Where do you think we'll finish this season?

I still think we will get 2nd, going into easter weekend I thought we would get 4 points from Blackpool, Pompey & Wycombe and we have ended up getting 5 points so despite last nights result we are still in a better position than I expected.

I watched Bolton vs Bristol at the weekend & they were dreadful, if they keep playing like that there is no chance of them winning all 4 games. Hopefully Port Vale need something when Bolton play them & Darren Moore can do us a favour.

7 points from our final 3 may still be enough too as that would mean Bolton winning 3 of their 4 games which would mean it going down to goal difference. I see Bolton getting 8 points max.

We will all know more by 5pm Sat, if we win & Bolton drop points its right in our hands and we will all feel more positive.

On 11/04/2024 at 06:03, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

We are still the favourites for second (so say the bookies!!!!)

Keep the faith. It was never going to be straight forward. We wouldn’t love following this club as much if it was. 😀

The bookies don’t see and watch us play each week 😎

On 11/04/2024 at 15:21, DCFC1388 said:

I still think we will get 2nd, going into easter weekend I thought we would get 4 points from Blackpool, Pompey & Wycombe and we have ended up getting 5 points so despite last nights result we are still in a better position than I expected.

I watched Bolton vs Bristol at the weekend & they were dreadful, if they keep playing like that there is no chance of them winning all 4 games. Hopefully Port Vale need something when Bolton play them & Darren Moore can do us a favour.

7 points from our final 3 may still be enough too as that would mean Bolton winning 3 of their 4 games which would mean it going down to goal difference. I see Bolton getting 8 points max.

We will all know more by 5pm Sat, if we win & Bolton drop points its right in our hands and we will all feel more positive.

They might of been dreadful but they still won, we dont

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I see us finishing 3rd. The last 3 games are completely winnable, just like Northampton and Wycombe were.  For some reason we fail to perform against struggling teams when it matters.

Prove me wrong Paul.

The main problem finishing 3rd, is the team going into the play offs with a negative mindset. Would Warney be able to lift them, having been so close, but ultimately failing to clinch an auto spot? Perhaps, the teams finishing 4th 5th or even 6th better placed, psychologically. 

4 minutes ago, europia said:

The main problem finishing 3rd, is the team going into the play offs with a negative mindset. Would Warney be able to lift them, having been so close, but ultimately failing to clinch an auto spot? Perhaps, the teams finishing 4th 5th or even 6th better placed, psychologically. 

Although statistics suggest otherwise, 3rd place wins the play offs more than any other.

8 hours ago, europia said:

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

Although statistics suggest otherwise, 3rd place wins the play offs more than any other.

I guess it depends how and when they finish third.  I wonder if there's stats out there to show how the third place team do after dropping there at the final hurdle!
I'm tempted to side with @europia on this.  If we end up third now, it won't just be the players who will need a psychological lift! 

... *Although last day failure might be good for the forum, what with a 100 page matchday thread, and lots of lovely "told you so" threads! 👀 

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

You beat me to it but then I thought, maybe it’s true but on many occasions, the team 3rd is actually better than those in 4th, 5th and 6th (as suggested by the league table). Perhaps the psychological advantage partly offsets this but more often than not not by enough. 🤷🏻. The worry is, if my random theory is right, we’re not noticeable better than Barnsley and Posh/Bolton.

Today is massive, we really need Pompey to get something from Bolton as they’ve got 2 easy games coming up, could say the same about Oxford getting something from Posh

I thought that Pompey had lady luck today, one shot on target and that was their goal. In the dying seconds of the match a Portsmouth defender handled the ball in the 18 yard box and the ref waved play on. They've also had a shed load of penalties awarded to them this season compared with us. Love to see Barnsley beat them on Tuesday night, followed by a home draw against Wigan (They won at Lincoln today). Then last game they are away to Lincoln. We win our 2 remaining fixtures and take the title on goal difference.