Hourihane

BatRam

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I think the very fact that the players chose him as captain has been a profor Warne. Drop him and what message does that give to the team who chose him as their leader. However,  at the latter part of the season and with so much at stake, I think Warne can now get away with not playing him from the start. Again However,  give him his due, he played the captain by going around each player at half time against Portsmouth.  He still has a role to play.

It sends the message that you're in charge and players get picked on form not reputation.

I seem to recall him smashing in two beauties against these lot last season. 

I don't really understand why he get's slated playing as a tracking and holding midfielder which has never been his game whilst Bird had a shocking season till he got his move had 3 good games then reverted to type.  At least Hourihane has another 350 games in his legs.  He's basically suffering from a very good reputation as a top end championship/ competent premier league player.  He was never signing for a recently bankrupt team in League 1 if he was still that good and I don't believe he was ever or would ever sign for a manager who expected him to gas out for an hour then be replaced.  He was never that player,even 10 years ago.  We don't use him in the right way which is making sure he's occupying defenders 20 yards from goal and pulling them out to make space.  That's not his fault. 

15 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

think the very fact that the players chose him as captain has been a profor Warne. 

I assume you mean ‘problem for Warne’? The idea the dressing room votes for captain is comical. The manager should be in charge. It’s been a costly cop out and hopefully it does not cost us promotion. 

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I assume you mean ‘problem for Warne’? The idea the dressing room votes for captain is comical. The manager should be in charge. It’s been a costly cop out and hopefully it does not cost us promotion. 

No doubt if we do get promotion you'll be saying it's despite Warne rather than because of. 

Just can't help yourself- pathetic!

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I seem to recall him smashing in two beauties against these lot last season. 

I don't really understand why he get's slated playing as a tracking and holding midfielder which has never been his game whilst Bird had a shocking season till he got his move had 3 good games then reverted to type.  At least Hourihane has another 350 games in his legs.  He's basically suffering from a very good reputation as a top end championship/ competent premier league player.  He was never signing for a recently bankrupt team in League 1 if he was still that good and I don't believe he was ever or would ever sign for a manager who expected him to gas out for an hour then be replaced.  He was never that player,even 10 years ago.  We don't use him in the right way which is making sure he's occupying defenders 20 yards from goal and pulling them out to make space.  That's not his fault. 

Bird certainly hasn't had a shocking season in my book, but he plays better when Hourihane isn't getting in his way. I agree that Hourihane shouldn't be playing where he mostly has been though. If he has to play, he should be 10-20 yards behind the Striker, not 10 yards behind the CBs where he usually is, and he should share out the dead-ball kicks because 90% of his are poor. His goal and assist record is good, but that doesn't make up for the huge hole he causes in our midfield by his lack of presence. He's the only player who regularly disappoints me.

10 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

It sends the message that you're in charge and players get picked on form not reputation.

I totally understand that. I am just playing devil's advocate as to why Warne plays him. However as I said, Warne and Derby are at the pressure end of season and whilst Hourihane might have the knowledge and calmness,  the boss is all about delivering results and he knows the best midfield partnership to hopefully get us over the line.

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes. A typo on my behalf.  I do agree it was a mistake to allow the team to pick the captain from a management point of view.  However,  I also see the possible benefits of a leader who most want. Pros and cons.

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree it was a bad idea but let's not forget the likely alternative was Sonny Bradley.