Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

12 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I've watched the RamsTV highlights, There's a slight coming together as the ball is cleared...but nowt to see here, Ref pointing for a foul then just a melee of players, With the victim on the ground with both hands on his face, Job done and sent off as the victim takes a good look to see if his 1st stage performance went well 🙄

So was there contact 🤷‍♂️ did the victim play the victim 👍 I'm getting very cynical as the years roll by, It's a win at all cost on the field of play now which sends me further away from the professional game. 

It's possible that the lino had a word over the comms. Whatever, it doesn't absolve Bradley from the daftness of getting involved unless there was no contact and the oppo player simply took a dive. Without video evidence, only the two players can be sure.

22 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

So am over yesterday's travesty. We've had major injury issues and things just didn't go for us. Four wins out of five is OK. Next game is massive though, and we need a win to go into the Portsmouth game. 

Once again, travesty is probably the wrong word. It implies we were hard done by which we weren't.

36 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's possible that the lino had a word over the comms. Whatever, it doesn't absolve Bradley from the daftness of getting involved unless there was no contact and the oppo player simply took a dive. Without video evidence, only the two players can be sure.

I had a good view from the stand and Bradley brought his towards the guy which is a licence to go down of course. No surprise for me when ref produced red. Provocation no doubt but stupid nonetheless.

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

Warne stumbled across a system due to having Gayle up top and we seemed to have started to play more freely and passed it better and mixed our game up more ..yesterday all I saw from any forwards was looking to run in behind hence encouraging a long ball which invariably found a Northampton shirt a lot of the time 

without Gayle who to me is a class above any strikers we have I fear more of what we saw yesterday 

we are now hoping that Collo will make a difference….i saw yesterday as a massive game for us and reading pre match posts I know a lot of others did too….but when it matters we didn’t turn up and the football ( if you can it that ) was truly horrible …let’s get it right …whether pitch was too narrow too small too bobbly etc etc …Northampton are a poor side …the amount of missed passes and general hoofs out of play from them was of a poor standard …a massive opportunity missed and not for the first time ….this is what makes me fear the play offs ….we have to go up in autos and we now have 6 massive games. 
can we do it? Of course you never know in football but what I do know is…anymore performances like yesterday and I think we can kiss the autos goodbye and then might have to look forward to another season in this s**** division where I think the standard will be better next season …so 6 games !!

let’s hope Warne can look at it like a 6 game season now and get us over the line ….but we shall see….COYR 

Every time we go on a good run is because Warne has stumbled on something, let's just hope he can stumble on something again friday

5 minutes ago, Norwichram2 said:

I had a good view from the stand and Bradley brought his towards the guy which is a licence to go down of course. No surprise for me when ref produced red. Provocation no doubt but stupid nonetheless.

Agreed, I'd just like referees to be as hard on clear play-acting as they are on 'provocation'.

The Northants player beating the ground in 'anguish' from a nothing challenge summed their approach up. I can't recall the last time one of our players so extravagantly over-reacted like that and I'd hate it if it became a regular tactic of ours.

7 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is fine if we’re talking about an inexperienced defender learning a lesson the hard way. We’re talking about an experienced pro who was part of a promotion to the premier league last season. He should be thoroughly embarrassed that he couldn’t control himself and in doing so has left the team with 2 centre backs for the next 3 matches. I’d pay him off at the end of this season and cut our losses - dread to think what championship strikers would do to him. 

This isn’t just about the sending off either. Constantly passing it behind the player he was playing it to. Constant poor touches including needing Wildsmith to rush out and spare his blushes to stop a repeat of match day 1. 

These mistakes shouldn’t be happening from a player at this stage in his career who has dropped down a level. 

