DERBY COUNTY FANS FORUM: MARCH 2024

4 hours ago, angieram said:

And even that comment about booing was said to make the point not to do it during the game itself, to keep supporting the players during the game because it does lift them.

I remember hearing a story about someone at Bill Shankly's press conference when he said about football being more important than life or death. Said it was clearly ironic aimed at people who were taking it too seriously.

I actually just looked up the full quote and it's 'literally' dripping with irony: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

10 minutes ago, horizon said:

Will this be available to watch back on ramstv?

It's supposed to be available at some point this evening. I hope so as there's been nothing to watch this week with the flaming international break.

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It's supposed to be available at some point this evening. I hope so as there's been nothing to watch this week with the flaming international break.

Thanks 👍 I've purposely been avoiding this thread / twitter updates so I can get my own take on it 

13 hours ago, tinman said:

One of the main parts of the regulator is “live” financial monitoring so over spending outside of FFP is caught straight away and clubs told there and then to rein it in. 

Preventative medicine you mean? Mad, that is! 😋

Thanks all. I'll probably have a watch myself, but grateful for the summaries. One observation is that PW's comments about no further contract extensions might be a 'no' as we would need to engage with the EFL for sign off. It doesn't seem that even Gayle's signing was easy, despite us having no fit strikers, so perhaps we are simply at the limit allowed under the business plan and must now wait until summer to do anything further. And frankly, if any player finds that demotivating with us sat second and looking at promotion, they can feck off anyway. They'll most likely all be receiving bonuses in any case, whether they stay or not.

29 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Thanks all. I'll probably have a watch myself, but grateful for the summaries. One observation is that PW's comments about no further contract extensions might be a 'no' as we would need to engage with the EFL for sign off. It doesn't seem that even Gayle's signing was easy, despite us having no fit strikers, so perhaps we are simply at the limit allowed under the business plan and must now wait until summer to do anything further. And frankly, if any player finds that demotivating with us sat second and looking at promotion, they can feck off anyway. They'll most likely all be receiving bonuses in any case, whether they stay or not.

Having just watched the video, even though his answer was a simple “no”, I very much got the impression that it was a case of remaining focused on the job in hand now (which is what Pearce said when he chipped in) rather than the challenge of getting EFL sign off. Without it being said, it is probably a case of 1) depends on what division we’re playing in next year and 2) not risking players getting complacent if they’ve had a contract extension before the season is done.

Just finished watching it all and would recommend every fan doing the same - the youth academy stuff is interesting but the Warne/Pearce bit is excellent.

If even the most hardened anti-Warne fan still has a negative opinion about him and the culture he's building at the club after watching, I'm not sure what else we can do to help you.  I personally hope he oversees the next 5 years of our development.  Might even treat myself to a bobble hat!

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Just finished watching it all and would recommend every fan doing the same - the youth academy stuff is interesting but the Warne/Pearce bit is excellent.

If even the most hardened anti-Warne fan still has a negative opinion about him and the culture he's building at the club after watching, I'm not sure what else we can do to help you.  I personally hope he oversees the next 5 years of our development.  Might even treat myself to a bobble hat!

I agree he comes across really well, but the harsh truth is that he can be the best cultural fit imaginable, but it's a results business. As soon as the results are outside the tolerance Clowes has set that's it. We're not in that position now of course, but that's the reality of a managers life.

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I agree he comes across really well, but the harsh truth is that he can be the best cultural fit imaginable, but it's a results business. As soon as the results are outside the tolerance Clowes has set that's it. We're not in that position now of course, but that's the reality of a managers life.

True but promotion contenders/top 6 this season was imho the target - from 2 seasons into a 4 year deal.

As for the Championship we're looking at a couple of seasons to acclimatise and even then unless we get additional funding from elsewhere we're going to struggle to replicate the top 6s of the ill-fated MM era. 

But lets not worry about that yet, we've got 7 important games to go...

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

True to some extent, but I'm hopeful Clowes may have a few other factors to judge by as well as pure results.

22 hours ago, Srg said:

Forsyth, Loach, Hourihane, Waghorn, Collins, Smith, Barkhuizen, Gayle, Wildsmith, Sibley, Robinson (I think) and Thompson all out of contract.

Wildsmith, Sibley, Gayle, Collins, Thompson, Barkhuizen, Robinson .

Renew those in that priority order for me.

It’s ok, you can boo, Warne said you can and it’s the end of my post now.

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

True to some extent, but I'm hopeful Clowes may have a few other factors to judge by as well as pure results.

He almost certainly has, but the one key metric a manager is measured on us results. A manager can hit every other target put infront of them, but if results are in the toilet it doesn't matter.

Anyway, we're not there with Warne, he's currently on target for promotion which is the stated aim this season.

These are the main comments I picked up from Matt Hale and Jake Buxton. 

Academy chances
Buxton - players haven't done enough in training to convince Warne to play them. However, he aknowledges some players need to be given the chance in the team to show they are good enoguh. He used Thompson as an example, as he wasn't a standout in the academy, but showed he was capable once given game time in the first team.
Hale - pointed out it's difficult when Warne's priority is promotion and the risk of dropping an untested player in potentially resulting in less points on the board. Harsh on those youngsters when we're 3-0 up in games and have unused subs.

Breakthrough players
Understandably, neither wanted
Hale - average age of a Premier League debut is 21. I disagree with his view that a debut at a younger age is a good achievement, espeically with us being a L1 club (and hoopefully Championship club soon)
Buxton - highlighted the young players we have in the U21 squad at the moment, with several 17 year old playing. However, Robinson and Fapetu and 19 and Weston are 20 (all should be looking at first team football either with us or on loan).

Development
Hale - Restructures our U18 and U21 setup at the start of the season, to ensure each individual player has their own session, reviewed regularly. Now in the Central League to play agaisnt older players and expereicne the importance of wins over performances and help transition to men's football. Pointed out that we need to teach them the dark arts (tactical fouls, etc)
Buxton - greater variety of games is important and gives them a different experience (passing football in PL2 and more direct in the Central League)
Hale - work with other sports to look at transferable skills (momentum was highlighted). Also work with other businesses. Applies to staff and players.
Hale - review suitability of loan (game time and suitability). May want to ask more money off the loaning club if they aren't playing as much as we like as they could be in our U21s instead. Ensure staff watch every game of players out on loan and offer support to all players (such as life skills for players who will be away from home for the first time)

On style of play
Buxton - Writing a playing phylosophy for the whole club which hasn't been fully implemented yet. He described it as "free flowing football" with a "high press". U21s are already aligned with the first team.
Hale - Added that they need to teach them when to press, when to drop off, knowing that we'll be more adaptable in the first team. Pointed out ball retention is important and correlated with league position, but also added winning the ball back is just as important.

Other comments
Hale - Derby's training ground is twice the size of Southampton's.
Hale - Vision for the academy is to be PL ready in terms of staff, players, facilities
Buxton - All staff sit with players to discuss if they will or won't be retained. If to be released, they're told early on in the season. Players will be offered trials prior to signing for the U21 squad.
Hale - a lot of scouts viewing all age groups to spot players and have a filtering process. Strong competition with other Cat 1 clubs, with Moor Farm "packed" every game to watch our games. Plans in place for reviewing contract offerings to 16/17 year olds to aid retenation. Opportunity and pathway to the first team is our USP as we can't offer the money PL clubs can.

Comments from Stephen Pearce and Paul Warne to follow...