Match Thread: vs Reading (H)

43 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Dwight Gayle apologised after the game for the way he “Won “ the penalty . A few years ago he got a 2 game retrospective  ban for winning a penalty v Florists with a superb Bunny Hop. Don’t even think about it EFL . 

Whatever he did in that penalty incident, deliberately or accidentally, none of it involved simulation, which is what he got the retrospective ban for previously.

I haven't heard his 'apology' - what did he say?

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Give this Reading fan a chocolate biscuit - he gets it :

Screenshot_20240313-100156-01.thumb.jpeg.0bb822002b9a2e461531f70e5f36e041.jpeg

He doesn't get it at all!  Quite the opposite, if that first sentence is anything to go by!

I'd have thought the best way to avoid conceding a penalty was indeed to rush out of your box as quick as possible.  You can then bundle away to your hearts content... There ain't no penalties conceded out there!

👀

Edited by Mucker1884

3 hours ago, Srg said:

I didn’t sing it but Reading were one of the clubs who sang it to us. That’s the reasoning. 

I didn't realise that, so thank you for highlighting it and does make a little more sense then. Would that have been at the game at the Madeski when Curtis smashed his headed equaliser in?

I still think it would be nice for us to be the "bigger" fans and not sink to the level but can understand it a bit more

12 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

True enough, but we were asleep for their goal.

I agree Grumpy, but that's not the point I'm making. To listen to some on here you'd think we didn't deserve the 3 points. We're constantly told that we are all Rams and we all want the best, but some do give the strong impression that at very best, they're indifferent. We've had a couple of decisions go bang in our favour, but how many times have officials copped a blind one to stonewall pens in our favour this season? I think the ever meticulous @Ghost of Clough was keeping a count early season and I'm pretty sure he had us in double figures with less than a 3rd of the season played, so I'll not be joining the pearl clutchers on this particular occasion. Likewise, we don't know what Yiadom may or may not have chirped to get himself sent off, but along with Lewis Wing, he was in the ref's ear all night. Had he not been, he might not have been sent off and frankly, Wing himself should have been sent packing inside 60 minutes.

Anyway, we've now sucked the joy out the game (not you mate, but others in spades), so I'm just going to look forward to the Bolton game. If others want to wring their hands, that's their prerogative. I'm enjoying the run in and will happily grab any luck going with open arms.

4 hours ago, Rampant said:

I'll post the match thread for Bolton late tonight. 

Take us home Rampant! Have to say I do enjoy your pre-match preambles. It used to be a thing on here that whoever took the mantle made a bit of effort to build anticipation, so thank you for your well researched and written analyses. Hopefully the last of which will be the final game at Carlisle! 

COYR

Well, that was certainly worth staying awake for! I was fine until after the penalty - then my concentration went and I never quite knew where the ball was! Definitely the best game I’ve seen us play for a long time. I thought everyone played their part and we didn’t need to carry anyone.

I don’t get to many games now, but as I’m staying with my daughter in Loughborough, I’m going to get to the Bolton game. I struggled to get to sleep last night as I was buzzing and at 11.30 my son texted to say he’d booked parking for the Carlisle game so could I sort out tickets!. Getting them is my only contribution these days as he now pays for us all. Let’s hope we’re celebrating on 27th April!

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Did you criticise Jason Knight when he was falling about all over the pitch to get us a free kick

Err Jason Knight used to arrange for himself to be fouled, then fell over. Hourihane only did one of those things.  

None of the posters on their forum has yet flagged up the push on Bradley for their goal. All they're angsting about is how hard done by they were in a game that, if it had been a boxing match, they'd have lost on points by half-time.

The push/nudge was very cute, Something you see time and time again in football, What made it good for me from a football point of view was that the ball was looping down instead of being hit with pace(Sibley taking the pace off)this made it somewhat difficult for Bradley as he has to re-set himself in a couple of seconds...also if he was a little under the weather...why was he still there🤷‍♂️

Best image of the sending-off tackle I can find. The ref is perfectly placed. It looks like there is a point of contact between Yiadom's foot and Hourihane's standing foot, though I'm unable to sharpen the image further. Was it enough of a 'foul' to give both an FK and a 2nd yellow? I've seen similar given against us, I've seen similar waved away.

ReadingFoulFull.thumb.png.b8114d9ee32dbefbd2cc8ad88f57beda.png

Totally deserved win but aided by the hapless ref who made up for his performance in the Bolton game. Lets be honest if he had given those decisions against us we would be raging but we are due a few decisions to go our way. If we can win at the weekend I think we can win the Title.

29 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

He doesn't get it at all!  Quite the opposite, if that first sentence is anything to go by!

I'd have thought the best way to avoid conceding a penalty was indeed to rush out of your box as quick as possible.  You can then bundle away to your hearts content... There ain't no penalties conceded out there!

👀

Penalty against Korey Smith at Bolton?

None of the posters on their forum has yet flagged up the push on Bradley for their goal. All they're angsting about is how hard done by they were in a game that, if it had been a boxing match, they'd have lost on points by half-time.

Not many on here either. I did and I think @Ram-Alf did too. Mr Balance has since corrected me though, as apparently it's only a foul if Bradley complains wildly about it 😂

Edited by Comrade 86

The Gayle goal. Image below of the moment Ward's foot connects with the ball. Lino is in a good position. Gayle, arrowed, is to the right of Bradley who is almost certainly offside, though never becomes active in the move. It's possible that Bradley's position fools the lino into believing that Gayle is probably onside, though it's more likely he can see part of the torsos of either or both of the Reading defenders arrowed at the end of the line who could just be playing Gayle onside. Whatever a VAR-style line would show from a side-on view, this is in no-way a "clear and obvious mistake" by the officials for which they deserve criticism. It's not even clear that is is a mistake at all.

ReadingOffside.thumb.png.cb8be39a407788738b46a8cb9088ffc7.png

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The Gayle goal. Image below of the moment Ward's foot connects with the ball. Lino is in a good position. Gayle, arrowed, is to the right of Bradley who is almost certainly offside, though never becomes active in the move. It's possible that Bradley's position fools the lino into believing that Gayle is probably onside, though it's more likely he can see part of the torsos of either or both of the Reading defenders arrowed at the end of the line who could just be playing Gayle onside. Whatever a VAR-style line would show from a side-on view, this is in no-way a "clear and obvious mistake" by the officials for which they deserve criticism. It's not even clear that is is a mistake at all.

ReadingOffside.thumb.png.cb8be39a407788738b46a8cb9088ffc7.png

Has Pride Park been re-named Agincourt Park😁

Here you go Crewton…..your personalised VAR. You are correct, the line of the penalty box runs at 25 degrees across this photo…..so tracking the same straight line - you can see the defender on the far side is playing Dwight on - if only be his upper torso - Sonny is probably in line with the defender. 

Anyway I’ve geeked myself out now - so going to lie down for a while! 🐏

IMG_3108.jpeg

This ref is a weak ref who is easily influenced. Our away games at Plymouth and Bolton have showed this and again last night. I'm sure that he eventually, deservedly, booked one of their players because of the crowd reaction.

Also, I believe that Reading's cynical attitude throughout the game, turned him against them, they have been one of the most cynical teams to have played here this season and couldn't have complained if more than one player had been sent off. Refs are only human and you can't help but be ticked off when you see a team that has clearly come to spoil a game through cynical and negative tactics.