Paul Warne

Day

24 minutes ago, The Running Man said:

Can't believe Warne told Collo, Jackson, and Forsyth to miss those penalties! Terrible tactical decision!

tbf had they scored them there would be some crediting Warne with installing the mental toughness within the squad to see us through on penalties despite the earlier performance.

Swings and roundabouts, as they say.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

14 minutes ago, The Running Man said:

Can't believe he told the players to miss those chances either.

At what point for you does the manager take responsibility for anything? because you could just keep going with this until everything that happens on the pitch is because of the players.

On 27/10/2022 at 09:41, Ghost of Clough said:

You aren't the first to claim this, but what are you basing it on? Poor results? The majority of the people who don't think Warne should be manager are basing their opinion on much more than results. (1) Style of play, damage to the academy, (2) reducing the chances of keeping our academy graduates, (3) dwindling attendances, (4) the destruction of the feel good factor around the club, etc...

Almost 2 years on.

1. The football is still awful

2. Knight, Bird, Sibley gone. He's not onlu failed to integrate a single player from the academy, he also failed to give any of them more than 1.5 90s (135 minutes) on the pitch. How long will Cashin and Thompson stay for? Brown must be scratching his head wondering why other players get chance after chance when playing badly.

3. Increased last season as is standard during a promotion season. We'll see how attendances go as this season progresses - I don't have a good feeling as things stand.

4. The feel good factor picked up at the end of last season, but already seems to be on a fast decline.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

4. The feel good factor picked up at the end of last season, but already seems to be on a fast decline.

Glad you mentioned that as it was in the back of my mind also.

I was wondering how long the euphoria of the match against Carlisle would take to dissipate and the game tonight has gone a long way to answer that. 

I could be putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but a few weeks back he made a comment that has stuck with me saying how the fans need to stay with the team this season. I don't think this "healthy budget" exists, and I think he knew weeks ago we'd not be able to compete in the transfer window. This isn't a dig at Clowes either the fees being paid for bang average or unproven players is wild.

So for me I agree with some the footballs not great but I also know we've still got a team mainly made up of free's that were brought in for League 1. If he keeps us up on this limited budget with this team he deserves huge credit. 

We're still yet to see what he can do when he's got money that goes for Rotherham and for us.

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Glad you mentioned that as it was in the back of my mind also.

I was wondering how long the euphoria of the match against Carlisle would take to dissipate and the game tonight has gone a long way to answer that. 

Maybe we should go into admin, everyone got behind the team then?

I do worry for Warne at the moment. Goodwill takes years to build up and only moments to lose. It’s not a nightmare start to the season, but that’s two performances from five that are plainly unacceptable and will only sew seeds of doubt.

I think he’s a good manager and I think the criticism he gets is often over the top, but on nights like tonight, he doesn’t really help his cause.

We all know that finances are tight and we all know that recruitment has been challenging and not as fruitful as we’d have hoped. We all know we are in a division where we can only spend 20% of what other clubs can easily afford. It’s not an easy situation to manage, given all the expectations and you do start to wonder whether promotion was a year too soon for the club with the way things have transpired since the end of April.

But on a night like tonight, it’s hard to find any sympathy for anyone. Play your strongest side, get them up for the game, control the game, show your quality, and give detractors a night off.

Now, he and the players go into Saturday under more pressure than is necessary and it was something completely unavoidable.

I reckon that this will spur on Warne to revert to 3 at the back. If he's going to fail, he might as well fail using the formation he prefers. My money is on another centre back signing very soon.

I also wonder if Warne is too picky when looking for centre forwards. We obviously need a target man, but I've heard the manager saying he wants a number 9 to be able to run in behind and press and be a goalscorer. We're just not going to get a tall, strong, super fit, goalscoring, team player who is a wonderful person for £1.85. I think the best we'll get is a hulking great donkey, who will let the wide players do the running.

On 26/08/2024 at 23:28, Ambitious said:

The budget and playing squad appears to be very much bottom 6 in the division by almost ever metric. We are, rightly, expected to be down there this season. Call Clowes’ ownership all you want, ultimately he was the only person willing to ensure we continued being a football club.

Saying that, I understand your view, share the frustration to a point, but this is the reality now. I don’t want to Clowes to feel anymore burdened than he already has. Realistically, unless there is an increased investment then another stint in League One is always possible. 

So If you think relegation is a possibility then what can we do about it ? lets not just accept it and give up !

The league table isn't compiled by how much money you have if you're astute and clever and scout some good young players

Give more money to Warne ? Probably don't have the budget as you say, this is not on Clowes at all but last season has been and gone 

At some point we do have to look at the option of could a different manager get our limited squad playing better and being competitive , we seem to turn up like we are underdogs all of the time and why can't we be braver and try and play more , mix our game up , i want Warne to succeed I like the man but if we don't have the funds etc then we need to look how or what we need to do to make sure we don't go down....relegation is not an option and i still believe without spending money we don't have we can stay in this division, but we can't go into every game thinking we are underdogs 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

At what point for you does the manager take responsibility for anything? because you could just keep going with this until everything that happens on the pitch is because of the players.

He takes responsibility for everything, but he gets the blame at the point he doesn't react when the players fail.

We gave it a go against Blackburn, it failed. Things were changed for Middlesbrough. We won against Middlesbrough. He was well within his rights to try that same thing against Watford, it failed. 

For me a League cup game is treated like a glorified friendly. PW is far from the first DCFC manager to completely fail to progress. I was surprised we bothered to even make a modicum of effort against Chesterfield, feel free to check my post history on that.

If nothing changes on Saturday IE the team selection/setup from Watford (or even worse today!) then PW gets called a daft nincompoop. Not until then.

21st or better remains his target. We are going to lose more then we win this season.

Edited by The Running Man