Paul Warne

Day

I’ve just seen the Derby fan on the Second Tier Podcast saying that Warne will be the first manager sacked we need someone with more tactical nous.

I’m surprised considering I think it would take a lot for Clowes to sack him, not to mention the knock on his ‘tactical nous’ which I personally think is probably one of the best, if not the best we’ve had in decades. He’s not the best coach, so I respect that, but I think in terms of Xs and Os and in-game management that is a knock you can’t have against him. He understands the mechanics of the game extremely well. I’m just surprised by such a lazy, uneducated narrative by someone who says he’s a fan. 

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Listening to Paul Warne , post-match today, he sounded like he was making a plea to Rams fans . He said the team “ NEED the fans to back them”. Saying there will be losses but to stick with them. We have to be patient is the call. 

He might have been better to just say 'fans need to be realistic and manage expectations'. Then again, that's not what some folk want to hear.....

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I’ve just seen the Derby fan on the Second Tier Podcast saying that Warne will be the first manager sacked we need someone with more tactical nous.

I’m surprised considering I think it would take a lot for Clowes to sack him, not to mention the knock on his ‘tactical nous’ which I personally think is probably one of the best, if not the best we’ve had in decades. He’s not the best coach, so I respect that, but I think in terms of Xs and Os and in-game management that is a knock you can’t have against him. He understands the mechanics of the game extremely well. I’m just surprised by such a lazy, uneducated narrative by someone who says he’s a fan. 

A pair of click bait idiots who have built a following despite either actually knowing or pretending to know absolutely nothing about football. 

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

A pair of click bait idiots who have built a following despite either actually knowing or pretending to know absolutely nothing about football. 

The thing with social media is, the more wrong you are, the more interactions you get. Their awful takes must be an act because I don’t see how you can run a podcast centred around football as your living, whilst knowing absolutely nothing about football.

8 minutes ago, europia said:

He might have been better to just say 'fans need to be realistic and manage expectations'. Then again, that's not what some folk want to hear.....

Exactly, but the trouble is that for the last 12 months we've been programmed to believe that anything other than a win is a bad result. Last season we averaged 2 points per game, this season just over 1 point per game will see us stay up, which must be our minimum target.

40 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Diverting responsibility? When did he say that? Isn't he just asking the fans to support through thick and thin?

Are supporters entitled to success because they are paying an average of £17+ to watch each game? I would like to think that fair-minded fans will have noticed that we're in a higher league, don't have the benefit of parachute payments and generally are playing catch-up after re-bounding from the edge of administration.

The Club continues to have my support. I suspect there will be dark times in coming months. Hopefully, those of us who are realistic enough to realise that we're unlikely to win every game will enjoy the season slightly more than those that think the opposite.

Another ridiculous, OTT, uppity and wholly indignant overreaction to a pretty simple comment.

f*** me does any and every perceived negative comment have to be met with righteous defence as if someone's s******* in mouths of all things holy?

I was responding to the poster who said 'good luck with that', not Warne's comment. Warne's message is fine, using it to throw shade at other posters/fans isn't.

The way any dissenting or doubtful voices are positioned as 'the enemy' is bloody annoying.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

not to mention the knock on his ‘tactical nous’ which I personally think is probably one of the best, if not the best we’ve had in decades

I agree with him to an extent and wouldn't say he's anywhere near being the best we've had in decades. I think the mental and emotional intelligence side of his management is second to none, but we can improve so much tactically. 

On 30/06/2024 at 23:00, Carl Sagan said:

This is some strange new meaning of the term "good news" of which I was not previously aware. For me that's abject failure.

Yes, but as an abject failure it was a roaring success!

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Clowes should get everyone gathered in the auditorium at Moor Farm and play clips like that before Friday’s game. 

I hope Warne and the players have a fire lit under them. If I was in the dressing room, I’d be raring to go. Personally I am desperate for us to have a really positive season and make some people eat humble pie.

The level to which the likes of Plymouth, Oxford and ourselves have been written off is staggering.

53 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Diverting responsibility? When did he say that? Isn't he just asking the fans to support through thick and thin?

Are supporters entitled to success because they are paying an average of £17+ to watch each game? I would like to think that fair-minded fans will have noticed that we're in a higher league, don't have the benefit of parachute payments and generally are playing catch-up after re-bounding from the edge of administration.

The Club continues to have my support. I suspect there will be dark times in coming months. Hopefully, those of us who are realistic enough to realise that we're unlikely to win every game will enjoy the season slightly more than those that think the opposite.

The best response is "You and the players do your job, we'll do ours, and we are already on it, Paul"!

