Match Thread: vs Reading (H)

6 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

On the game we dominated Reading and thoroughly deserved the win. Yes the referee and linesmen made bad calls but we've had those issues for the past 3 years. Eventually we'll get a rub of the green which the play deserved. I don't necessarily blame Reading for what they're doing, after-all, they've got a job to do and if that's how they win games then fair enough. But we really needed that win to at least slightly ease the pressure on the Bolton game. 

Yes it's third tier football after all, so that's the level you get, not just in terms of players, but also officials. The important thing is the 3pts. It was a good night for Bolton as they clawed back on the goal difference. So for us, beating Reading, any which way, was crucial. 

7 hours ago, Dambuster said:

I think Tofiq Bakhramov also officiated in the DCFC v Real Madrid game.

Yep. Missing an offside by 10 yards takes a special kind of white stick and guide dog.

Not that I minded, of course.

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Rams TV (I assume they have a few people looking at replays) thought there was no contact and thought the booking was probably for the reaction not the foul itself

"Assume" is doing allot of work there. The debrief is put together immediately after the game. Owen and Barks give their immediate opinions after watching the same live action and replays that they show in that programme, unless they have other footage and analysis that they neither show to the audience or refer to. There's no further analysis or footage shown after the publishing of the debrief on the OS. They're such controversial incidents, why isn't there more conclusive evidence published if it exists and they've been able to base their opinions on it?

People were convinced Chris Martin dived until someone showed conclusive evidence that he didn't. Maybe Conor Hourihane deserves the same clarification?

51 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

I’m completely with you on this. Whether the consistency of 3/5 at the back would have been insisted on by Warne, or has somewhat been forced on him with the Nyambe/Foz absence remains to be seen. I personally think that he’d have played a three as much as possible because he’s decided Bradley has to play, and at the end of the day you live and die as a manager by your calls, so, so far, so good. 

Collins’ injury was a real stroke of fortune though. It necessitated a central striker addition who is (and has played) at a higher level consistently than Collins, and who could just make the difference between success and inevitable glorious play off failure. 

This is in no way an attempt to discredit Collins, who has given every ounce of effort and ability to the cause this season, with considerable success. 

All managers need an element of Lady Luck, and those three injuries might yet prove pivotal.

Agree with what you say about the JC injury. But not Fozzie.    imo Warne should months ago have had Foz in the CB role alongside Cashin and Nelson. It’s far and away the strongest defensive base to play from, and - with Fozzie’s distribution - and Wilson, Ward and/or Sibley (even Elder) playing wide, still allows plenty of attacking threat. Frustratingly, Foz’s injury might have been avoided if we’d used that system by design instead of necessity  

As for Nyambe, with Nelson, Cashin and say Foz at the back Ward should be picked ahead of N whether or not N is fit. Ward hasn’t played enough this season. 

Question now is whether he brings Foz into the back 3 in place of Bradley. Foz is the better player all round but despite that I hope Warne will not make that change at this late stage. Don’t think he will …

8 hours ago, Rambam said:

Reading fans accusing Conor of diving. Yiadom here clearly is NOT upset with Hourihane. So he did catch him. 
Never a booking though. 

IMG_3382.jpeg

The booking was for how he protested, yelping away like a spoilt brat of a child. There was contact - only slight, typifying Reading’s cynical approach.

11 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The booking was for how he protested, yelping away like a spoilt brat of a child. There was contact - only slight, typifying Reading’s cynical approach.

Actually, if you watch the highlights, I think you’ll find you are wrong. After the foul is awarded, he runs towards the ref as if he’s going to give a him a mouthful but very quickly checks himself and goes over to Hourihane. I think he realises that he needs to control himself in order to avoid a second booking. All the protests are by other players, he stays out of it.

7 hours ago, Srg said:

Just seen Dai Yongge has agreed to sell Reading’s training ground to… none other than their ambulance chasing rivals, Wycombe Wanderers. 

Rob Couhig is absolute scum. 

That's a long walk back to your car after watching 95 minutes of Rugby Union dressed up as football.Screenshot_20240314-081724-01.thumb.jpeg.e3e76f83444520f19a465b0af422c8f0.jpeg

16 hours ago, Dava75 said:

You do understand the concept of humour don’t you…… 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

You did not post anything "humorous" pal, just put the offside line at a cr*p angle and called it onside.