He wouldn’t be in my team so I agree with everything you say. I wouldn’t be silly enough to play three CB’s in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Apologies if I've missed this anywhere, but has anyone seen evidence definitively (either directly at the game or from video clips etc) that Bradley actually "headbutted" the Northampton defender? I've replayed the incident several times from the highlights and it's out of shot. I did notice that the "victim" did the classic "rolling on the ground holding his face" to make sure the ref knew what Bradley had done, only then to have a sneaky look to check that the red card had come out and it was safe to get back up, completely unmarked as far as I could see. 

I did though see Cashin being wrestled horizontal by a defender at the same corner, before being flattened by the keeper, so maybe that explains why Bradley got narked and the defender decided to make the most of whatever contact Bradley made with him i.e to deflect from the clear foul on Cashin?

Not clutching at straws here, just want to know if it was a legitimate red card.

I was at the game and clearly saw the headbutt.

Not read through much of this thread, listened to Talksport first half and first 20 mins of second and then went for a walk as it was obviously going to be ‘one of those days’. Seen the highlights and should have been 2 or 3 up by HT but this s**t happens sometimes. 
Irritated and disheartened yes BUT if we had the choice of taking only 3 points from the last two games, which many thought a distinct possibility then we’d have taken them from the Bolton game no problem key now is to beat Blackpool and take something from Pompy both of which is eminently doable COYR.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

I've watched the RamsTV highlights, There's a slight coming together as the ball is cleared...but nowt to see here, Ref pointing for a foul then just a melee of players, With the victim on the ground with both hands on his face, Job done and sent off as the victim takes a good look to see if his 1st stage performance went well 🙄

So was there contact 🤷‍♂️ did the victim play the victim 👍 I'm getting very cynical as the years roll by, It's a win at all cost on the field of play now which sends me further away from the professional game. 

Bradley hasn't shown himself to be the brightest apple in the barrel in the opponents penalty area though has he. All the stupid wrestling he gets involved in. But even so moving your head towards another player is enough to get you sent off nowadays. Edit: just seen rammieib's post - not much point in appealing then!

Edited by RoyMac5

19 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Perhaps that is a touch over-the-top, but it was a clear foul to us, seconds before they scored.

Before they scored there were a few fouls awarded and all of them seemed to go the wrong way. It was complete chance who was going to suffer most from the bad decisions. It was the poor defending that cost us the goal tho,  plus they were fortunate to finish it so well given what a difficult chance it was (and given how good Wildsmith is )

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bradley hasn't shown himself to be the brightest apple in the barrel in the opponents penalty area though has he. All the stupid wrestling he gets involved in. But even so moving your head towards another player is enough to get you sent off nowadays. Edit: just seen rammieib's post - not much point in appealing then!

Both of us were brought up on 60s 70s and 80s football where stuff like this was a non event, Over the last few decades players have become more aware, Sky pundits and the media have singled out this kind of behaviour, Today I'd guess it's drilled into some players to get at certain players, Equally certain players shouldn't fall for it.

I was very pleased when Bradley signed, Then watched our 1st game against Wigan at PP...not impressed with his performance...but it was his 1st game so benefit of the doubt...my view has not changed, To slow, Prone to huge errors which costs and now this.

He'll not get better 😬 

1 hour ago, CapeTownRams said:

Inevitable that Rhodes will score against us I reckon….

Last news was he had knee ligament damage. Doesn't require surgery but likely to miss all but the last 3 games of the season.

We'll see.

52 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Perhaps that is a touch over-the-top, but it was a clear foul to us, seconds before they scored.

It should have been a foul but we still had enough time (and players back) to deal with the situation. Bradley was very soft with his tackle and Cashin was in no man’s land. We can’t blame our defeat solely on a single incident that should have been dealt with. Also we still had well over an hour to make amends. 

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It should have been a foul but we still had enough time (and players back) to deal with the situation. Bradley was very soft with his tackle and Cashin was in no man’s land. We can’t blame our defeat solely on a single incident that should have been dealt with. Also we still had well over an hour to make amends. 

Why not? The manager of most teams we beat do! 😀

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

He walked off without waiting for the red. That makes it fairly obvious.