Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s unreal how dismissive you are of the club and team you claim to support.

I am not dismissive of the club, I am dismissive of misguided opinions.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Do whatever it is you do 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

22-23 chances vs 3 best rivals
Ipswich h 4-4
Ipswich a 0-4.5
Weds h 1.5-1
Weds a (4-6) red-adjusted 5.5-4.5
Posh h (6.5-3.5) red-adjusted 5.5-4.5
Posh a 4-5.5

23-24 chances vs 3 best rivals
Portsmouth h 4.5-6.5
Portsmouth a 2.5-5
Posh h 4-8
Posh a 5.5-7
Bolton h 3-4.5
Bolton a (2.5-6) red-adjusted 4-4.5

22-23 total: 20.5 for 24 against (with Ipswich much tougher but Weds away dead rubber)
23-24 total: 23.5 for 35.5 against

1 hour ago, PuP said:

OK, please forgive my ignorance as I thought handball outside the area was a red card. In any case it would have been harsh and I think the ref was right in allowing for the conditions rather than see it as a deliberate act.

I think it’s only a red card if the player (including the keeper outside of the penalty area) deliberately handles the ball and it prevents an obvious goal scoring opportunity. I guess on this occasion it wasn’t deemed an obvious goal scoring opportunity. I don’t really think Wildsmith can really blame the conditions and I think he was lucky not to get a yellow card.

1 hour ago, PuP said:

OK, please forgive my ignorance as I thought handball outside the area was a red card. In any case it would have been harsh and I think the ref was right in allowing for the conditions rather than see it as a deliberate act.

As far as I know a goalkeeper handling the ball outside the penalty area is  absolutely no different to any other outfield player handling outside the area.Its just handball! I don't think there's specific rules for goalkeepers.

4 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Ipswich h 4-4
Ipswich a 0-4.5
Weds h 1.5-1
Posh a 4-5.5

Portsmouth h 4.5-6.5
Portsmouth a 2.5-5
Posh h 4-8
Posh a 5.5-7
Bolton h 3-4.5

22-23 total: 20.5 for 24 against (with Ipswich much tougher but Weds away dead rubber)

IMG_0718.jpeg

4 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Ipswich h 4-4
Ipswich a 0-4.5
Weds h 1.5-1
Posh a 4-5.5

Portsmouth h 4.5-6.5
Portsmouth a 2.5-5
Posh h 4-8
Posh a 5.5-7
Bolton h 3-4.5

I’m not a statistician, I’ve no interest in whatever any of that means. Although it looks to be something to do with the chances we created against the top sides last season, so if anything your collection of numbers is backing up my “misguided opinion” that THIS season, as in the 2023/24 League One season, we have had more success (you know….actual results in football matches) against the other “top” sides in this league.

Derby County, the club I support, are second in the league in the current season. With a very realistic chance of sustaining that league position and winning automatic promotion to the championship 2 years after the club almost went bust. If you’d rather pour over random statistics to belittle that at every opportunity then that’s your choice but I’ll be quite content with the results we’ve achieved thus far and the ride towards possible promotion….cause for me that’s what football is about. 

1 hour ago, PuP said:

Cheers. I'm sure all Derby fans winced when it happened, because we've seen Wildsmith get sent off in a key promotion battle at Bolton this season for merely chesting the ball outside his area!

Despite the various claims over offsides, hand-balls etc, I think the officials did a decent job on a difficult night and the result was a fair one.

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

A great example of the flaws of xG when used in isolation. It gives 0.15 or less for 3 of the goals (which should always measure 1),

This seems completely wrong to me. Either you measure quality of chances (which is what xG does) or you look at how many goals the teams have actually scored. But if in the xG calculation you give 1.0 for a goal scored, then you’re mixing the two up 

By the way I was interested to hear you say that Pompey’s missed chance (the ‘open goal’) was assessed at 0.1 on xG.  It seems very low at first blush, but combine height of ball, speed it came in, bodies in the box not to mention the winds and I suspect it’s closer to the truth than the 0.9 implied by the moronic Sky commentator 

15 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Ipswich h 4-4
Ipswich a 0-4.5
Weds h 1.5-1
Posh a 4-5.5

Portsmouth h 4.5-6.5
Portsmouth a 2.5-5
Posh h 4-8
Posh a 5.5-7
Bolton h 3-4.5

What 'O' Levels are you taking?