6 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I agree with him to an extent and wouldn't say he's anywhere near being the best we've had in decades. I think the mental and emotional intelligence side of his management is second to none, but we can improve so much tactically. 

I didn't notice any particular change in style today.

Still the splitting of the center backs and knocking it sideways between them and then putting it down the wing seemed to be our main initial tactic, with a striker who didn't have a sniff first half.

Both NML and Barks both looked quite lively today though and had some joy.

The main difference was when we turned possession over, we were much better at getting it back again. Osborn is 'right place right time'steady. Kenzo was able to hold onto the ball and happy to work to get it back too. Ozoh took the ball and drove with it and also held players off.

So instead of the opposition running through our midfield we looked solid, plus offensively we seemed more likely to create pressure.

33 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Really? I genuinely think tactically Warne is excellent. I would put him alongside Billy Davies as the best tactical managers we’ve had since our relegation in 2002.

McClaren was a better coach, as was Cocu and Rosenior, but tactically Warne is better than all three. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Really? I genuinely think tactically Warne is excellent. I would put him alongside Billy Davies as the best tactical managers we’ve had since our relegation in 2002.

McClaren was a better coach, as was Cocu and Rosenior, but tactically Warne is better than all three. 

I'm surprised that you're surprised.....

That's a hot-take you're making.

Man management,  team building, winning mentality,  finess ....desire.., knowledge of the opposition...

But tactically I'd say he 'appears' fairly rudimentary. 

I think some of the harsher 'hoof ball' criticism was unfounded. However, to my mind we weren't overly creative in a weak League and did win a lot of games with a bit of magic and eg then bringing on Bradley.  

36 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Tactically McClaren was a million miles from Warne.  He made 3 changes in the Brighton away match in the play off away game, most noticeably stopping their fullback Bruno, which got us a result for example.  That's my opinion on it anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I'm surprised that you're surprised.....

That's a hot-take you're making.

Man management,  team building, winning mentality,  finess ....desire.., knowledge of the opposition...

But tactically I'd say he 'appears' fairly rudimentary. 

I think some of the harsher 'hoof ball' criticism was unfounded. However, to my mind we weren't overly creative in a weak League and did win a lot of games with a bit of magic and eg then bringing on Bradley.  

Tactical work doesn’t necessarily relate to creativity, though. At least to my understanding.

I’d focus more on the out of possession shape, the ability to create overloads and the misdirection in attacking movements to create favourable situations. He asks a lot of his players in terms of playing forward quickly and to be aware of where the opposition shape has broken down. I feel the ‘hoof ball’ nonsense was in relation because he puts emphasis on moving the ball quickly forward to benefit from the offensive side being out of shape - usually involves difficult, off the cuff movements and understandings from players that can lead to bad passes and look disjointed. 

I would say he understands the mechanics of football incredibly well, often benefiting from his in-game adjustments and would say that was largely the reason we finished second last season.

Bolton were a better coached team, Peterborough had more talent. The difference we had was Warne’s tactical ability and utilising that to make technically gifted players like Bird & Nat more impactful. If you swap Warne for Evatt or Ferguson, I suspect you also swap the team that finishes second. 

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Tactically McClaren was a million miles from Warne.  He made 3 changes in the Brighton away match in the play off away game, most noticeably stopping their fullback Bruno, which got us a result for example.  That's my opinion on it anyway. 

I would agree, but feel that McClaren struggled to adjust at times through injuries or otherwise. He coached a very good game. The best coach we’ve had in my lifetime, but I remember games where it would literally take the striker to sit on our defensive midfielder and it would cause us fits. 

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It’s all about driving engagement which for them means money. Derby have a big fan base so putting up a negative article will get a bigger reaction. I don’t think thier knowledge of football is any better than people who go to games and post on message boards. Gab Sutton is the same who revels in being a EFL “expert” Look at his league table predictions for this season there will always be something controversial in these to drive engagement and for him it drives customers to bet victor who he writes for so the more money punters lose on his tips the more money he makes

i tend to ignore them and their ilk

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I agree but unfortunately, for many, tactics seem to be “Play 433” and then when that doesn’t work, accuse the manager of having no plan B. Meanwhile a manager who tries different variations gets accused of not knowing what formation he prefers.

In reality, I think it’s somewhere in the middle. Warne knows what he wants, but doesn’t always have the players with the right attributes, so he tries variations of it. He’s also not - in my very uneducated opinion - particularly good at making substitutions to counter the opposition manager’s in game formation changes. 

I’m looking forward to what this season brings, but settings my sights on lower mid table as a reasonable outcome. Never really flirting with relegation but a long way from the playoffs.