Paul Warne

Day

1 minute ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I still have a big smile on my face and remember listening to a few middle aged men coming out of the Lincoln City ground after a well earned 0-0 away point.

Giving it “Well that’s top 2 gone, we will be lucky to make top 6……..” and then having to hold my tongue listening to another middle aged man in the row behind me throughout the final game against Carlisle Utd moan and groan with one of his best comments being “Derby your bl00dy rubbish get into these” as our players held their positions and controlled the game into another 2-0 win and victory.

I hope he left 10 minutes early to beat the traffic and moan all the way home before moaning at his wife and kids because Derby had the audacity to get promoted!

If you can’t enjoy the good times what’s the point…..a good away point at Lincoln City perhaps!!!!

🐏 🔵 🟢 

🖤 Love David Clowes 🖤

🖤 Love Paul Warne 🖤

🖤 Love Derby County 🖤

I wasn’t that man but I’ve groaned with the best of them during the season. I’ve never shouted anyone was rubbish though.

At times, it was a bit like watching your children in an awful school play, being generally supportive but not entertained 😊

Throughout it all, I appreciated that the team was always giving its all. Sometimes in games, nothing ‘clicks’

League One is a tough old division and teams battle hard. That’s why it’s such a relief to have escaped.

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I wasn’t that man but I’ve groaned with the best of them during the season. I’ve never shouted anyone was rubbish though.

At times, it was a bit like watching your children in an awful school play, being generally supportive but not entertained 😊

Throughout it all, I appreciated that the team was always giving its all. Sometimes in games, nothing ‘clicks’

League One is a tough old division and teams battle hard. That’s why it’s such a relief to have escaped.

Looking at just the league table its been an amazing year by any reckoning. Amassing 92 points, securing a record number of away wins etc. Pompey had to come up with something pretty special to beat that. And yet, it seems weird how there is still a feeling that there were so many unnecessary points that we seemed to drop. Obviously, that's just the way it goes and you can't win every game but in amongst the excellent wins, there were definitely a decent number of soft points dropped.

Just glancing down the results list - failure to see a poor Cambridge off at home, conceding a gutting late equaliser vs Pompey, really poor official decisions at Bolton, drawing at Cheltenham who hadn't scored in 12 games, conceding a 98th minute penalty equaliser against bloody Wycombe, the late collapse at home against Peterborough from leading the game at 84 mins to losing it, chucking away a lead at home to Charlton to leave empty handed, conceding 87th minute equaliser against Shrewsbury at home. You then realise how many points we could have actually ended up with - well North of 100 which would have been truly remarkable by any means !! 😃

Sure, there were times when I'd loved to have seen a bit more swagger and flair but by any standards, the relentless points accumulation was hugely impressive, and ultimately it simply broke the spirit of the chasing pack. PW and the lads earned that.

I'm really excited to see what PW can do for us back in the champ with no restrictions. If you're a Prem manager with a potential young gem, PW is just the man you'd want to send them out on loan to. How he is as a person and a manager, the togetherness he's created with our team, add into that our facilities and attendances we'll attract some good young players this summer. 

4 hours ago, YouRams said:

I'm really excited to see what PW can do for us back in the champ with no restrictions. If you're a Prem manager with a potential young gem, PW is just the man you'd want to send them out on loan to. How he is as a person and a manager, the togetherness he's created with our team, add into that our facilities and attendances we'll attract some good young players this summer. 

He'll have restrictions.DC is going to set a budget and he will have to work within it.

5 hours ago, YouRams said:

I think that it's unlikely that we'll get any young keepers or defenders on loan from Premier teams as they all seem to favour this crazy playing out from the back at all costs system.

Liverpool, last night were cruising to victory until they starting messing about a the back and got caught, it seems that every week on Match of the Day, you see goals conceded or should be conceded by teams playing around at the back. LR insisted on this practice which was the reason that I was happy for him to go.

15 hours ago, ram59 said:

I think that it's unlikely that we'll get any young keepers or defenders on loan from Premier teams as they all seem to favour this crazy playing out from the back at all costs system.

Liverpool, last night were cruising to victory until they starting messing about a the back and got caught, it seems that every week on Match of the Day, you see goals conceded or should be conceded by teams playing around at the back. LR insisted on this practice which was the reason that I was happy for him to go.

So you are saying the best teams in the land play out from the back?   Yes thank God we don't do that. 

2 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

So you are saying the best teams in the land play out from the back?   Yes thank God we don't do that. 

