DERBY COUNTY FANS FORUM: MARCH 2024

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Not sure how to take that remark. Surely if you're in the current squad it would leave you feeling,that if we go up, am I going to be retained or disposed of. Hope that doesn't have a detrimental effect on team morale or am I over thinking it? 

I reckon there’ll be some conditional “gentleman’s agreements” in the background for one or two to be extended, others may have made it clear they want to move on (I reckon Hourihane will be one), some might be waiting to know what league for their own decisions and it’s the reality of football that players come and go. 
There’s still plenty of incentive (and possibly financial reward in bonuses) for getting promotion I reckon 

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Not sure how to take that remark. Surely if you're in the current squad it would leave you feeling,that if we go up, am I going to be retained or disposed of. Hope that doesn't have a detrimental effect on team morale or am I over thinking it? 

I don’t think we should try to read anything into the tweet in isolation. As others have said, there is probably a lot more context to add. Since when have we known PW to give such a short answer?

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think we should try to read anything into the tweet in isolation. As others have said, there is probably a lot more context to add. Since when have we known PW to give such a short answer?

Yeah the context comment is a fair point and PW does tend to speak more honestly than he should in certain situations. That's not a dig at him btw. 

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not trying to start a Pearce pile on, but what point is he trying to make about the independent regulator here? That they would have stopped Morris?

An independent regulator may mean a fairer distribution of TV money, which may mean less risk taking from Championship clubs.

Contract renewals I'm relaxed about (my man crush Cashin has signed so who cares!). As we dont know if its L1 or Championship building for that season is difficult, it's not like we can really play the odds yet either paying contracts on assumptions.

Players may feel this too, some may be happy that they can get X if we go up or settle for Y if we dont. Some may think they are Championship players and can get a gig in there if we dont. Some may realise that a realistic Derby future is only possible if they stay in L1, and if they go up then they are playing not for a Derby contract but one elsewhere.

Assets secured the rest may be used to give wriggle room in a rebuild. After a good look at the Academy some of those fringe players may be replaced by those? Money then spent on a few Premium players.

I like the idea of investors waiting in the wings for promotion, economically viable (now), top 20 attendances, promotion bounce could be attractive. If that happens I'd like to see Clowes remain in whatever role he wishes, that is if he wishes it. He has earned that much.

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Not much of an incentive for the players to get promoted now is it? Or am I looking at it wrong 

Your not.  I assume some will be realistic enough to know.  Not so great spelt out in public.  A not at this time would probably have sufficed

Promotion on the CV is a good thing for all the players I'd have thought regardless of if they're staying or not, wherever they go next coming in as "won promotion last season" gets you more kudos and maybe a few extra pennies.

From the club side, the situation of us being championship vs being League 1 changes a few decisions you'd have thought? Probably changes players decisions as well.

56 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I was there, and it was a flippant short answer "no" - because all of his other answers had been lengthy and light-hearted

The context was actually that they don't plan to make any more decisions on contracts until they know what division we are in next season. That the focus is 100% on the seven remaining games

The bit added on the tweet about "lots of changes" was not, as I remember it, said in the direct context of answering that question. 

FWIW I recommend everyone watch the replay tomorrow, but only Warne's bits - the rest was really, really dull

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Not much of an incentive for the players to get promoted now is it? Or am I looking at it wrong 

Or maybe the players try harder to be one of those retained in the Championship. Added to that plenty of players end up on the scrapheap each year, by 'giving up', they're not exactly going the best way to impress a new manager.

Would you sign a player, who couldn't be bothered, especially one playing for a team with so much to play for?

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I was there, and it was a flippant short answer "no" - because all of his other answers had been lengthy and light-hearted

The context was actually that they don't plan to make any more decisions on contracts until they know what division we are in next season. That the focus is 100% on the seven remaining games

The bit added on the tweet about "lots of changes" was not, as I remember it, said in the direct context of answering that question. 

FWIW I recommend everyone watch the replay tomorrow, but only Warne's bits - the rest was really, really dull

I liked the dull bits. 😊

Depends what you're there for, really.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not trying to start a Pearce pile on, but what point is he trying to make about the independent regulator here? That they would have stopped Morris?

He said that the independent regulator would be able to intervene with owners if needed, no mention of Morris, and that it may lead to a more even distribution of broadcasting monies.

He said that there has been virtually unanimous support from the 72 EFL clubs, apart from a few clubs in receipt of parachute payments. 

I’d be surprised Sibbo, Wildsmith and Tommo weren’t offered contracts as they’re obviously valuable to the club due to age, quality and potential.

Hourihane, Smith, Collins, Waghorn will be released if we’re promoted I reckon. Although I think you could argue a case for retaining them

Forsyth and Barkhuizen 🤔 I’d keep Barks and Fozzy still seems to be doing it so I’d keep him too 

1 hour ago, Topram said:

On the flip side, if you give a player an extension now, do they take their foot off the pedal because they know they're here next season no matter what?

I highly doubt that every single out of contract player will be let go regardless of if we're in the Championship or League One. There will be players who we may not want to extend in the Championship, but equally, if we fail from this position, are some of the players here ones we would want to try again next season?

There's of course other factors, such as players may only want to re-sign if we're in the league above, or their wage demands may differ depending on divison. I think it's pretty sensible and unsurprising that we aren't dishing out new deals one month before the season ends and I would be even more surprised if it impacts the players' mentality.

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Further to my previous answer, look at the Championship play off final, half of the winning team each year, who you see celebrating on the pitch, have just earned their own P45.

22 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Don't you just know that without any context this is going to become another stick for some people to beat Warne with!

6 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

Don't you just know that without any context this is going to become another stick for some people to beat Warne with!

And don't you just know that before anything negative has even been said people will be making snide comments about people using it as a stick to beat Warne with.   It's equally tiresome from both sides.

Given the narrative around the stadium sale being it was approved, then somehow wasn't allowed retrospectively, I'm taking the comment about the independent regulator to mean that any big decisions like this would go through the regulator, stopping this he said, she said nonsense.