Paul Warne

Day

Warne and the players have 11-14 games to get things right. Clowes will be concerned about back to back losses but ultimately he will assess the situation at the end of the season when we know what division we’ll be in, so really so should we as a fanbase.

It’s not going to be helpful to do it any sooner. It’s crunch time. We all need to be pulling in the same direction, not getting the knives out after every less than perfect result. People talk about the club being short termist, yet where the manager’s future is concerned, many of our fans are the same.

Clearly Warne and the players are feeling the pressure, and need our support to get the job done. Instead, if last night is anything to go by, the players and the manager will be dragged over the coals. 

People believe we have the best squad in the division and should be achieving more, but it doesn’t really add up. This is a League 1 group of players with the kind of limitations that are rampant at this level. Players don’t make the mistakes ours do and switch off in the way ours do with the same regularity in the Championship and above. 

Portsmouth have set the pace and led the way since early on and look fully deserving of promotion. We need to step up and show we deserve it too. If we don’t, Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough will definitely oblige.

Last night was a worry but we have to believe while it’s still possible.

Here's a thought..late February and Mendez Laing runs out of steam...deja vu or what???

Another is ...how many injuries due to over running the players??

And the biggest was when he said ..Chris Martin wasn't his type of player...and yet a class player who can look after himself and score goals is exactly the type we need!

2 minutes ago, valakari said:

Here's a thought..late February and Mendez Laing runs out of steam...deja vu or what???

And the biggest was when he said ..Chris Martin wasn't his type of player...and yet a class player who can look after himself and score goals is exactly the type we need!

Prime fat Ronaldo wouldn't score goals in that team last night. Give over about ancient fat Martin.

Cheers up everyone, February is nearly over.

Mr Hat has been securing some extra mercury to rub into PWs scalp.

The cheeky chappy joke writers have been given additional incentives to improve moral.

5 at the back is only temporary until Mr Hat can devise a 6 at the back formation.

This week's video session is the John smiths advert where the bloke kicks the ball over the fence and says "have it" on repeat.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

You can count on one hand the games we’ve actually really dominated this season. It’s not good enough. 

This turgid approach to football will see us finish rock bottom of the championship next year even if we do manage to drag ourselves across the line because ultimately we won’t be able to rely on having better players. 

I don’t really know what to say to this. To my mind, it seems very dramatic. Were we ever likely to dominate many games in league 1 where everyone is pretty gash? We have the second best goal difference in the league which does suggest we’ve been dominant relative to the league. What exactly do you think will happen if we replace Warne? We win every game from now until the end of the season 3-0?

If we do go up, I don’t doubt next season will be poor because, as you say, we will have worse players. We will probably finish in the bottom half. That’s what happens when you have worse players. 

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Warne and the players have 11-14 games to get things right. Clowes will be concerned about back to back losses but ultimately he will assess the situation at the end of the season when we know what division we’ll be in, so really so should we as a fanbase.

It’s not going to be helpful to do it any sooner. It’s crunch time. We all need to be pulling in the same direction, not getting the knives out after every less than perfect result. People talk about the club being short termist, yet where the manager’s future is concerned, many of our fans are the same.

Clearly Warne and the players are feeling the pressure, and need our support to get the job done. Instead, if last night is anything to go by, the players and the manager will be dragged over the coals. 

People believe we have the best squad in the division and should be achieving more, but it doesn’t really add up. This is a League 1 group of players with the kind of limitations that are rampant at this level. Players don’t make the mistakes ours do and switch off in the way ours do with the same regularity in the Championship and above. 

Portsmouth have set the pace and led the way since early on and look fully deserving of promotion. We need to step up and show we deserve it too. If we don’t, Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough will definitely oblige.

It's easy to criticise fans and say they should just put up with the turgid football served when you don't actually attend the games. 

9 hours ago, The Running Man said:

I've switched opinions after this game. Something needs to change:

It's too late in the season to change the players. The manager wont change the tactics, so it's time to change the manager.

