Match Thread: vs Reading (H)

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

His only hope is that the lino will advise the ref he’s got it wrong, so was that who he was shouting at ? But if the lino was the other side of the pitch he wouldn’t be able to see the hand ball 

Yeah maybe, however he made the same hand gesture for VAR that they do in the Premier League.

Just made me laugh, what an idiot! Bet he got some hammer on the team bus on the way home last night 😱😂😂

Quite enjoyed last night. If we got a bit of luck for once then so what? They had one attempt on goal all night and scored from it; their keeper made a couple of good saves, we hit the post and generally looked the better side. A win was thoroughly deserved.  My only negative was making so many changes straight after the goal which killed the momentum and then we did our usual trick of sitting back for the last 10 which bugs me.

In real time (without the benefit of millions of replays from all angles) both the sending off and penalty looked fair enough to me - but obviously I’m going to be viewing each incident from a Derby perspective. I hope the lad’s second booking was for his stupid over the top reaction as much as the foul. He stormed up to the ref behaving like a petulant child; he deserved a yellow for that. Refs should to be giving cards for this. Not sure why some of our fans want to focus on the ‘negative’ of questionable decisions, rather than the positives of playing pretty well for most of the game. Funny lot who want to say “yeah, we won… but…”.  Always looking for the ‘but’. Odd.

Other observations - agree entirely with the comments about players all going for a drink and team talk when a player goes down injured. Refs shouldn’t be allowing that. At least one occasion last night game was delayed unacceptably waiting for all Reading players to get back in position (why - if they aren’t ready to restart, sod them and just get on with it). Also, keeper going down injured conveniently at a point when we were all over them. Kill time, kill momentum. If you need that much attention, get off the pitch and get a sub on. Glad to see a foul throw given for once. Still about 50% of throw ins are foul throws which aren’t picked up, but that was so much of a foul throw it couldn’t be ignored. 

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I understand why you both might think it's hypocritical that a tiny minority our fans should chant that after what we went through but, as the extract from the match preview below taken from one of their fans forums shows, they aren't exactly contrite about how they behaved towards us in those dark days despite the knowledge that their own club was "cheating" every bit as much. 

Screenshot_20240313-082444-01.thumb.jpeg.2200e9074facc57028f0c5391c81bc6d.jpeg

It's really no justification though. Guess all it does it's highlights that all fanbases have their own idiots.

The only people worthy of such vitriol are the people that played a part in or actively tried to destroy our club, namely Mel Morris, Steve Gibson, the ambulance chaser from Wycombe and any employee of the EFL. 

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I understand why you both might think it's hypocritical that a tiny minority our fans should chant that after what we went through but, as the extract from the match preview below taken from one of their fans forums shows, they aren't exactly contrite about how they behaved towards us in those dark days despite the knowledge that their own club was "cheating" every bit as much. 

Screenshot_20240313-082444-01.thumb.jpeg.2200e9074facc57028f0c5391c81bc6d.jpeg

Yeah I get all that, but can't we be a bit better? Maybe I'm being a snowflake!!

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Quite enjoyed last night. If we got a bit of luck for once then so what? They had one attempt on goal all night and scored from it; their keeper made a couple of good saves, we hit the post and generally looked the better side. A win was thoroughly deserved.  My only negative was making so many changes straight after the goal which killed the momentum and then we did our usual trick of sitting back for the last 10 which bugs me.

In real time (without the benefit of millions of replays from all angles) both the sending off and penalty looked fair enough to me - but obviously I’m going to be viewing each incident from a Derby perspective. I hope the lad’s second booking was for his stupid over the top reaction as much as the foul. He stormed up to the ref behaving like a petulant child; he deserved a yellow for that. Refs should to be giving cards for this. Not sure why some of our fans want to focus on the ‘negative’ of questionable decisions, rather than the positives of playing pretty well for most of the game. Funny lot who want to say “yeah, we won… but…”.  Always looking for the ‘but’. Odd.

Other observations - agree entirely with the comments about players all going for a drink and team talk when a player goes down injured. Refs shouldn’t be allowing that. At least one occasion last night game was delayed unacceptably waiting for all Reading players to get back in position (why - if they aren’t ready to restart, sod them and just get on with it). Also, keeper going down injured conveniently at a point when we were all over them. Kill time, kill momentum. If you need that much attention, get off the pitch and get a sub on. Glad to see a foul throw given for once. Still about 50% of throw ins are foul throws which aren’t picked up, but that was so much of a foul throw it couldn’t be ignored. 

Don't think we really sat back in the last 10, best game management we've seen all season I'd say.

So, I was at the game and have now watched the highlights.

A thoroughly entertaining game that I struggle to see how any Rams fans can’t have enjoyed. I’m not suggesting it’s a new dawn but I do wonder where some of the PW critics are this morning.

We got lucky but, based on every measure (quality of football, chances created, shots, shots on target, possession, saves the respective goalkeepers had to make etc.) it’s difficult to understand how anyone could argue it wasn’t a fair result.

Regarding the sending off, the first yellow seemed very harsh (I don’t think it was deliberate and there wasn’t much he could about it) and the second was absolutely a dive by Hourihane. Having said that, it’s debatable as to whether they should have had a player sent off for bringing down Gayle when he was through on goal. Perhaps it was only a yellow because Gayle still had a lot to do and there was another defender not too far away (but not between Gayle and the goal). 

Our first goal might have been ruled out if we had VAR and so may the penalty. Gayle definitely hand balled it. You could argue that the contact from the keeper came first (and may have caused the hand ball) but I’m not convinced. Having said all of that, there is no need to feel too sheepish (no pun intended) as I’m sure all of the other contenders have had their fair share of lucky breaks throughout the season.

