Match Thread: vs Reading (H)

41 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Best image of the sending-off tackle I can find. The ref is perfectly placed. It looks like there is a point of contact between Yiadom's foot and Hourihane's standing foot, though I'm unable to sharpen the image further. Was it enough of a 'foul' to give both an FK and a 2nd yellow? I've seen similar given against us, I've seen similar waved away.

ReadingFoulFull.thumb.png.b8114d9ee32dbefbd2cc8ad88f57beda.png

If there’s enough contact to send Hourihane over in that position the. It’s a definite yellow. The space Hourihane moves in to with NML or Gayle as options with clear shots on goal means it has to be a yellow. It would be a cynical trip.

Whether there was contact, or enough to send Hourihane down, is a different question. I don’t see why he would dive in that position unless he recognised it was Yiadom who was already on a yellow and likely to get a second. Penalty area, it’s understandable, but a free kick alone from that position is less dangerous than the position we’d have found ourselves in if he wasn’t “fouled”, I can completely understand why the ref gave it.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If there’s enough contact to send Hourihane over in that position the. It’s a definite yellow. The space Hourihane moves in to with NML or Gayle as options with clear shots on goal means it has to be a yellow. It would be a cynical trip.

Whether there was contact, or enough to send Hourihane down, is a different question. I don’t see why he would dive in that position unless he recognised it was Yiadom who was already on a yellow and likely to get a second. Penalty area, it’s understandable, but a free kick alone from that position is less dangerous than the position we’d have found ourselves in if he wasn’t “fouled”, I can completely understand why the ref gave it.

In the video of the incident at full speed, you can see Hourihane briefly grimace at the point that Still picture was taken, suggesting that there may have been brief but painful boot-on-boot contact. Only Hourihane really knows but, despite what Reading fans may think, he's not a serial 'diver' by any stretch of the imagination.

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Speaking of dark arts though, was getting mighty tired of one of the Reading players (Azeez, I think) standing really close on Cashin's throw-ins - anyone know the rules on this? 

"Opposing players may not approach closer than 2 m (2.2 yd) to the point on the touch-line from which the throw-in is to be taken. "

Bielsa used this tactic when taking Leeds up.

IMHO more managers should use it, especially in an opponent's half - about 4 out of 5 throw-ins go back to the thrower-in to hoof clear, having a man on them stops that and piles on the pressure.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Best image of the sending-off tackle I can find. The ref is perfectly placed. It looks like there is a point of contact between Yiadom's foot and Hourihane's standing foot, though I'm unable to sharpen the image further. Was it enough of a 'foul' to give both an FK and a 2nd yellow? I've seen similar given against us, I've seen similar waved away.

ReadingFoulFull.thumb.png.b8114d9ee32dbefbd2cc8ad88f57beda.png

He overran it, again, because his legs have gone and just went down. Weak link in this team at the moment.

My favourite part of the game was in the first half when one of their players went down in their box whilst we were attacking, obviously very seriously injured that mysteriously seemed to happen a lot to their players whilst they were drawing, and so the ref stopped play.

The player was face down kicking his legs up and down reminiscent of a toddler having a tantrum in the middle of a shop. If he was that badly injured he wouldn't be thrashing around. They were the dirtiest, most cynical team to come to PP in a long time, and their main tactic seemed to be not to let us play football.

Having re-watched and read the various takes on the controversial incidents, I am happy that the referee was spot on and we won fair and square. Well done, lads!

7 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

I apologise for butting into a conversation on a public forum. 

Differing opinions is what it’s all about.

I trust we are both happy with our own.

Up the Rams ! 👍

See there you go again, with your petty digs. You're not apologising, we both know that. If you have a problem with this, then DM me and I'll tell you exactly what I think without running the risk of getting a ban over some Johnny come lately who lays claim to balance, but illustrates none at all.

9 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

See there you go again, with your petty digs. You're not apologising, we both know that. If you have a problem with this, then DM me and I'll tell you exactly what I think without running the risk of getting a ban over some Johnny come lately who lays claim to balance, but illustrates none at all.

Standing Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Come on now, play nice, life’s too short 😊 

The Gayle goal. Image below of the moment Ward's foot connects with the ball. Lino is in a good position. Gayle, arrowed, is to the right of Bradley who is almost certainly offside, though never becomes active in the move. It's possible that Bradley's position fools the lino into believing that Gayle is probably onside, though it's more likely he can see part of the torsos of either or both of the Reading defenders arrowed at the end of the line who could just be playing Gayle onside. Whatever a VAR-style line would show from a side-on view, this is in no-way a "clear and obvious mistake" by the officials for which they deserve criticism. It's not even clear that is is a mistake at all.

