo handball though. He used his arm to control it and stop it going out of play.

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don't think at any stage they have claimed to support Derby? I've always assumed it's just someone from another club enjoying a bit of wummery.

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Its very simple .... football matches are scored by goals.   This post coming after your Bolton posts shows your real motivation.  You could surely have gone to the trouble of including some dodgy stats in your response. You are getting lazy.

It's puzzled me that he's stopped quoting xG stats to support his argument, but then a quick look shows why he's had to resort to making shyte up. Not worthy of a draw he says...

Hmmm. 

image.thumb.png.b3c38a83985fbf3eb09e4ff8b1b56be7.png

20 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But, you're using that outdated metric of goals scored against goals conceded, also using the other outdated metric of results.

When will you catch up with the real world? 🤔😁

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I’d play NML and CBT on the wings and Ward behind the striker. Showed he can finish and he can drift left or right to put in good deliveries still. 

Think we’re losing too much from NML with him not having the space that being outside brings. 

I don't mind the offside one so much, it's marginal to the point that VAR would have taken about 3 working days to make a decision.

The handball one is a little more egregious to me, wrong side of the pitch for the lino, but the ref has a decent view of it:

Screenshot2024-04-03at13_44_35.png.50cb346760cbd2f3f296adbf6f60322b.png

Maybe he's a little too far (plus weather) to see for sure if it's t-shirt line or not...