On 13/03/2024 at 00:08, Srg said:

Clearly we were on the positive end of some bad decisions tonight. Makes a change. Can’t remember the last time we were, in fairness.

Nelson handball v Stevenage, pen not given to Cheltenham before that.

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

Nelson handball v Stevenage, pen not given to Cheltenham before that.

I thought the Nelson one was a classic example of a player not expecting the ball to reach him and it hitting an arm that was in a position which didn't make his outline bigger i.e it was accidental and didn't prevent a goalscoring opportunity. I don't remember the Cheltenham one though.

On 13/03/2024 at 08:45, Tamworthram said:

it’s debatable as to whether they should have had a player sent off for bringing down Gayle when he was through on goal.

He tripped over his own feet after his heel accidentally touched the defender's knee (not a challenge by the defender). These are usually given as very hard to spot in real time but wouldn't have been fair.

Screenshot2024-03-14at14-04-29HIGHLIGHTSDerbyCountyVsReading-YouTube.thumb.png.3ff358a5d92b845bfd054f14d789c913.png

Screenshot2024-03-14at14-00-14HIGHLIGHTSDerbyCountyVsReading-YouTube.thumb.png.5c2a4fea8cb1afa05f40450c8387383a.png

1 hour ago, ap04 said:

He tripped over his own feet after his heel accidentally touched the defender's knee (not a challenge by the defender). These are usually given as very hard to spot in real time but wouldn't have been fair.

Screenshot2024-03-14at14-04-29HIGHLIGHTSDerbyCountyVsReading-YouTube.thumb.png.3ff358a5d92b845bfd054f14d789c913.png

Screenshot2024-03-14at14-00-14HIGHLIGHTSDerbyCountyVsReading-YouTube.thumb.png.5c2a4fea8cb1afa05f40450c8387383a.png

I think the theory is that it doesn't have to be deliberate. If a defender crosses behind the attacker close enough that you accidentally clip his foot and causes him to trip over then it’s a foul.

1 hour ago, ap04 said:

The defender also put an arm out to grab Gayle's arm briefly, so it wasn't quite as innocent as that.

I think the cover inside Gayle, and just about level with him, was probably what saved him but, whilst it would have been harsh, I've seen those given as red card offences, so he was perhaps lucky that the ref on this occasion gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Shaun Barker thought it was a red card and he's always right, isn't he? 😉

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The defender also put an arm out to grab Gayle's arm briefly, so it wasn't quite as innocent as that.

I think the cover inside Gayle, and just about level with him, was probably what saved him but, whilst it would have been harsh, I've seen those given as red card offences, so he was perhaps lucky that the ref on this occasion gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Shaun Barker thought it was a red card and he's always right, isn't he? 😉

At the match, I thought that Gayle cleverly want across the chasing player, instigating the contact. But, I agree, after watching the replay, the defender does reach out to try and pull Gayle back, so definitely not so innocent.

17104332083907126190109998894744.jpg

On 13/03/2024 at 08:21, Crewton said:

That's why I don't think it's worth trying to work out whether the decisions were correct or not when the available replays aren't conclusive

A couple of pages back you liked a post on Sibley being onside at Bristol without even seeing a replay never mind conclusive.

19 hours ago, Crewton said:

Hmm so because the lad made a movement with his arm trying to reach him at best grazing him with his fingernails and having zero effect on his balance he's not so innocent, but when Curtis at Wednesday actively put hands on both striker's arms not only didn't have it coming but it was the great injustice and the player & ref heard god knows what.

On 13/03/2024 at 09:50, Crewton said:

If I had a pound for every time a poster had complained about our players being "too soft" or "naive" or where a poster has complained that we aren't canny enough to employ the "dark arts" I'd have enough money to adequately compensate those posters who are offended when we do beat an opponent at their own game for once, and still have enough left to buy a decent centre forward 😉

At least after Tuesday we know certain posters will never again call a player a dirty cheat for going down once there is contact, or even the slightest suspicion of contact (or perhaps without one as why would they be naive); OR ever grumble about decisions when the opposition are the better side (or every time we: set up to defend and spoil a game say next year; commit many fouls; complain to ref for giving many fouls; timewaste; or have keeper come off his line foul or not).