We're walking into another season in League 1 and I think everyone can see it. If there's people out there who think that's acceptable then I'm not going to argue with them, but just state my opinion: I can't see us gong anywhere like this. We're second by virtue of Barnsley and Boltons inadequacies, not our own strength.

100% this. We have a squad of players and many of them don't know where they'll be playing next season. Will our manager want to keep them, will they want to stay? Who will be recruited and who might come through from the Academy?

Do we as a Club want those decisions to be down to Warne and his horrible approach to football? It's not too late to change, it's better to do it now in a way, a new manager would have chance to change the way these players are sent out, although who knows how they were sent out in the second half last night! 

I have no confidence that Warne will get us over the line, especially after the end of last season.

Edited by RoyMac5

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We're not the ones out on the pitch! I thought the crowd sounded well up for it last night. That's how it sounded anyway.

The players are sent out and set up in such a way that you have no idea how good they really are! Look how Warne made Jason Knight look last season, fans were saying he was rubbish! 😄

There's a reason we look an ordinary League 1 team, that is how we are set up and managed!

19 minutes ago, valakari said:

Agree with that, although Martin wouldn’t come back up here. He’s nicely settled in Bristol with the woman he cheated on his wife and left his kids for.  

7 minutes ago, Jram said:

I don’t really know what to say to this. To my mind, it seems very dramatic. Were we ever likely to dominate many games in league 1 where everyone is pretty gash? We have the second best goal difference in the league which does suggest we’ve been dominant relative to the league. What exactly do you think will happen if we replace Warne? We win every game from now until the end of the season 3-0?

If we do go up, I don’t doubt next season will be poor because, as you say, we will have worse players. We will probably finish in the bottom half. That’s what happens when you have worse players. 

Next season we will have worse players is the depressing statement and the better players of a football are leaving or wanted away from Warneball  for whatever reason given - McGoldrick to Notts county in a league below, Knight and Bird to Bristol city for goodness sake whilst NML has kept us away from the bottom half of this league of dreadful non football 

21 minutes ago, valakari said:

We should have got Chris Martin someone to hold the ball up , win free kicks ,defend corners, score from free kicks , someone who could physically take on centre half's. 

Warne as gone for someone opposite to Collins totally pathetic decision. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's easy to criticise fans and say they should just put up with the turgid football served when you don't actually attend the games. 

I attend the games when I can. I watch the games on TV when I can. Everyone has different circumstances. But nice attempt at point scoring.

50 games a year or 5 games a year, it wouldn’t change my current opinion that fans need to stick with the manager and the team.

8 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Last season I would agree with you regarding the chaos, there seemed little plan other than run about a lot. Loads of gaping holes and no plan other than give it to Didzy.

This season I completely agree with others, we've not played well consistently in a way that I would want to see us play, it's been mostly percentages. More often than not though, we've looked more solid and less chaotic. We have find ways to win by changing things up to suit situations.

Don't want anyone to misunderstand me, I am not enjoying it but the primary objective is get out of the league and we're broadly on track.

That's why I say pragmatic. We've delivered functional performances relatively consistently to accumulate enough points.

Whether that works long term remains to be seen. If we get promoted I can see us grinding it out sufficiently well to stay in the championship. Will it be pretty? Probably not but again I would think it would be enough to accumulate enough points to stay up.

There's loads and loads I want to see us doing differently/better but on the primary objective of getting out of the league it's difficult to argue he's not fulfilling the brief at this point.

If we don't get promoted then I think we need to think very seriously about the longer term plan and whether Warne is the right man to rebuild and take on that project.

The main objection I have is people clamouring for his removal at this point.

Pragmatic would be getting the best out of your (supposedly) limited resources. Warne doesn't do that he sends a team out to, as he sees it. counter the opposition and hopes to get the best out of the players where-ever it is he plays them.

