DERBY COUNTY FANS FORUM: MARCH 2024

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

21 seems rather old.  Better ones normally have 40-50 games by then

Guess that’s the point, better ones are the exception to the rule and get their debuts sooner then go on to make more apps as you say, others have to wait a bit for their chance? Without further context and given Matt Hale’s background I’ve assumed that average refers to a broader sample across football than specific to us 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Fleming was only here 7 months.  The bloke who was too knit together the philosophy of the first team and prepare those ready to step up how to implement their introduction.  Not gone well then or just likes Germany. 

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Fleming was only here 7 months.  The bloke who was too knit together the philosophy of the first team and prepare those ready to step up how to implement their introduction.  Not gone well then or just likes Germany. 

Or the lure of career progression in the form of a lucrative contract in the German top flight with a colleague he had an established working relationship with? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Wording

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Or the lure of career progression in the form of a lucrative contract in the German top flight with a colleague he had an established working relationship with? 

Looking at their position and ours it could be a like for like swop in terms of club standing in a few weeks.  Weird for him to move so quick having left Southampton to come here who are likely to be in the premier league very soon.  That would indicate club position is not that high on his agenda.  He's worked with the manager but you'd also think he came here to work with people he knew so that's ying and yang.  Only been there a day as well so must have been in the offing for a bit.   

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Looking at their position and ours it could be a like for like swop in terms of club standing in a few weeks.  Weird for him to move so quick having left Southampton to come here who are likely to be in the premier league very soon.  That would indicate club position is not that high on his agenda.  He's worked with the manager but you'd also think he came here to work with people he knew so that's ying and yang.  Only been there a day as well so must have been in the offing for a bit.   

🤷🏻‍♂️ only a select few will know the details, it’s done, we move on is my stance. 

39 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

From this tweet in particular, I have long wondered whether there is anything in the pipeline for investment if we are promoted. Wasn't it mentioned a little while back that Clowes was seeking/welcoming investment?

Derby in the Championship with no debt, the support and the facilities would be a fantastic opportunity for someone. Clowes is a self-confessed reluctant owner, would he have the disposable funds to make this squad "competitive" in the Championship? Of course, the quote above is what you'd expect them to say, they aren't going to tell us that if we go up we'll be scraping the barrel and probably won't survive. But it really wouldn't surprise me if something has already been agreed should we finish the job and go up this year.

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

Not much of an incentive for the players to get promoted now is it? Or am I looking at it wrong 

I’d say it’s a matter of perspective, and there’s maybe more context that’s missing from the tweet. 
Warne may be answering a direct question and saying there’s not going to be any more renewals before the season ends, but that doesn’t mean some of those players’ contracts won’t be renewed at all, just that we won’t know for certain until the season ends. In which case the incentive is there to earn that promotion and a new deal here, or play a part in that promotion and earn a new deal somewhere else.

But that’s me always looking for the positive in a situation. I would hope we’d be looking to extend some of the expiring deals (Sibley, Wildsmith, Thompson, maybe Collins and Gayle too) but I don’t know if those players would want to extend either, maybe all parties are happy to wait and see where we are. 

8 minutes ago, Topram said:

Not much of an incentive for the players to get promoted now is it? Or am I looking at it wrong 

Dunno. I thought Warne was wanting players for the Championship now? TBH maybe if we go up many will find it easier to move on?

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

Could be were not talking to players about new contracts now because we don’t want it to be a distraction.  And changes are inevitable whichever division we’re in due to the number of players out of contract, age profile, etc.  And they probably know that anyway.

Either way, I’d wait and watch it back later in the week.  It’s impossible to get the context of the discussion in a tweet.

43 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not sure how to take that remark. Surely if you're in the current squad it would leave you feeling,that if we go up, am I going to be retained or disposed of. Hope that doesn't have a detrimental effect on team morale or am I over thinking it? 

Edit: Apologies @Topram. Looks like you've already made the same point.

Edited by Steve How Hard?

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

From this tweet in particular, I have long wondered whether there is anything in the pipeline for investment if we are promoted. Wasn't it mentioned a little while back that Clowes was seeking/welcoming investment?

Derby in the Championship with no debt, the support and the facilities would be a fantastic opportunity for someone. Clowes is a self-confessed reluctant owner, would he have the disposable funds to make this squad "competitive" in the Championship? Of course, the quote above is what you'd expect them to say, they aren't going to tell us that if we go up we'll be scraping the barrel and probably won't survive. But it really wouldn't surprise me if something has already been agreed should we finish the job and go up this year.

Could be. I’ve held this quiet hope for a while now that things like the Knight and Bird money, along with our recent shrewder business dealings whether enforced or not, would see us in a fairly strong position in this summer for some modest spending. 
Probably naive thinking on my part and no doubt someone will be along to pish on my chips shortly, but i like the fantastical idea we’ve banked a bit of cash and will spend some this summer. Of course not wild spending but a few of the better freebies supplemented with a couple of £500k signings or whatever, who knows….maybe the odd Scottish international on £30k a week, that sort of thing 😉