Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

12 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

The other factors being that you don’t like Warne?

Yep it’s interesting that the poster minimise mcg under warne and perhaps nml by saying his goals per game was better than his best career season under warne when mcg dropped down before yet we have heard consistently how warne beasts his players and causes time out injured , well he got a tune out of mc g and is doing the same with nml , 

I just wish certain posters would give warne a fair crack of the whip , everything bad is because of him , everything good in spite of him is the default of some 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Something happened early in the first half, it was in the bottom right corner of the screen so wasn’t the focus of the camera but Adams was squaring up to one of their players, he seemed livid and Bird (I think) stepped in to calm him down. Wonder if something unpleasant was said to him, pure speculation on my part, but he was riled and they’ve been getting at him ever since.

Adam’s was shielding the ball out of play, their player barged him squarely in the back and knocked him flying, the referee was looking the other way.

5 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Adam’s was shielding the ball out of play, their player barged him squarely in the back and knocked him flying, the referee was looking the other way.

Probably a Building Inspector in his day job.

I don't think anyone has picked up on the position of the free kick in the Cashin incident.

Cashin fouls their player quite a long way from our goal, right on the line where the grass cutting changes. However, the ref gives them a free kick in a position nearly 2 grass cuttings closer to our goal. Assuming the cutting stripes are 5 or 6 yards each, this is 8 to 10 yards closer to our goal and well within range of a direct shot.

Fortunately, it came to nothing, but I was fuming at the time.

9 minutes ago, Taribo said:

So what you’re saying is we need to bring Chris Martin home? 

Great lay off for Thomas goal and a great anticipation for his goal as well, disrupting that Stevenage defence all over the place 

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think that ship's sailed, but he seems to have been given a new lease of life at Rovers.

That ship probably has sailed but it should have even seriously considered because the standards are so much lower in this league and good players can still shine brightly 

13 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Glad I wasn’t imagining things as no one else seems to have seen it 🤣 

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Richie Barker saying on radio Derby that CBT felt his hamstring tighten so that’s why he was subbed off at half time. 

Yeah he was playing a bit like he wasn’t 100% so wasn’t surprised he was taken off at half time. 

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah the better side if the idea of the game was about pointless passing, which some people seem to think it is.

The better side scored 3 goals and conceded 0 as us old fashioned people still believe is the idea of the game.

Cant see that sort of plan catching on.

More crucial passes and xG is a much better plan.

Why is it so controversial to acknowledge that Exeter knock it about really well and were playing the better football?

Our higher quality showed over the 90 but imagine what it’d look like if they had our squad/budget and were coached to play football like that? 

We played really well on the break. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Watched on rtv and really enjoyed what I thought was going to be a tough game , Exeter looked pretty in all but the final third ( were we happy to allow that ?) but it quickly became men against boys , great result from a solid performance and we are right in the mix for top two

Yes - we set up to allow them the ball and then put the press on to force mistakes and create counter attack opportunities - worked a treat - and even allowed NML to take shots at the local’s windows!! 😂

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah the better side if the idea of the game was about pointless passing, which some people seem to think it is.

The better side scored 3 goals and conceded 0 as us old fashioned people still believe is the idea of the game.

Cant see that sort of plan catching o

There's more than one way to skin a cat

image.png.e369fed95186fdb9a9dcf4fea089c919.png

11 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Different team away from home recently , and Bird has shown what he can do now he has got his move .

No. He is showing what he can do now that Warne is starting to use midfield more, and enabling Bird to play to his strengths. Having a 2-man midfield and then by-passing it was never going to be good for midfield footballers.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Exeter gave a really good account of themselves. They played some nice passing football, kept us on the back foot for large spells but never capitalised at any point. They are so very evidently a young side with a lot to learn. A more streetwise team would have run us ragged tonight.

Listen to Barkers post match interview, We had a plan, Even talking in the hotel leading up to the game, What is this master plan...to let them have the ball and we press, Would we have let a more streetwise team "run us ragged"?...over to you coach.

I've not read your views of the game, but as an Exeter fan I was pleased with the way we played last night. I thought we took the game to you, we looked confident, passed the ball well and carved out some good opportunities to potentially score, without really looking like scoring very often (a few shots on target, hit the post once, but you defended really well and I don't think we 'deserved' to score many).

