Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's the position we're now in.  

Yes even more so when you have one hand tied behind your back, so suck it up and get on with it.

To suggest we should be playing players but asking them not to put 100% would be criminal in my opinion and is a sure fire way to get fans on their back.

Hi Rams, I commented on the reverse fixture when you battered us earlier in the season so thought I would do the same just to give some context from the other side.

A very different game to the one at Pride Park earlier in the season. The San Sixfields pitch is much smaller which definitely helps us, particularly against the big boys in the division. We have taken a pasting of pretty much all of the teams at the top of the table away from home this season, whilst at home managed mostly narrow defeats instead.

No doubt that you should have scored at least one of the two chances in the first half, or at the very least worked the keeper, one of them goes in and you dont lose the game without a shadow of a doubt. The game earlier in the season you were picking holes in between our midfield and defense with ease, also NML pace was a constant threat. However in this game were clearly more compact and outside of those opportunities it didn't feel like you created a huge amount of clear cut chances. It was noticeable that you were much more direct this game for whatever reason, which I am far more confident of us deadling with. I know you have a number of bodies out, but we have 10 out (mostly in defence) so the injury list was similar on both sides.

I thought the goal was a really well taken finish, definite foul in the build up but the defending after that would be pretty poor. Your full back (Wilson I think) also definitely handled it in the second half with no one around him. 

I sit in the end where Bradley got his red, he definitely put his head in. Don't get me wrong i dont think Monthe is going to require a trip to the hospital but unfortunately you have to go down to almost bring it to attention. Thought it was poor from a guy who is that experienced and was seemingly always looking for physicality in the game. Yes we tried to slow down the game, no doubt about it. If i was an away fan I would be furious and hope the ref would stop it. But to add some context our season has been petering out to a degree with mid table safety and clearly our manager has given them a rocket pointing out there are still points to play for, there was not a lack of effort on our point despite little to play for seemingly. To be honest we are doing about as well as a club our size could be expected to do, as we were on of the favorites for the drop.

I hope you go up, clearly a huge club that should not be at this level (plus dont want Peterborough to go up). I am guessing there is a big split in the fanbase over the manager, that was evident by the booing of one of the substitutions which you don't expect from a team that are fighting for the title. As a completely neutral observer Warne to me sits in the Gareth Ainsworth esque category of managers. Likeable character and personable, but with limitations at a higher level and in developing a more free flowing style, it dosnt seem like the best fit. Playing Pompey and Peterborough recently (both away so different challenges I guess) but they seemed much more composed in their style of play and just seemed to have more ways to hurt us.

Hopefully your injury woes ease up a little and all the best for the rest of the season.

Edited by LoadofCobblers

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Yes even more so when you have one hand tied behind your back, so suck it up and get on with it.

To suggest we should be playing players but asking them not to put 100% would be criminal in my opinion and is a sure fire way to get fans on their back.

The one hand behind the back .  That's another discussion and one I'm not convinced on .

It's not a matter of not giving 100%.  It's using that player in the most effective way.  Why use your only fit striker to chase a ball down from 30 yards at the goalies feet, especially one who's had little game time.   The person that should have been pressed was their centreback who we were happy to have the ball all game.  An injury easily avoided or at least put off for 2 or 3 very important matches.  

19 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

Hi Rams, I commented on the reverse fixture when you battered us earlier in the season so thought I would do the same just to give some context from the other side.

A very different game to the one at Pride Park earlier in the season. The San Sixfields pitch is much smaller which definitely helps us, particularly against the big boys in the division. We have taken a pasting of pretty much all of the teams at the top of the table away from home this season, whilst at home managed mostly narrow defeats instead.

No doubt that you should have scored at least one of the two chances in the first half, or at the very least worked the keeper, one of them goes in and you dont lose the game without a shadow of a doubt. The game earlier in the season you were picking holes in between our midfield and defense with ease, also NML pace was a constant threat. However in this game were clearly more compact and outside of those opportunities it didn't feel like you created a huge amount of clear cut chances. It was noticeable that you were much more direct this game for whatever reason, which I am far more confident of us deadling with. I know you have a number of bodies out, but we have 10 out (mostly in defence) so the injury list was similar on both sides.

I thought the goal was a really well taken finish, definite foul in the build up but the defending after that would be pretty poor. Your full back (Wilson I think) also definitely handled it in the second half with no one around him. 

I sit in the end where Bradley got his red, he definitely put his head in. Don't get me wrong i dont think Monthe is going to require a trip to the hospital but unfortunately you have to go down to almost bring it to attention. Thought it was poor from a guy who is that experienced and was seemingly always looking for physicality in the game. Yes we tried to slow down the game, no doubt about it. If i was an away fan I would be furious and hope the ref would stop it. But to add some context our season has been petering out to a degree with mid table safety and clearly our manager has given them a rocket pointing out there are still points to play for, there was not a lack of effort on our point despite little to play for seemingly. To be honest we are doing about as well as a club our size could be expected to do, as we were on of the favorites for the drop.

I hope you go up, clearly a huge club that should not be at this level (plus dont want Peterborough to go up). I am guessing there is a big split in the fanbase over the manager, that was evident by the booing of one of the substitutions which you don't expect from a team that are fighting for the title. As a completely neutral observer Warne to me sits in the Gareth Ainsworth esque category of managers. Likeable character and personable, but with limitations at a higher level and in developing a more free flowing style, it dosnt seem like the best fit. Playing Pompey and Peterborough recently (both away so different challenges I guess) but they seemed much more composed in their style of play and just seemed to have more ways to hurt us.