Just landed back in Leeds thoughts - overall, really pleased with that point & an enjoyable away day even if it absolutely hammered it down throughout. Obviously would've liked us to have held onto the lead but that was a big dog contest in front of one of the most vociferous home crowds in the country in atrocious conditions. It was vital we didn't get beat - mission accomplished & our destiny is in our own hands which with only 4 games to go, is a fantastic place to be.

Was impressed with how we handled the conditions & after a ropey first 10 mins, we definitely adapted better than Pompey - shifting the ball with purpose & seemed to relish the physical nature of the contest. It felt like a breakthrough game for Blackett-Taylor - he was electric at times & Pompey struggled to keep him under control. Obviously his run led to the first goal but he made a couple of breaks second half which nearly yielded a breakthrough, one of which needed excellent speed & control to retrieve an overhit ball from Wilson(?). Liked him rousing the away fans too & he deservedly got a rapturous ovation as he walked past the away end after being subbed. Same could said of Joe Ward too, another lad with serious potential & last night he stepped up with one great finish & one great hit that got the luck it deserved. The conditions screamed out for potshots at goal & Ward was intelligent & gifted enough to capitalise.

If I'm being ultra-critical, I thought Collins was on the field maybe 10 mins longer than he should've been - the lad had run himself into the ground but overall a pleasing pragmatic performance by management & team. Also bit confused by criticism of Mendez-Laing - he's coming off a recent injury, has had a long season & was always going to find it difficult on a pitch like that. I really like him & CBT as twin options - Pompey struggled with our counter attacking threat & I'm confident our remaining 4 opponents will do too.

Thought our away support was excellent - certainly made plenty of racket throughout & traded well with an excellent home support. Am pleased for Pompey finally going up after so many years in the bottom 2 divisions & whilst Fratton Park has its limitations, its a true football theatre with all the magic of a big game under the lights that you'd want.

A much needed 8 day break before we face the Waitrose parasites. Come on Derby 💪🐏

Edited by LeedsCityRam

33 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing- but in what sense is it a ‘side effect’ ? Genuine question 👍

Moving position to fit cbt on the wing,making Nat less of a threat

I enjoyed the game.

Perfect footballing weather, two good teams giving their all with a short Leicester cameo (even though ill-timed ). Such goals and (mostly their) misses that both sets of fans can speculate about the result. 

I loved the tactical nuances, especially the second half which some didn't enjoy. Wonderstrike ruined an otherwise awesome show of how to control the game without a ball. 

I raise my hat to two things especially: 
Firstly Pompey, they are worthy champions and they played like one. See you next season!

Secondly, Collins. The footballing world is full of neymars, yet it desperately needs more collos. After such an injury to be able to play already is incredible, but to play a dropping nine with such a work rate... Incredible times 10. 

36 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

As far as I know a goalkeeper handling the ball outside the penalty area is  absolutely no different to any other outfield player handling outside the area.Its just handball! I don't think there's specific rules for goalkeepers.

No there isn’t 

3 hours ago, PuP said:

...Handling the ball by the keeper is a sending off offence normally...

Are you sure about that?

That's the only part of your post I'm tempted to disagree with, the rest being most fair and agreeable.

Having said that... I did immediately expect a straight red, but more from the lousy reffing we've witnessed all season, as opposed to the actual rules and laws of the game.

