Hourihane

BatRam

This season we've seen more contributions from the whole squad rather than a reliance on one or two. Lots of us said that would need to be the case after losing Didzy and Hourihane had absolutely played his part. He also clearly fits the profile of a Warne player - determined, cares, supports his team mates and shows up when the chips are down.

I'd be inclined to think carefully about which games he starts, so that we can make the best use of what he's got left in the tank and throw him on to get the winner if we need to.

He will contribute to the points total at some point over the next 7 games. He could end up being the difference.

Hourihane is still a good player and has scored some vital goals for us.......In a two man midfield with  Bird  it doesn't work as both are slow tempo players , we haven't missed Bird as much as some would like to believe , we also didn't sign Hourihane for his mobility and has never really been that mobile anyway, but he's still an important part of the squad ...for sure 

also think he gets an unnecessary amount of criticism as does Korey Smith , both will be vital in the run in as will Ebooooou who is immense and best signing of the season for me 

We need to win  physical battles over the last few games. Connor is a good footballer and has done enough this season to be thanked for his contribution but i feel we need to fight like feck every minute of every game to get over the line and we probably need younger lads to do it.

Liam Thompson i feel will be more important than Connor. Not because he's a better player but he will close players down and retain possession in their half. 

If we have no striker and no midfielder who can score a goal, we're needing to find a player who can score a goal or it's a long afternoon humping a ball at their defence who stand in a block and kick it back as much as possible..  Hourihane hasn't been great the last 3 games but I'd be tempted to have him playing 20 yards from their goal as much as possible and let him not worry about the tracking back bit.  I'd also be pushing Sibley further up.  We need a couple of goals and if Mendez Laing is up top he'll need support. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If we have no striker and no midfielder who can score a goal, we're needing to find a player who can score a goal or it's a long afternoon humping a ball at their defence who stand in a block and kick it back as much as possible..  Hourihane hasn't been great the last 3 games but I'd be tempted to have him playing 20 yards from their goal as much as possible and let him not worry about the tracking back bit.  I'd also be pushing Sibley further up.  We need a couple of goals and if Mendez Laing is up top he'll need support. 

This is where I envisioned him playing and where I think he can use the best elements of his play. Not having him sitting in front of the back 3/4 and having him run half the length of the pitch to produce, then watch him struggle to recover.

On 21/03/2024 at 00:59, Bris Vegas said:

He looks put of place in Warneball. And at this stage, you’d rather pick lesser players suited to Warneball than have a better player out of place looking like a luxury.

Hourihane would have shone under Rosenior.

'Warneball'.

Haven't you moved past that pathetic jibe yet?

To me we don’t play to his strengths. He’s at the wrong end of the pitch. He has a sweet left foot and is a good scoring option but for some reason finds himself in defence.

I know he can’t run but the little energy he has should be focused on offence not defence. Let Ebou, Thompson, Smith etc do the grunt work. They aren’t goal scorers.

Let’s make the most of Conor’s time here and have him lurking around the edge of the box waiting to rifle in a goal.

If we get anymore injuries to strikers could we not try him as a false 9?

He has some of the key attributes: footballing intelligence; passing ability; first touch; shooting from range.

This would give more space for the likes of NML, CBT, Barkhuizen and Wilson. It also allows Hourihane to pick them out with through balls, with them already running at goal. 

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

'Warneball'.

Haven't you moved past that pathetic jibe yet?

Is 'Warneball' genuinely considered to be a jibe at this point?

I just thought it was the colloquial way to describe Warne's style of play. I've certainly used in in shorthand that way.

Hourihane has made a career out of scoring important goals out of nothing, or at least providing assists. We are at a time of the season we need someone who can score important goals out of nothing and we are a side with depleted attacking options.

Warne has managed Hourihane well this season and there’s enough time for him to provide more than he already has.

4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Warne has managed Hourihane well this season and there’s enough time for him to provide more than he already has.

The bird hourihane combo was not a success but we persevered with it. For me, that was disappointing. I think our set up and starting Xl is now strong but I agree with those who say it’s one we’ve adopted because injuries have taken other options off the table. 

4 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

He has some of the key attributes: footballing intelligence; passing ability; first touch; shooting from range.

This would give more space for the likes of NML, CBT, Barkhuizen and Wilson. It also allows Hourihane to pick them out with through balls, with them already running at goal. 

Do you mean Conor "Chris Martin" Hourihane?

5 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Was waiting for the punchline. But you’re actually serious aren’t you?!

Complete passenger some games, how he stayed on the pitch today baffled me.

No doubting he’s had a good career and he should be better in this team, but take away he can tuck the odd goal away around the box, his final ball can be quite poor. I’m sorry to say but far too wasteful for the calibre of player he’s supposed to be at league 1 level.

7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Complete passenger some games, how he stayed on the pitch today baffled me.

No doubting he’s had a good career and he should be better in this team, but take away he can tuck the odd goal away around the box, his final ball can be quite poor. I’m sorry to say but far too wasteful for the calibre of player he’s supposed to be at league 1 level.

I said this ages ago and got slated. I just don't see the quality given his pedigree. Don't care what the system is, he's experienced enough where regardless of his role, he should have more impact.