Charlton Athletic v Derby - Match Day Thread

44 minutes ago, tinman said:

A welcome and good win, but that was a tough watch the second half. 

Yes and no. I've hated watching teams run through the middle at us but I actually felt pretty confident in our shape today for the first time in what feels like months.

Even though we were under pressure I never felt like we'd crack, which wasn't the case in the last few matches.

so many that hate warne and his style … and at its worse its god awful to watch. 

but and its massive but…. 

look at the stats, tightest at the back in the league, away record that is seldom seen at our club and uv got a bunch of players there that are putting their bodies on the line for the full 90….. for our club and this manager that a small minority think the players hate playing for.

were doing the dogged stuff that wins games, were earning the right to win games. Its not pretty but its a style of play that others have succeeded with just not one weve become accustomed to over the last however many years  

personally im loving the fact were a bunch of big hard f****** that if u going to get a result from youve got to be on it 

coyr!!

Edited by NottsRam77

51 minutes ago, tinman said:

A welcome and good win, but that was a tough watch the second half. 

Makes the win all the more sweet. On paper Charlton has one of the best squads (and certainly best attackers) in the league.

If scrappy 1-0 gets us top of the league come May then Viva-la-Warneball

6 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Makes the win all the more sweet. On paper Charlton has one of the best squads (and certainly best attackers) in the league.

If scrappy 1-0 gets us top of the league come May then Viva-la-Warneball

Yeah how they are 19th with their squad I've no idea. They could be problematic next season if a new manager can get a tune out of them.

Think only NML would have taken that chance with such ease.

Need him fit!

Battling win. Not pretty but Charlton created little.

League looks better tonight. 

Adams looks exactly what we need. Bird played well. Collins stayed fit. Plenty on the bench and more to come.

Never is like Football Manager is it... Charlton had Ladapo and May, we didn't have CBT. And...we won.

Names don't win games. Momentum, heart,  luck.... fate?

All looks very different without that goal but then was perfect for our back 3 and they managed the game well.

Big result. Pretty decent performance. Great day.

Edited by Chester40

1 hour ago, CapeTownRams said:

Any song for Ebou yet ???

Tune of me and you and a dog name boo (Lobo)

Me and you and a god named Ebou  Loving Adams up here in the stand
Me and you and a god named Ebou
Derby are the best team in the land

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Yeah how they are 19th with their squad I've no idea. They could be problematic next season if a new manager can get a tune out of them.

Can't see them keeping that squad together next year. They might not even stay up at this rate.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

his throw ins alone are better than most of our corners. 

It’s lucky for us his punishment is over. Anyone know what Wildsmith is being punished for ?

For being the second-best keeper?

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

his throw ins alone are better than most of our corners. 

It’s lucky for us his punishment is over. Anyone know what Wildsmith is being punished for ?

Who said he is being punished? Or is this just another non existent thing being used to attack Warne with?

He had a couple of poor performances and was dropped. 

Maybe the management just think that Vickers has done ok and doesn't deserve to lose his place?

Personally, I prefer Wildsmith but am certainly not viewing it as him being punished.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Who said he is being punished? Or is this just another non existent thing being used to attack Warne with?

He had a couple of poor performances and was dropped. 

Maybe the management just think that Vickers has done ok and doesn't deserve to lose his place?

Personally, I prefer Wildsmith but am certainly not viewing it as him being punished.

I heard that Warne makes him hand wash his discarded bobble hats and present them to him for inspection before training every day.

Intrigued what PW will now do with Nyambe back and when Fozzy is fit again. Back 4 with those back in it makes us very strong but we know he likes a back three with WBs ….

I think we'll see a transition towards 343/3421. It's the only real way you get Blackett-Taylor, Mendez-Laing and one of Ward/Wilson in the side together.

That would mean a back 3 of Nyambe, Nelson and Cashin backed up by Rooney (next season), Bradley and Forsyth. Ward, Wilson, Elder and Sibley our wing backs.

If we make Adams permanent (which I expect will be the plan), Hourihane to leave at the end of his contract, and Bird's loan to end... Adams will be partnered with another new signing next season (for now it would be Bird). Thompson and another will be backups.

We would also need 2 new wingers to compete with Blackett-Taylor and Mendez-Laing, as well as a couple new forwards (expect a new deal for Collins).

Interesting hearing PW on RD saying that how Ebou played today was how he was wanting and expecting Fornah to play- but that ‘it hadn’t worked out quite so well (yet)’.

Hopefully Fornah can learn from Ebou’s aggression and work rate…

When we signed Fornah, I saw nothing in his stats to set him apart from Smith. It's no surprise to me it isn't quite working as Warne had hoped.

However, when I looked at Adams' he was averaging close to double Fornah's defensive output, albeit mostly at a lower level and having not played much for a couple of years. I just new he would make a difference. Then his interview... with an infectious personality like his, he's it just adds to the certainty of him being a good signing.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I heard that Warne makes him hand wash his discarded bobble hats and present them to him for inspection before training every day.

Not really a punishment though.

If he wanted to punish him, he'd make him play in midfield in training and tell everyone to play 'Warneball'.