Why did Cashin start at left back and not Sibley who we know can play there? That would have been pragmatic. Instead we have to set up a formation to allow Bradley to play in a 3 at the back, why? That isn't pragmatic when we have played better playing a four of Nyambe Nelson Cashin and Fozzy/Sibley/Elder.

It isn't pragmatism at all.

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You think the manager might do something about that? 😄

In reality Roy he's only part of the issue admittedly a fare wedge 👍, The players have to hold their hands up too, I'm no PW cheerleader nor am I a PW outer, The players in this squad should be better for the division we're in...but there's something amiss, It's either PW aint what we were led to believe or the players just aint fussed.

There's a good chunk of the squad out of contract this summer, Maybe words have been said at Moor Farm that indicates their time here is almost up, There's players here who are playing one week then...puff like magic they disappear, Some are picked over others, Some are played out of position, Some are constantly injured, Some are favourites.

I'm out of the tent pissing in so looking from outside, I don't go, I don't watch them on Rams TV but I follow on here, I look at this squad and think 🙄, As the manager results and performances are down to him and if we fail he fails.

I'm more concerned about his comment last night..."we've not been playing well all season" 🤷‍♂️ a very strange comment to make...imo

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Pragmatic would be getting the best out of your (supposedly) limited resources. Warne doesn't do that he sends a team out to, as he sees it. counter the opposition and hopes to get the best out of the players where-ever it is he plays them.

Why did Cashin start at left back and not Sibley who we know can play there? That would have been pragmatic. Instead we have to set up a formation to allow Bradley to play in a 3 at the back, why? That isn't pragmatic when we have played better playing a four of Nyambe Nelson Cashin and Fozzy/Sibley/Elder.

It isn't pragmatism at all.

Mate it’s all to play for still .

Warne can’t legislate against a goalkeeper error of the highest order 

3 minutes ago, tinman said:

Agree with that, although Martin wouldn’t come back up here. He’s nicely settled in Bristol with the woman he cheated on his wife and left his kids for.  

He went to QPR on loan last season so that’s not true, our manager openly stated that he didn’t want players like Martin when asked because he wants one that run around a lot and are good chaps and make him a coffee. Why would he want a Chris Martin who has demonstrated the highest goals ratio to minutes played in this league and controls the football and lays it off to others making forward midfield runs - but then again our midfielders aren’t allowed to do that.

2 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

In reality Roy he's only part of the issue admittedly a fare wedge 👍, The players have to hold their hands up too, I'm no PW cheerleader nor am I a PW outer, The players in this squad should be better for the division we're in...but there's something amiss, It's either PW aint what we were led to believe or the players just aint fussed.

There's a good chunk of the squad out of contract this summer, Maybe words have been said at Moor Farm that indicates their time here is almost up, There's players here who are playing one week then...puff like magic they disappear, Some are picked over others, Some are played out of position, Some are constantly injured, Some are favourites.

I'm out of the tent pissing in so looking from outside, I don't go, I don't watch them on Rams TV but I follow on here, I look at this squad and think 🙄, As the manager results and performances are down to him and if we fail he fails.

I'm more concerned about his comment last night..."we've not been playing well all season" 🤷‍♂️ a very strange comment to make...imo

What did we end up with on the pitch last night? NML, Wilson, Barks, CBT and Sibs (out wide-ish) how is that the players fault when they are obviously sent out to 'be on the grass' with no idea of how to play?!

Realistically, David Clowes is not going to be sacking Paul Warne before the 27th April.

No matter how poor the football has been, and now recently results too, we are still second. Barnsley & Bolton have games in hand (against each other), but as it stands we’re second because we’ve won more points than all but 1 of the teams in our league this season.

I don’t think Warne is the long term answer, and if we don’t go up this season then that’s the point I would expect the change.

I personally don’t see the benefit of turning against the manager and the team at this stage when all it’s going to do is hinder the team further. It might not be very pretty but we can still get out of this league, and right now I think that’s the most important thing.