DERBY COUNTY FANS FORUM: MARCH 2024

59 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Is that your inference from the tweet or context from seeing the full answer?

Just the tweet in your post.

You need to treat the cause not the symptoms 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Finding the constant moaning about Pearce quite tiresome to be honest. 

Think people need to move on or at the very least adopt the ‘if you haven’t got anything nice to say don’t say it all’ approach.

Well said. 

He isn't Mel Morris and we need to stop beating him with same old moans and groans.

2 hours ago, Topram said:

Not much of an incentive for the players to get promoted now is it? Or am I looking at it wrong 

I think the tweet has been taken out of context to be fair.

Paul also said he wanted a younger more athletic sqaud but he would want to retain some of the more experienced players (while others will naturally move on). There will big changes to the sqaud in the summer regardless of the division but there will also be large part of the current sqaud we will obviously look to retain.

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not trying to start a Pearce pile on, but what point is he trying to make about the independent regulator here? That they would have stopped Morris?

One of the main parts of the regulator is “live” financial monitoring so over spending outside of FFP is caught straight away and clubs told there and then to rein it in. 

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not trying to start a Pearce pile on, but what point is he trying to make about the independent regulator here? That they would have stopped Morris?

Possibly that it will be good that the EFL can no longer appoint themselves as judge, jury and executioner?

9 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I was there, and it was a flippant short answer "no" - because all of his other answers had been lengthy and light-hearted

The context was actually that they don't plan to make any more decisions on contracts until they know what division we are in next season. That the focus is 100% on the seven remaining games

The bit added on the tweet about "lots of changes" was not, as I remember it, said in the direct context of answering that question. 

FWIW I recommend everyone watch the replay tomorrow, but only Warne's bits - the rest was really, really dull

Thanks. That does add more context. No more decisions before the end of the season make total sense. If the bit about changes in the summer sounds a bit better and, again, a lot of sense. Perhaps DD was a little clumsy combining the comments in one tweet.

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Thanks. That does add more context. No more decisions before the end of the season make total sense. If the bit about changes in the summer sounds a bit better and, again, a lot of sense. Perhaps DD was a little clumsy combining the comments in one tweet.

I'd imagine decisions have been made in regards to who would be offered what based on what division, just not actioned yet. 

11 hours ago, Topram said:

Not much of an incentive for the players to get promoted now is it? Or am I looking at it wrong 

Looking at it wrong. We have around double figures out of contract anyway, a lot of whom are old, we'd have massive changes regardless. Any player would knows this.

There was a good question on "would Paul Warne at the height of his playing days get into the current Derby team?" 

He gave a good answer, but the subtext was that he likes athletic players, and that he knows whether a player is Championship standard or not (saying he has no idea why he got games in the Championship because he wasn't good enough!)

In the context of the later comment  about contract renewals and changes - I think we just have to trust that he will make the right choices (within whatever financial restraints he has)

11 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Finding the constant moaning about Pearce quite tiresome to be honest. 

Think people need to move on or at the very least adopt the ‘if you haven’t got anything nice to say don’t say it all’ approach.

There was an audible groan at that question. A few saying ‘leave it’ under their breath. I agree. 

3 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

There was an audible groan at that question. A few saying ‘leave it’ under their breath. I agree. 

Worse than that - he just trotted out the exact same speech he gave twice at the previous forum in september. It's clear he's not going go own it, or admit any culpability - so at this point I'd just give it up. Time to move forward.

If we end up in another financial mess under his stewardship there will be a lot of "I told you so's" but I have to say there is a very different air to his comments under DC (frugal and considered) than those he made under MM (cavalier and cocky). And that's hardly a surprise - probably answers the question about "what lessons have you learned" more than his actual (non) answer

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think the best policy is for those of us not there last night to reserve judgement until we have watched the full recording rather than respond to snippets leaked via X. That includes me.

@Tamworthram slams Derby "supporters" for knowingly taking bosses comments out of context. Also fails to condem Holocaust deniers.

30 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think the best policy is for those of us not there last night to reserve judgement until we have watched the full recording rather than respond to snippets leaked via X. That includes me.

Well said.

We were told not to record or anything last night, as the Club would be putting out the full video today.

I was therefore a bit disappointed to find out that Dietrich was live tweeting, but putting out his own slant on what was said. His headline on X 

Fallout? Hardly, and the subtext makes it sound like Brown has left as well as Fleming.

Just slightly seedy and not at all a reflection of the mood of the room last night.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Fallout? Hardly, and the subtext makes it sound like Brown has left as well as Fleming.

Just slightly seedy and not at all a reflection of the mood of the room last night.

100% - that's really disappointing from Radio Derby. Trying to cause controversy where literally none exists

I came away thinking that, for once, there was nothing really controversial said. 

The only bits even vaguely contentious were Matt Hale saying that they taught the academy players to "cheat" 

and PW saying that he completely respects the rights of the fans to boo his players off the pitch at full time if you feel that they haven't performed well enough

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Another aspect possibly how the Football Regulator would have dealt with our situation is the establishment of a licencing structure with all clubs, similar to what they have in France and Germany. Any club that is spending far beyond their means or a owner that is mistreating their club (as we currently see with reading) will have their licence downgraded to a provisional (for 3 years) or even in harsher situations maybe even have their licence taken away (the parliament bill states that will be a last resort)

Good examples of the licencing structure in action in the above countries recently have been Kaiserslautern and Bordeaux who were deep financial turmoil after being reckless with spending got relegated to the depths of their respective lower professional divisions and were given a similar provisional licences to get their finances in order and are now on a path to being more sustainably run.

Essentially it creates a more formal lay of the land for owners to say 'you can only spend this amount otherwise there will be trouble!'. I suspect we will see initially lots of clubs downgraded to provisional licences to get their finances in order (outstanding debts, paying taxes etc). The regulator has to be strict and firm from the get go. What will be interesting however is the EFL going to punish clubs themselves if a club downgraded to a provisional licence i.e. points deduction (is there a need?)

Edited by eddielewis

4 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

100% - that's really disappointing from Radio Derby. Trying to cause controversy where literally none exists

I came away thinking that, for once, there was nothing really controversial said. 

The only bits even vaguely contentious were Matt Hale saying that they taught the academy players to "cheat" 

and PW saying that he completely respects the rights of the fans to boo his players off the pitch at full time if you feel that they haven't performed well enough

Really, what about the way he likes his beans on a full English 😧