I don’t think NML had his best game, Adams was immense (yet again) and Barks had IMO one of his best games even though he didn’t score or provide an assist. Overall a good performance by everyone. Bradly could have prevented their goal but, that apart, he had another good game.

Onto Saturday. It’s not quite a season defining game (and therefore not quite a must win game) but defeat would be quite damaging. COYR.

9 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

England played Poland off the park (not just at times) in that fateful week in 1973. (Ask your Dad).

You don’t always get what you deserve - maybe we have that in common.

And he was in goal...remember 😉 image.png.5c35426bc90d7699e3ba2a73118b993f.png

46 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Yeah I get all that, but can't we be a bit better? Maybe I'm being a snowflake!!

I think it's fine for an individual to choose not to chant that (I wouldn't bother myself unless it was a club who's fans had been particularly bad in that respect during our troubles) but I don't think it's worth moralising over when it's a minority of fans against a club who's fans were by their own admission "less than sympathetic" towards at that time.

59 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Yeah maybe, however he made the same hand gesture for VAR that they do in the Premier League.

Just made me laugh, what an idiot! Bet he got some hammer on the team bus on the way home last night 😱😂😂

FWIW I think he was signalling to his bench to have a look on their monitors, His antics did make me smile tho ☺️

And for those who didn't like the "we're having a party" cheer up what goes around comes around, I'm already getting party tickets printed for Birmingham City 😁

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Totally agree. Embarrassing and unnecessary. Makes us every bit as classless and stupid as Birmingham, which I hoped I'd never have to say. Thankfully not many joined in, it was just the usual meatheads who can't wait to have a go at our own fans if the atmosphere dips.

Most of us in the South stand chose - not to join in .We know how they felt , with all the big decisions going against them as well .Our support was good in the 2 nd half - much better without the drum telling us when and what to sing .

If I had a pound for every time a poster had complained about our players being "too soft" or "naive" or where a poster has complained that we aren't canny enough to employ the "dark arts" I'd have enough money to adequately compensate those posters who are offended when we do beat an opponent at their own game for once, and still have enough left to buy a decent centre forward 😉

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If I had a pound for every time a poster had complained about our players being "too soft" or "naive" or where a poster has complained that we aren't canny enough to employ the "dark arts" I'd have enough money to adequately compensate those posters who are offended when we do beat an opponent at their own game for once, and still have enough left to buy a decent centre forward 😉

Does kinda feel weird that we've done a Bamford to win a game. We are never that team... and yet we still never prosper. Makes a change. I think I'd feel dirtier about it if it was an unjust win, but whichever way you slice it, we were the better team and deserved to win.

Must admit that I didn’t hear any ‘party’ chants from my spot in the East Stand (quite close to the away fans).  I did hear one telling them to “pay their effing bills” which made me laugh (I’m not going to get upset about any hypocrisy in that chant, it was funny!). 

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Does kinda feel weird that we've done a Bamford to win a game. We are never that team... and yet we still never prosper. Makes a change. I think I'd feel dirtier about it if it was an unjust win, but whichever way you slice it, we were the better team and deserved to win.

Our first goal looked offside and the penalty dubious….maybe the EFL directive to refs re the Rams has softened a bit….what do you reckon Dave 😉

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

Give this Reading fan a chocolate biscuit - he gets it :

Screenshot_20240313-100156-01.thumb.jpeg.0bb822002b9a2e461531f70e5f36e041.jpeg

Cheating is cheating, but I do sympathise with not being able to spot this one (I had no clue either watching live), and the offside is up to his linesman. The sending off however... 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

So, I was at the game and have now watched the highlights.

A thoroughly entertaining game that I struggle to see how any Rams fans can’t have enjoyed. I’m not suggesting it’s a new dawn but I do wonder where some of the PW critics are this morning.

We got lucky but, based on every measure (quality of football, chances created, shots, shots on target, possession, saves the respective goalkeepers had to make etc.) it’s difficult to understand how anyone could argue it wasn’t a fair result.

Regarding the sending off, the first yellow seemed very harsh (I don’t think it was deliberate and there wasn’t much he could about it) and the second was absolutely a dive by Hourihane. Having said that, it’s debatable as to whether they should have had a player sent off for bringing down Gayle when he was through on goal. Perhaps it was only a yellow because Gayle still had a lot to do and there was another defender not too far away (but not between Gayle and the goal). 

Our first goal might have been ruled out if we had VAR and so may the penalty. Gayle definitely hand balled it. You could argue that the contact from the keeper came first (and may have caused the hand ball) but I’m not convinced. Having said all of that, there is no need to feel too sheepish (no pun intended) as I’m sure all of the other contenders have had their fair share of lucky breaks throughout the season.

I don’t think NML had his best game, Adams was immense (yet again) and Barks had IMO one of his best games even though he didn’t score or provide an assist. Overall a good performance by everyone. Bradly could have prevented their goal but, that apart, he had another good game.

Onto Saturday. It’s not quite a season defining game (and therefore not quite a must win game) but defeat would be quite damaging. COYR.

Had a prior engagement so only got to listen to the last 20 or so, and have had to rely on the highlights, but their keeper definitely clatters Gayle before his hand touches the ball.  Penalty all day long for me.  As for both bookings, very harsh, especially for the handball, which was fired at him at practically point blank range.  Like others have said, it may have been a culmination of his general behaviour.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't think we really sat back in the last 10, best game management we've seen all season I'd say.

Typically Radio Derby made it sound like the Alamo.  Got to say the crowd sounded good in the background though.

None of the posters on their forum has yet flagged up the push on Bradley for their goal. All they're angsting about is how hard done by they were in a game that, if it had been a boxing match, they'd have lost on points by half-time.