Where do you think we'll finish this season?

On 30/03/2024 at 08:25, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Anything can happen. Lose at Portsmouth and Bolton win their next two and we won’t be quite as confident or comfortable! You just want Matchdays to keep coming round! 

Bolton have 9 first teamers out injured and if they still managed to win their next 2 and we lost at Pompey, they would have to turn their goal difference to be better than ours. They would still have Pompey and Peterboro to play in their last 4 games.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

Bolton have 9 first teamers out injured and if they still managed to win their next 2 and we lost at Pompey, they would have to turn their goal difference to be better than ours. They would still have Pompey and Peterboro to play in their last 4 games.

I don’t think it’s crazy to imagine that, at 5pm on Saturday, we’re level on points with Bolton. Then they would only need to pick up one more point than us over the final four games to make goal difference irrelevant. As you say though, they have a tough couple of games ahead so I think we would still be favourites.

4 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

My biggest worry now is that what was going to be a real last-game thriller between Posh and Bolton might now be a lot easier for Bolton with Posh destined for the playoffs and resting /protecting players for them.

Worry not. They’ll both be resting/protecting players for the play offs by then. 😀

Reading just seemed to give up once the 3rd goal went in, Bolton should have conceded a 6th at the end also, could be a massive miss as that 1 goal could have a bearing on final positions.....

I think we could scrape a win tomorrow though, taking the wind out of their sails!

Bolton still have Portsmouth to play at home and Peterborough away, whilst Peterborough have to go to Oxford when they should still be very much fighting for 6th place. Barnsley go to Portsmouth, Stevenage, Charlton and Blackpool. After tomorrow, we have mid-table Wycombe a few days after they play a Wembley final, Orient and Carlisle at home, neither of whom will have anything but pride to play for, and Cambridge away who could well be safe by then.

A point tomorrow would be very useful, but there's still some tricky games for each of our rivals to play.

15 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I don't think too much has changed. I expected Bolton to win this game. Even if we were to lose tomorrow and Bolton win on Saturday we'd still be above them going into four very winnable fixtures against their tougher fixtures. A point or more tomorrow would be fantastic.

I agree. My predictor (with us finishing second) had Bolton and Barnsley both winning anyway. Posh exceed my expectations but I have them too far behind.

Id take 2 points from these 2 away games with 3 very winnable games after. That way even if Bolton win on Sat we will be 2 points ahead of them, yes they will have a game in hand but the next game they would have Pompey & we have Leyton Orient at home so it could be that we will be 4 or 5 points ahead before their game in hand