ReadingOffside.thumb.png.cb8be39a407788738b46a8cb9088ffc7.png

Gayle’s goal in the first half on Saturday v Bristol Rovers was wrongly given offside, however, if it had been allowed to stand and his one last night ruled-out, we'd now be third.

Move along, nothing to see here.

In the video of the incident at full speed, you can see Hourihane briefly grimace at the point that Still picture was taken, suggesting that there may have been brief but painful boot-on-boot contact. Only Hourihane really knows but, despite what Reading fans may think, he's not a serial 'diver' by any stretch of the imagination.

There is a suggestion that Yiadom's second yellow was for his reaction to the free kick being given.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

He overran it, again, because his legs have gone and just went down. Weak link in this team at the moment.

I don't think that's right - he nudged it away from Yiadom, the ball wasn't running away from him and he had an easy lay off or one-two with NML if he'd stayed on his feet. He couldn't have predicted the ref would card Yiadom again so why would he dive?

Screenshot(72).thumb.png.5bcb139f75beadf4ca628c5837ea0891.png

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I don't think that's right - he nudged it away from Yiadom, the ball wasn't running away from him and he had an easy lay off or one-two with NML if he'd stayed on his feet. He couldn't have predicted the ref would card Yiadom again so why would he dive?

Screenshot(72).thumb.png.5bcb139f75beadf4ca628c5837ea0891.png

Hourihane is no cheat. I don't understand folks' eagerness to suggest otherwise when it's very hard to judge the significance of the contact definitively either way.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I agree Grumpy, but that's not the point I'm making. To listen to some on here you'd think we didn't deserve the 3 points. We're constantly told that we are all Rams and we all want the best, but some do give the strong impression that at very best, they're indifferent. We've had a couple of decisions go bang in our favour, but how many times have officials copped a blind one to stonewall pens in our favour this season? I think the ever meticulous @Ghost of Clough was keeping a count early season and I'm pretty sure he had us in double figures with less than a 3rd of the season played, so I'll not be joining the pearl clutchers on this particular occasion. Likewise, we don't know what Yiadom may or may not have chirped to get himself sent off, but along with Lewis Wing, he was in the ref's ear all night. Had he not been, he might not have been sent off and frankly, Wing himself should have been sent packing inside 60 minutes.

Anyway, we've now sucked the joy out the game (not you mate, but others in spades), so I'm just going to look forward to the Bolton game. If others want to wring their hands, that's their prerogative. I'm enjoying the run in and will happily grab any luck going with open arms.

Well last night's ref turned down 4 or 5 stonewall penalties in the previous two matches he was "in charge of", if that is anything to go by. We're only about 30 penalties down now over the last three years!

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

This is the first I can remember where we’ve had such shockers go for us.

The worst decision I have ever seen in my life was perpetrated by linesman Tofiq Bakhramov - but Robert Madley's crazy 5 seconds at Burnley ran it close.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The worst decision I have ever seen in my life was perpetrated by linesman Tofiq Bakhramov - but Robert Madley's crazy 5 seconds at Burnley ran it close.

1966 World Cup...over the line 😁

This was very contentious in the day ☺️

Just now, Ram-Alf said:

1966 World Cup...over the line 😁

This was very contentious in the day ☺️

I wasn't referring to the World Cup incident - rather, it occurred in the home game v Real Madrid.

Same guy, same requirement for spectacles.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I wasn't referring to the World Cup incident - rather, it occurred in the home game v Real Madrid.

Same guy, same requirement for spectacles.

I was there...re-fresh my memory 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think Tofiq Bakhramov also officiated in the DCFC v Real Madrid game.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

Gayle’s goal in the first half on Saturday v Bristol Rovers was wrongly given offside, however, if it had been allowed to stand and his one last night ruled-out, we'd now be third.

Move along, nothing to see here.

In theory yes but, in reality not necessarily so. You can’t just rule goals out or add goals in at the end of the game and thus alter the result. Nobody knows how the game would have panned out had Gayle’s goal not been given last night. Maybe we wouldn’t have let our concentration drop and concede. Maybe we’d kept the pressure up and scored by another means.

On the game we dominated Reading and thoroughly deserved the win. Yes the referee and linesmen made bad calls but we've had those issues for the past 3 years. Eventually we'll get a rub of the green which the play deserved. I don't necessarily blame Reading for what they're doing, after-all, they've got a job to do and if that's how they win games then fair enough. But we really needed that win to at least slightly ease the pressure on the Bolton game.