Collins not everyone's favourite.

Ramfan1958

10 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Just a little point of contention concerning JC continually being caught offside, Now I've not witnessed this as I neither go to PP or watch on RTV only read it on here, Has anyone ever thought that the reason he's offside is because the player with the ball holds on to it just that little to long...just a thought 🤷‍♂️

No, it isn't that. Often he's coming back into play to make a challenge, or his starting position is just wrong. Players will now know they can catch him offside easily so it's probably happening more often. Much would be solved if he made more of an effort to get back onside quickly before thinking about joining back in with play. 

He needs to get it sorted because its unnecessary and disruptive.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Just a little point of contention concerning JC continually being caught offside, Now I've not witnessed this as I neither go to PP or watch on RTV only read it on here, Has anyone ever thought that the reason he's offside is because the player with the ball holds on to it just that little to long...just a thought 🤷‍♂️

doesn't warne always say something like get it forward as quick as possible though ?

it's one of the reasons we have such little possession and struggle to control games

When I started coming to matches again in November, Collins was the player that stood out for me. There was a good run of decent football, but then it feels like the whole team has got a bit lost. Collins is getting goals in but his performance isn’t standing out as it was a few months ago. I like him though and think his dedication is a good example to some of the younger players. 

I reckon one of the reasons people have had it in for James Collins is that last season, and the first part of this on, despite lumping the ball across the area being our only game plan, and despite us only playing one striker, Collins was regularly not in the area, especially the 6-yard box, often being found out on the wing. Post Stevenage, when we went on that improved run he started being in the right place at the right time more often which has really helped his game, and it coincided with his increased scoring rate. He still goes foraging out on the wing, but that tends to be when we are in build-up stage. Whether it is because the team began playing through the middle a bit more, and put more crosses in at ground or waist level I don't know, but kudos to him because his football has improved greatly. And the reward is that he is no longer the target of our blame, and is instead becoming much more of a favourite. Good for him!

4 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Don’t think so it is to anyone holding on to the ball. He’s slow and always have to be at least level with his marker to get a chance of getting there first,if the ball is not played to his feet. Unfortunately level often means half a year offside.this being said he’s scored a few so we’ll have to with this.

If we need a striker to score goals in the Championsip next season - Look no further than old boy Whitaker who is joint top scorer in the Champ with 17 . Playing in an average team and scores from all over the shop . Collins would find it hard in that league .

On 14/02/2024 at 00:08, bimmerman said:

Part of our fan base still doesn't like Chris Martin for some reason either. That's the beauty of football, it's opinions 

Chris Martin was and I say WAS brilliant. But there are things you just have to let go. He has had his time.

17 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

He's the kind of player I would loathe if he was playing against us - a scrappy, fighty, argumentative sod who throws his weight around and bullies defenders - and I didn't take to him at first. He's often offside and, while his willingness to close down is to be commended, he often charges in, misses the tackle, and leaves a big gap behind himself. But what he lacks in technical ability he more than makes up for with work-rate, stamina, strength, and determination. And, dammit, he has scored regularly enough to justify himself. A number of great headers and that fantastic scissor-kick. I'd love it if he got to 20 league goals.

Yeah that scissor kick that lacked any technical ability eh?

16 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Not true

image.png.d1e0725dc3d9d16a05adef71b6092e7e.png

I am with the original poster. No one can give 110%. I would suggest that anyone who gives 100% for short periods as it is not sustainable are only giving 90% or less most of the time. Currently typing this at 100%, can't go any quicker.

6 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Chris Martin was and I say WAS brilliant. But there are things you just have to let go. He has had his time.

He has had his time at Derby, but he's still having his time elsewhere. Martin never had much pace to lose, but he still has his skill and intelligence and I can see him doing a job in the lower leagues for a few more years yet. A manager playing him to his strengths will be well rewarded.