Hopefully your injury woes ease up a little and all the best for the rest of the season.

Great perspective. Thank you.

14 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

Can't disagree with any of that, a pretty fair assessment. 

The only comment I'd make is that yes, Wilson did handball it on one occasion. It wasn't deliberate but his arm was in an unnatural position so it probably should have been given. However, it wasn't a significant incident. As you say, no one was around him and it wasn't in a particularly dangerous part of the pitch. So, it doesn't really cancel out the freekick that should have been given leading up to the goal (I don't know if that's what you're implying given you mention the two incidents in the same paragraph). Having said that, we still had enough to time to deal with your attack that led to the goal so I'm not sure it can be attributed solely to this referee error.

29 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

Hope your dragon gets a visit from St George😉

26 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

Good and fair post, thanks. From what I saw on RamsTV, it seemed that the ball bounced up off the very bobbly surface and hit Wilson's hand when it was pointing down to the floor and he wasn't even looking at it. It looked purely accidental, but I've seen them given.

We've had quite a debate on here about the Bradley sending off, as you can probably tell 😆, and you've confirmed what DCFC posters on here, who were at the game, have said about it, so that's helpful. I'm not sure falling to the floor clutching your face to emphasis contact is officially approved, because if the officials didn't see the contact it's not going to change their decision, but I do understand why players do it even if I don't agree with it. Kane Wilson could have made more of the body-check he got before the goal, but as the referee had a very clear view of it, I doubt it would have made much difference to that decision either - it was just a poor non-decision at a time when we were starting to create more chances and the goal killed our momentum. That's not to say we'd have won the game, because no-one on here thinks we played well, but it was a great finish and gave you something to defend, which you generally did well.

48 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

Excellent post. Thanks for coming on.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The one hand behind the back .  That's another discussion and one I'm not convinced on .

It's not a matter of not giving 100%.  It's using that player in the most effective way.  Why use your only fit striker to chase a ball down from 30 yards at the goalies feet, especially one who's had little game time.   The person that should have been pressed was their centreback who we were happy to have the ball all game.  An injury easily avoided or at least put off for 2 or 3 very important matches.  

We are unable to sign anyone for a transfer fee and, therefore, at a disadvantage to other teams in the division, that's just a fact.

Not being able to pay fees puts you into a different market, with different problems.

Nobody could say how things would have played out had Gayle not got injured early on, its all theoretical.

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We are unable to sign anyone for a transfer fee and, therefore, at a disadvantage to other teams in the division, that's just a fact.

Not being able to pay fees puts you into a different market, with different problems.

Nobody could say how things would have played out had Gayle not got injured early on, its all theoretical.

We've spent 4 fees this season. John Jules loan, Fornah nominal with add on, Washington nominal with add on and 300 k on Blackett Taylor.  We also paid 6 months wages for Embleton and added Gayle and Waghorn to the injured strikers roster.  That's a lot of cash for not much game time .

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We've spent 4 fees this season. John Jules loan, Fornah nominal with add on, Washington nominal with add on and 300 k on Blackett Taylor.  We also paid 6 months wages for Embleton and added Gayle and Waghorn to the injured strikers roster.  That's a lot of cash for not much game time .

Got sources for that? 

Not seen anything about paying for JJ loan, or anything that we paid a fee for Fornah or Washington (just would be something based on promotion, just like Wilson).

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Got sources for that? 

Not seen anything about paying for JJ loan, or anything that we paid a fee for Fornah or Washington (just would be something based on promotion, just like Wilson).

Yes. I won't be saying who though. Two nominal fees for the Fornah and Washington deals with add on, Two other clubs were in for John-Jules so a fee became apparent.  

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes. I won't be saying who though. Two nominal fees for the Fornah and Washington deals with add on, Two other clubs were in for John-Jules so a fee became apparent.  

Fornah, Wilson and Washington were 'undisclosed'. Further details revealed nothing was paid upfront, but fees will be due upon certain clauses (promotion, sell-on, etc...)
John-Jules will have cost a loan fee in the form of a wage contribution. This is the same for all loans, although you typically get charged a lump fee on top at Championship level.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Fornah, Wilson and Washington were 'undisclosed'. Further details revealed nothing was paid upfront, but fees will be due upon certain clauses (promotion, sell-on, etc...)
John-Jules will have cost a loan fee in the form of a wage contribution. This is the same for all loans, although you typically get charged a lump fee on top at Championship level.

Not according to my very close source.  Don't know about Wilson.

My source could not believe we paid Rotherham a fee.

Any information I put on here re ITK is limited but always accurate.  I get to hear all manor of stuff but as soon as you put it on here someone wants to get involved which I can't particularly be arsed with.  Hence I don't bother as a rule.   Take it as you wish.

6 hours ago, LoadofCobblers said:

That’s a great assessment of the game and your lads fully deserved the win.

I’m glad that an outside observer can also see how tactically inept our Coach is, the football on the whole this season has been dreadful and apparently we’re not allowed to criticise him due to our league position.

Good luck for the rest of the season… hopefully we don’t see you next season.

10 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

That’s a great assessment of the game and your lads fully deserved the win.

I’m glad that an outside observer can also see how tactically inept our Coach is, the football on the whole this season has been dreadful and apparently we’re not allowed to criticise him due to our league position.

Good luck for the rest of the season… hopefully we don’t see you next season.

Don't be such a drama queen.