v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

1 hour ago, jono said:

First 20 mins ok, set piece and Cash goal, nice. Bird and Cash standout players … as for the rest of the game ?

Horrible horrible horrible. Head tennis, poor passing, the lack of basic ball control from so many players was embarrassing. 

Silly mistakes lost us that .. but was Joe outside the box when he fouled their man ? I guess I  must have black and white glasses but he looked to be at least a foot outside his area at the moment it happened ? And their No 33 was a dirty cheating sod. However, none of that excuses the limite and skills on show tonight. Need to get it sorted for Saturday. We are better than this. 

Unfortunately, I am beginning to believe that on genuine evidence PW and his team are woefully inadequate. Tactically naive, they allow other managers and their coaching teams to take total advantage of any and every strategic tactical decision. I was never expecting Pep, but this is bettered on local playing fields by many a under 8's coach.

Basically it lets us down. Even if by fluke we get promoted, I am sorry that we cannot sustain this. I have never been anti Warne and Co but did note my reservations and concerns quite a while ago (these were quite obvious, so everyone else noted them) but no-one in the coaching team appears to learn.

I'm not a spring chicken having watched Derby For around 63 years and I 'm not saying I remember that much in my early years (but I have seen a lot of football, in my time)  but an older guy said to me tonight, after the match; that the manager is just a PE teacher and his only answer is to get quicker, unfortunately, the technicians have caught up. This is 2024, this I am afraid is a cul-de-sac.

Edited by Lokidoki

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed.

Cashin was very good. Smith was OK. I'll let Gayle off given it was his first start and he didn't get any decent service (sounds familiar) and CBT barely had enough time to get his boots dirty. But the rest? 

Smith was our best player (I'd like to know why he was subbed). Gayle made a few good flick-ons and had good movement with little service. Bird was doing the job of 3 midfielders by the end because everyone else was playing upfront.

Warne got the substitutions wrong. Wildsmith did another brainless thing. Charlton were dirty feckers who had the weak referee in their pockets - Adams had the s*** kicked out of him, their player on a booking kicked the ball away but didn't get a second yellow card, their injured player ignored the refs instructions to take the shortest route off the pitch and didn't get booked......jeez, the list is endless 😞

3 hours ago, Mckram said:

I can’t remember him saying that as I was still trying to recover from what I’d just witnessed, but I do remember him saying that the first 20 minutes today was the best we’ve played this season…which sums up how bad the football has been this season. 

For Real Reaction GIF by Curious Pavel

I strive to be positive but wow, that second half was absolutely terrible. There has been some dross served up this season, but that was just appalling. Against a team who needed a replay to beat Cray Valley earlier this season. I don’t know how we can improve by Saturday, but we must. We are still second, we still have a great opportunity. We’ve just got to get a grip when we are ahead and stop throwing points away. We surely can do it. Am I hopeful?? Always. Are my expectations high?? Alas, not tonight. But if we win on Saturday I will be positive again. Let’s all keep going.

39 minutes ago, sage said:

Just woken up to see the highlights.

Is Elder injured? If not, can someone explain that back 4 to me.

Wildsmith has lost the plot like last season.

We are so lucky that Bolton are imploding too.

2nd place is now up for grabs for 6 teams.

You should go back to bed. In fact I advise you to sleep until June 🙂

7 hours ago, thischarmingram said:

Results starting to catch up with the performances now, another limp display devoid of any plan it would seem. 

This.

I've been clinging on to "We can't be that bad, we're second, yeah" but now it's more "I can't believe we're getting away with this for so long".  Latest case in point being Bolton losing at Wigan.

I can only recall one home game all season where I've sat feeling comfortable, confident, and for the most part, entertained.

My biggest plus from last night was that something came up, and I completely missed this game.  (Lucky me!)  I only have these pages to go on, but it ain't good reading!

I'm just glad I renewed on Monday, otherwise my little joke about changing my mind might well have come to fruition!

Not particularly looking forward to Saturday, but I'll trundle over, more in blind hope than expectation.  That's not how it should be.

6 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Dont bother - i tried also but was just called blinkered etc by other posters. But I dont actually give a 💩 about any of it tonight as today my son got a medical school offer after 2 years of trying and I couldnt be prouder

Well that's properly important good news. Shame about the forum stuff but there's one or two on here who seem to want to label people rather than read what is actually written. I get it too.

And shame that our form seems to be slipping away again....

3 hours ago, sage said:

Just woken up to see the highlights.

Is Elder injured? If not, can someone explain that back 4 to me.

Wildsmith has lost the plot like last season.

We are so lucky that Bolton are imploding too.

2nd place is now up for grabs for 6 teams.

If it's down to bottle I'd have us at the back of those 6.

Form seems to be sliding again. Every recent year feels similar.

Well that was a poo end to a nice holiday, taxi got us back from Gatwick with 10 mins to spare before kick off ( on rtv ), wasn’t sure on the team but we seemed to start ok with real tempo and intent , got a goal and then it just fell apart ,, ffs what is wildsmith doing 🤷🏻‍♂️, from then on the result / ending seemed pretty clear to a long time derby fan , our players and perhaps the management team just don’t seem to have the balls when we get into good position to kick on in games and cementing top two ,

last night was probably the most disappointing this season , there’s only one chance and that s that the players and management put last night behind them with the attitude that the season starts here ,

over to you warne and the boys 🤷🏻‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If it's down to bottle I'd have us at the back of those 6.

Form seems to be sliding again. Every recent year feels similar.

Apart from Exeter our form in 2024 has been so so. Stevenage result was good in context. But most of our other wins have been by the skin of our teethe.

Home form is average at best. We have 27,000 most weeks, Pride Park should be a fortress. Instead away matches look our better source of results.

Feel almost embarrassed to tell family members that we’re second but not enjoying the football. Being second shouldn’t feel like this.

After reflecting over night I thought we played well for the first 15-20 mins.  That said, we didn’t make the most of that by troubling their goalkeeper enough.  We have to capitalise on those spells in games.  They got back in but I thought we edged it at half-time and just about deserved the lead.

But the 2nd half, what happened?  It’s normal for the team behind to come out fired up and have a good 10-15 mins. It happens in most games, everywhere.  But we couldn’t get a grip and lacked someone to calm things down a bit.  I’ve no idea what Wildsmith was doing for the pen.  I don’t think he needs to come out that far, it’s at the far corner of the area, others are getting back and the striker has a lot to do to score. 

The substitutions and tactical changes worried me. They just seemed a bit chaotic.  When he brought Barkhuizen and Sibley on, I expected Sibley on the left as a LWB and Barkhuizen up front but it was the other way round.  Then constant moving players around. Sibley was continually moved to different positions.  It reminded me of Stevenage away when we had something like 4 RWBs in the 2nd half.

I’m kinda thankful for the awful sleep I’ve had recently,  I was that tired I fell asleep shortly after they equalised. 

Paul must know that if he gets us up he’ll be replaced shortly after 😂

Edited by 8Leeds