Problem comes when teams and managers get obsessed with it ,, there’s a time and place for it no doubt but doing it to death is daft , watched spurs last night absolutely gift wrap a chance for city ( which they missed ) and put themselves under huge pressure needlessly time and again 

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Problem comes when teams and managers get obsessed with it ,, there’s a time and place for it no doubt but doing it to death is daft , watched spurs last night absolutely gift wrap a chance for city ( which they missed ) and put themselves under huge pressure needlessly time and again 

The logic of controlling the ball from the back is all well and good and there is something to be said for drawing the opposition on to you to then suddenly going through the gears with snappy passing and bypassing them, and if your defence have the first touch of a Man City defender then all well and good but doing it at all costs in all situations is inviting trouble, particularly with a Champ/League 1 squad.

There is a perception that this is how football is played these days, and it may well be at the upper levels level, but you need every player to be calm and comfortable on the ball and their team mates to be mobile and creating space and actively wanting the ball. If nobody shows for the ball then a pass gets delayed and your defender gets closed down and mugged and you concede a goal and your defence and keeper look like chumps.

At this stage in the process of (hopefully) rebuilding a quality side, I would rather that we were pragmatic and mixed it up. If the opposition are all over us and closing us down and are forcing errors then sometimes you just have to be a bit cannier and mix it up with some balls down the channels or whatever. A high energy hard-pressing game is hard work and if that's what the opposition are doing then you should get more opportunities later but I don't see the point of playing to 'pure' football principles in every situation if the opposition are just going to force error after error because of the quality of their press and/or the limitations of your defenders. We'll face some ruthless forwards this year compared to last and you can't just constantly gift opportunities by over-playing.

Posted (edited)

I think the only real issue with playing out from the back is that you need technical footballers, 1 through 11, to do it well. Even Ederson in goal can play the intricate stuff on the floor and that ability is a significant part of the reason Man City are as good as they are. Quite perilous though as you step up the ladder, playing against teams who can press tighter and faster than you're used to. 

I'd personally like to see us play from the back as the default, but we'd need to apply a little common sense too. Wildsmith is not the best with ball at feet, so I think an 'if in doubt' policy of sticking it wide and long wouldn't be the end of the world when needs must.

Edited by Comrade 86

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Exactly. I think that, eventually this season, we struck a good balance. Wildsmith was firmly waving the defence upfield when it was clear that playing it out from the back was getting dangerous.

Burnley screwed themselves so many times this season by making mistakes when trying to play out. Coaching players to judge for themselves when it's right to abandon a risky tactic is all too often neglected it seems.

1 hour ago, trappatoni said:

I watched Crawley absolutely destroy MK Dons the other night by passing out from the back, MK didn't have the where with all to combat this, Playing this possession game in league 2 goes against all the morals of physical football 😉

I hope to see this again at Wembley when playing on a bigger pitch against Crewe, If all players are signed onto this tactic the opposition had better employ Blitzkrieg 😬

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I watched Crawley absolutely destroy MK Dons the other night by passing out from the back, MK didn't have the where with all to combat this, Playing this possession game in league 2 goes against all the morals of physical football 😉

I hope to see this again at Wembley when playing on a bigger pitch against Crewe, If all players are signed onto this tactic the opposition had better employ Blitzkrieg 😬

It’s all a bit cat and mouse but whatever you employ needs all the team to be on the same page , be well drilled and actually talk to each other , teams can drop a bit deeper and leave no space behind or in between the lines and let sides and certain players in sides have the ball where it doesn’t hurt them , saw us do that in quite a few games this season and get the result , 

there’s a place for all types of football and for me I don’t mind too much as long as whatever you do you do it well and it makes for interesting games when you see different styles battle it out

19 hours ago, ram59 said:

It is a system adopted by most of the top teams.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Why would most players good enough to play at league 1 and 2 level be necessarily prone to poverty and have to turn to football as their only way to avoid it?

Because at a very early age they set their minds on playing for England and everything else goes out of the window. And if they’re still stuck in leagues 1/2 then - unlike those in the championship and above - football has not made them wealthy 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It is a system adopted by most of the top teams.

For now ,,, teams and managers will get better at negating it , it’s a bit like fashion , things go around and come around , even city are making subtle changes 

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’d say most in league 1 and 2 do it because it’s their only way out of poverty 

19 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Because at a very early age they set their minds on playing for England and everything else goes out of the window. And if they’re still stuck in leagues 1/2 then - unlike those in the championship and above - football has not made them wealthy 

What is the socio-economic background, educational acumen, and aspirations of “most” league one and two footballers? Where did you find this information?