Overall, it looked to me like a good tactical game between two defensively strong sides who had set up well, just that one side scored 3 goals, pretty much against the run of play (certainly against the run of possession). In other words, it was a very clear 0-0 game if you exclude your goals 😉

I know a load of Derby fans and they've all been saying that you've been flattering to deceive this season, even when you've been winning. But I didn't see a team like that last night, I saw a solid team, great shape when out of possession and players who can hurt teams on the break (which you did). Despite all the stats, I thought you deserved your win. You made it very difficult for us to score and then delivered the goods when you had the chance, albeit your first goal was a good shot but also a bit of a fluke with the bounce it took, taking it over the keeper who had it covered. Oh well, them's the breaks, you make your own luck in football, if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle, etc.

I thought your fans were quieter than last season when there weren't as many of you. Saw you bouncing occasionally and heard you after you scored, but strangely quiet in the second half even though you were 3-0 up, maybe it was the dominance of our possession that strangled your voices? We were quiet too, which is how I know you were quiet 😉

Also weird that you sold 1,350 tickets (I think) but only 1,100 of you turned up - what's that about?

Anyway, I took a small video clip of you lot from our bank opposite your end, but your website wouldn't let me load it up, said the file was too big. Good luck for the rest of the season, I hope you go up in the autos, this season's league is the poorest for a while, if you don't go up this year you'll regret it when you see who is coming down / up from the leagues above / below. 

9 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Again, only seeing it from one side.

The 3 fouls were fouls, he didn't give the multiple that Collins should have been done for, did a wrestling move on harper at one point, how he wasn't even booked for doing a stone cold stunner ill never know(he smashed it though, pulled it off flawlessly) . Didn't give the city penalty that was a penalty, he clearly was giving nothing to either team unless it was stonewall which is fair enough. NML got booked for kicking the ball away then dissent afterwards. Cashin should have been off, was the last man, booked him instead.

Swings and roundabouts. 

Cashin wasn’t the last man, I think it was Nelson was already moving in on the Exeter player. The ref had his card out before NML asked “what for”, and after having ignored Exeter kicking the ball away twice already. He blanked the foul on Elder, one on Wilson, both of which fairly hefty, and the Adams foul was was his first actual offence. 

My only surprise at away matches is that the refs don’t have “Simpson” as their surname because they are all Homers.

18 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Listen to Barkers post match interview, We had a plan, Even talking in the hotel leading up to the game, What is this master plan...to let them have the ball and we press, Would we have let a more streetwise team "run us ragged"?...over to you coach.

I guess the point is, we weren't playing a more "streetwise" team. 

If the game plan was to allow them to have the lions share of possession, believing they were unlikely to really hurt us, then it worked. 

Perhaps we'll deploy the same tactic at Barnsley, who knows? I was at the Bolton away game and I seem to recall they game us the run around for large parts of the game but we nearly came away with something there (if it hadn't been for the unjust sending off and a heavy deflection for the goal).

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

The other factors being that you don’t like Warne?

Wrong.

Other factors like the experience they've gained from careers played at higher levels, the current quality of opposition they're up against and the standing of their current team within it, the quality (and type) of teammate too because one season you could be playing alongside a greedy b****** who gives you no supply, the next a selfless player.  You can throw in popularity with fans as well, and personal circumstances away from football make a difference too.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Yep it’s interesting that the poster minimise mcg under warne and perhaps nml by saying his goals per game was better than his best career season under warne when mcg dropped down before yet we have heard consistently how warne beasts his players and causes time out injured , well he got a tune out of mc g and is doing the same with nml , 

I just wish certain posters would give warne a fair crack of the whip , everything bad is because of him , everything good in spite of him is the default of some 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's not a fair crack at the whip you want him to be given though, it's for him to be given all the credit for his grandmother's ability to suck eggs.

Nowhere did I say that Warne isn't a contributing factor, but attributing the reason for them having their best directly to Warne is just daft.

Nothing I've posted is unfair on Warne, it's just an assessment based on what I see while holding him to the standards set by his billing, his comments and our aims and objectives.