Match Thread: vs Reading (H)

3 hours ago, Dava75 said:

Here you go Crewton…..your personalised VAR. You are correct, the line of the penalty box runs at 25 degrees across this photo…..so tracking the same straight line - you can see the defender on the far side is playing Dwight on - if only be his upper torso - Sonny is probably in line with the defender. 

Anyway I’ve geeked myself out now - so going to lie down for a while! 🐏

IMG_3108.jpeg

Do you realise that 1.the players are not anywhere near the penalty area line, and the concept of 'perspective' 2.there is already a faint line on the turf close to where they are standing that looks nothing like yours and 3.incredibly a fair few have 'liked' the above var attempt?

1 hour ago, ap04 said:

Do you realise that 1.the players are not anywhere near the penalty area line, and the concept of 'perspective' 2.there is already a faint line on the turf close to where they are standing that looks nothing like yours and 3.incredibly a fair few have 'liked' the above var attempt?

You do understand the concept of humour don’t you…… 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, Redshaw_Ram said:

Thoroughly enjoyed last night. Adams is already proving to be one of the very best signings we have made in recent memory.

Cashin will be playing in the Premier League for the 2025-26 season. Hopefully with us.

It took 6 months of moaning to get a tackler in midfield and Adams is it . From where I stood on the South stand we started well for the first 15 minutes. However Cashin sliced clearances  4 times in ten minutes and we began to wobble . In the Prem all those would have ended up in the back of our net . Cashin has to get a lot better on the ball to make a Championship defender .

18 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I only wish they could but how could they do it? They can't assume the keeper is faking it and they can't make them go off for treatment.

They could stop players going to the touch line when a player is receiving treatment 

6 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

They could stop players going to the touch line when a player is receiving treatment 

Don't you think it odd...that at the time a goalkeeper goes down injured all the players all of a sudden become thirsty Happy Cracking Up GIF

5 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

My favourite part of the game was in the first half when one of their players went down in their box whilst we were attacking, obviously very seriously injured that mysteriously seemed to happen a lot to their players whilst they were drawing, and so the ref stopped play.

The player was face down kicking his legs up and down reminiscent of a toddler having a tantrum in the middle of a shop. If he was that badly injured he wouldn't be thrashing around. They were the dirtiest, most cynical team to come to PP in a long time, and their main tactic seemed to be not to let us play football.

Having re-watched and read the various takes on the controversial incidents, I am happy that the referee was spot on and we won fair and square. Well done, lads!

Was this when their number two went down in the box clutching his face? Those around me in the North Stand thought that he had his back turned when the ball hit him and thought he was plainly cheating? Has not been mentioned though so maybe we saw it wrong.

8 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

Was this when their number two went down in the box clutching his face? Those around me in the North Stand thought that he had his back turned when the ball hit him and thought he was plainly cheating? Has not been mentioned though so maybe we saw it wrong.

If it’s the same incident then he took a pretty well struck shot from Adams square in the face and it was right for the ref to stop play, as unfortunate as it was for our momentum at the time. It was discussed by us armchair lot during the thread. 

9 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

Alas I didn't see what caused him to be so severely yet so temporarily injured in the box, but just enjoyed his magnificent theatrical effort to ensure he was seen by the ref to successfully get the game stopped while we were coincidentally in a good attacking position down your end of the pitch.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

The worst decision I have ever seen in my life was perpetrated by linesman Tofiq Bakhramov - but Robert Madley's crazy 5 seconds at Burnley ran it close.

Atwell disallowing a goal to give a penalty must come close? Then disallowing the penalty we scored?

...if that's not what happened, I blame beer killing the part of my brain that remembers old football matches.

28 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If it’s the same incident then he took a pretty well struck shot from Adams square in the face and it was right for the ref to stop play, as unfortunate as it was for our momentum at the time. It was discussed by us armchair lot during the thread. 

How dare you call me an armchair fan. I was on the sofa.

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

In the video of the incident at full speed, you can see Hourihane briefly grimace at the point that Still picture was taken, suggesting that there may have been brief but painful boot-on-boot contact. Only Hourihane really knows but, despite what Reading fans may think, he's not a serial 'diver' by any stretch of the imagination.

Rams TV (I assume they have a few people looking at replays) thought there was no contact and thought the booking was probably for the reaction not the foul itself

7 hours ago, TooFarInToTurnRed said:

Penalty against Korey Smith at Bolton?

I was just about to explain, thinking you'd missed my point... but then it dawned on me... just in time... what you are referring to!    Phew!

So Yeah... Good point well made... but  at least the officials THOUGHT it wasn't outside the box!    🤣

6 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

... The player was face down kicking his legs up and down reminiscent of a toddler having a tantrum in the middle of a shop. If he was that badly injured he wouldn't be thrashing around...

Really?  🤷‍♂️

I've been in immense pain (Kidney stones) and was most certainly writhing around, until the good guys with the gas & air turned up!  

Try whacking your finger with a hammer, and not shaking your hand!  

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Really?  🤷‍♂️

I've been in immense pain (Kidney stones) and was most certainly writhing around, until the good guys with the gas & air turned up!  

Try whacking your finger with a hammer, and not shaking your hand!  

Ouch! That hurt, but I managed it and stayed very still and just whimpered.

May be one for a scientific study...

I have in mind serious injuries I've witnessed watching football, mainly ACLs and the odd ankle fracture-dislocation as perhaps the most common. My mental picture is a player laying motionless with their arm across their face.

Medical causes of pain like your v painful kidney stones, gallstones, heart attacks etc tend to have their own individual patterns of pain reaction.

It may be just a pre-conceived bias I have, but there seems to be an inverse reaction law in football, in that the more the player writhes around on the floor the less serious their injury tends to be. My cynical head says they often do this to get the game stopped because opponents are in a good position or to break up play if they have been under a sustained period of pressure.

Of course impossible for the referee, as if a player indicates they are seriously injured or have had a head injury then they have to get medical attention on ASAP. Hence why the 30 second rule was brought in to try and stop players doing this less as their team will be down by one player before they can return to the field of play, albeit for a very short period.

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

It took 6 months of moaning to get a tackler in midfield and Adams is it . From where I stood on the South stand we started well for the first 15 minutes. However Cashin sliced clearances  4 times in ten minutes and we began to wobble . In the Prem all those would have ended up in the back of our net . Cashin has to get a lot better on the ball to make a Championship defender .

Worse than any of his sliced clearances was a throw-in he took in the first half which went straight to one of their players. No idea what he was thinking but we were lucky to get away with it.

Usually more happy clapper than wrist slasher but I had a whinge on a different thread after the Charlton defeat but credit where credits due I thought the first half was the best we've played this season and really enjoyed the night. My mate mentioned Wembley on the way home bugger that lets get the job done lads onwards and upwards

3 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Atwell disallowing a goal to give a penalty must come close? Then disallowing the penalty we scored?

...if that's not what happened, I blame beer killing the part of my brain that remembers old football matches.

Atwell is Atwell. He is probably a mistake himself.