Hourihane

BatRam

5 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

I said this ages ago and got slated. I just don't see the quality given his pedigree. Don't care what the system is, he's experienced enough where regardless of his role, he should have more impact. 

Why does Warne keep picking him then? 

He’s dropped off massively since the start of the season, think he’s come to terms with retirement at the end of the season but also lost his hunger for the game. He’s going through the motions. I can’t blame him, honestly I’d imagine 95% of players in the same boat would do the same, but Warne needs to leave him out for the good of the team. 

Think his head is at aston villa on his coaching job. awful again at the weekend. i think the only thing keeping him in the side at the minute is because hes set piece taker. with ward in and out the squad theres no one else.

For balance, the only good spell we had in the game was the 15 minutes right up until their goal when we could’ve scored 3, that was the only time we were moving the ball quickly and we looked a threat, Hourihane was the stand out player in this period of the game orchestrating it. He was poor second half but there were also players just as bad.

4 minutes ago, BatRam said:

Think his head is at aston villa on his coaching job. awful again at the weekend. i think the only thing keeping him in the side at the minute is because hes set piece taker. with ward in and out the squad theres no one else.

I doubt if it's that alone. Sibley and Waghorn can both take set-piece kicks. Elder took a key corner v Bolton. My guess is that, with mounting injuries, he's reluctant to sideline an experienced player and the team captain - but he needs to push Hourihane to play where he can be more effective, and that isn't picking the ball up as deep as he often plays.

• 2 weeks later...

Has warne decided that he prefers Smith/adams in midfield now? or has hourihane got a niggle. Smith has been brilliant in my opinion and the midfield has looked so much more mobile. Ward has taken over on set pieces and every single one has been class. Thompson has been brill when he comes on aswell. 

7 minutes ago, BatRam said:

Has warne decided that he prefers Smith/adams in midfield now? or has hourihane got a niggle. Smith has been brilliant in my opinion and the midfield has looked so much more mobile. Ward has taken over on set pieces and every single one has been class. Thompson has been brill when he comes on aswell. 

I think we had  the last start for hourihane I think unless we see injuries he will only come on now 

27 minutes ago, BatRam said:

I think he plays Smith and Adams if he anticipates a battle - both are very good at breaking up play and getting back quickly to shield the defence.

However, if you look at Who Scored stats, neither of them have anywhere near the number of touches that Hourihane has in a game. Hourihane is capable of dictating play if - and only if - we decide to play through midfield.......and he's better in a 3.

Personally, I'd play all three of them if we intend to try and control a game - with NML, CBT and Collins ahead.

If we intend to sit back and play on the break, or have a 90 min scrap then Smith and Adams are currently the best bet imo.

29 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

I think we had  the last start for hourihane I think unless we see injuries he will only come on now 

Only like 6 months too late, but guess we'll take it.

Just now, Srg said:

Only like 6 months too late, but guess we'll take it.

Bit harsh for someone with 6 goals and 7 assists.

At his age and fitness level he’s an impact sub now.

Definitely struggled in a two man midfield. Arguably better on the left side of a four.

Not part of our future so best left as a bit part player.

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Bit harsh for someone with 6 goals and 7 assists.

At his age and fitness level he’s an impact sub now.

Definitely struggled in a two man midfield. Arguably better on the left side of a four.

Not part of our future so best left as a bit part player.

He takes every set piece, skews things a lot when it comes to stats.

He's just not as good as any other option and his set pieces aren't that far clear of any other option to make his inclusion worth it - especially if Ward is playing.

I think Bird will replace Smith in this current midfield next to Adams if he regains fitness.

I'd look at brannigan (oxford), Burrows (Peterborough), Mason-Clark (Peterborough), Dembélé (Blackpool), Jodi Jones (Notts County) as potential replacements for Hourihane in the summer.

1 minute ago, Oldben said:

I'd look at brannigan (oxford), Burrows (Peterborough), Mason-Clark (Peterborough), Dembélé (Blackpool), Jodi Jones (Notts County) as potential replacements for Hourihane in the summer.

I know you're an AI, but Burrows isn't a midfielder, Mason-Clark has already signed for Coventry, Dembele is a winger and Jones is a lower league winger at best.

The only suggestion there is Brannagan, who I don't think will be worth the price they'll want.

Hourihane started the season well, but had a dramatic drop-off - probably inline with when he decided this was going to be his last season. He's still an influential, well-liked figure and he's been a good player for us but perhaps not the dynamic, all-action midfielder that we anticipated when he signed. 

The best replacement for him is the guy who just picked out our top corner from 30 yards on Tuesday night and someone who I really wanted us to go for in the summer and then again in January. 

We will need a complete revamp of our central midfield options ahead of next season anyway. It's been our biggest disappointment this season, apart from Ebou Adams, who will be back to Cardiff. Bird has been ok, had a purple patch around Jan/Feb, but the whole lot need improving upon. 

6 hours ago, Srg said:

He takes every set piece, skews things a lot when it comes to stats.

He's just not as good as any other option and his set pieces aren't that far clear of any other option to make his inclusion worth it - especially if Ward is playing.

I think Bird will replace Smith in this current midfield next to Adams if he regains fitness.

I think Bird will come in at AM, with Mendez-Laing moving to RW

I guess the stats don't lie but he has been the single biggest disappointment for me since Warne has been here. I really hoped he would be the steel in our midfield and the creator of much in front of him. I've seen him be neither and while we can't deny he's scored a couple of handy goals besides that I've often gone whole games wondering (genuinely) if he's in the team.

I’d be very shocked if he doesn’t retire as his legs have completely gone this season. Isn’t he a coach at Villa currently? Also was on Sky Sports as a pundit tonight, so he’s clearly looking at what next. 

13 hours ago, BatRam said:

I don’t think Hourihane will start again. I think Warne has finally understood what a drag he is on the team. 

On 23/03/2024 at 18:11, RoyMac5 said:

Why does Warne keep picking him then? 

I think the very fact that the players chose him as captain has been a profor Warne. Drop him and what message does that give to the team who chose him as their leader. However,  at the latter part of the season and with so much at stake, I think Warne can now get away with not playing him from the start. Again However,  give him his due, he played the captain by going around each player at half time against Portsmouth.  He still has a role to play.