🍻

EDIT:
Apologies.  I questioned that before continuing to read subsequent posts.  Appreciate you've already responded to similar comments.  👍

Edited by Mucker1884

Does anyone else think League One is weaker this season than lastseason? Do you think the top three this season would have been successful last season? My view is that without Ipswich the league is a bit weaker. I think Ipswich obviously spent money the rest of the league didn't have or were not prepared to match. They bought players with the Championship in mind which made them the class act at this level. I believe if Pompey had this squad last season we would have featured at the top, especially the players that have been unavailable to us this season because of injury. Obviously I can't comment on Derby but from what I have seen they look every bit a decent team. I don't think last night was a good comparison as the conditions meant that both teams had to adapt from their normal game. On a decent pitch without the weather Pompey may have beaten Derby playing their normal game and, conversely, Derby may have wiped the floor with Pompey. 

I consider Pompey to be a big club, especially at this level and Derby are doubtlessly the biggest club in this league. Do you think that teams play the name of your club, with its history, as well as your current team? Put another way do you think the bigger clubs at this level get special treatment and opponents raise their game?

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

I enjoyed the game.

Perfect footballing weather, two good teams giving their all with a short Leicester cameo (even though ill-timed ). Such goals and (mostly their) misses that both sets of fans can speculate about the result. 

I loved the tactical nuances, especially the second half which some didn't enjoy. Wonderstrike ruined an otherwise awesome show of how to control the game without a ball. 

I raise my hat to two things especially: 
Firstly Pompey, they are worthy champions and they played like one. See you next season!

Secondly, Collins. The footballing world is full of neymars, yet it desperately needs more collos. After such an injury to be able to play already is incredible, but to play a dropping nine with such a work rate... Incredible times 10. 

After such an injury?   I mean I'm glad he's back but it's just a routine return from injury isnt it.   He works hard and has a decent engine so I'd have expected him to give a good shift for 70 minutes.

20 minutes ago, PuP said:

Does anyone else think League One is weaker this season than lastseason? Do you think the top three this season would have been successful last season? My view is that without Ipswich the league is a bit weaker. I think Ipswich obviously spent money the rest of the league didn't have or were not prepared to match. They bought players with the Championship in mind which made them the class act at this level. I believe if Pompey had this squad last season we would have featured at the top, especially the players that have been unavailable to us this season because of injury. Obviously I can't comment on Derby but from what I have seen they look every bit a decent team. I don't think last night was a good comparison as the conditions meant that both teams had to adapt from their normal game. On a decent pitch without the weather Pompey may have beaten Derby playing their normal game and, conversely, Derby may have wiped the floor with Pompey. 

I consider Pompey to be a big club, especially at this level and Derby are doubtlessly the biggest club in this league. Do you think that teams play the name of your club, with its history, as well as your current team? Put another way do you think the bigger clubs at this level get special treatment and opponents raise their game?

Lots of questions there! 

Yes, a bit weaker, as you say, it's about the amount of money available.  Despite some opposition fans' views, we have spent virtually no money on our team, instead picking up players with something to prove, often following injury. This has worked better for some than others, and is partly the reason for our lengthy injury list again now.

We've bought a mix of players to get us out of League One, and a few with potential to deliver in the Championship - Ward, Wilson, Blackett Taylor, Adams (if we can persuade him to stay as only on loan). 

I think our current squad would have been top six last year but possibly not top two. We've definitely strengthened in some key areas for the type of football Warne wants us to play.

Like you, though, we would have to strengthen big time if we went up - and let some of our older players go. Luckily, most are out of contract anyway.

I always felt we would play football against you, regardless of conditions,  because you do too. It's the teams who set up to spoil the game we struggle against at times.

So, to answer your final question, I do think teams are playing up against us, home and away. We are a big club with a proud history like yourselves and for some teams they could only have dreamed of playing us even a few seasons ago. We also have a stadium those fans love to come to, but we have seen some awful gamesmanship by some teams against us, that completely spoils the match as a spectacle. Give me a good, honest, end to end competition against you or Blackpool anyday, even with the threat of us losing, than watch the Shrewsburys, Wycombes, of this league.