Wildsmith

The team got Wildsmith out of jail at Oxford. His decision for the penalty was criminal and don’t think he covered himself in glory with the second. Had we not made that dramatic comeback I think Wildsmith would have copped a load of flak.

Thought initially did well against Peterborough and was dominant in the air collecting crosses. Thought with the rest of the defence he switched off for their equaliser and might have done better. Thought he could have done more with their winner too. He also wasted time and was warned by the referee (not unusual for him) and may have caused additional added time. They scored in the last minute. Needs to be cleverer.

happy for Vickers to have a chance but initial thought s are Wildsmith is the better if he just concentrates on his goalkeeping.

54 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Wildsmith was dropped because of his form in his last couple of games.  You'd have very different results if you compared the two keepers stats from their last two league games.  

Thought Vickers would probably just come in for one game to give Wildsmith a kick up the backside.  Remind him his standards can't drop. Haven't seen anything from Vickers to suggest he is a better bet than Joe so think it would be harsh if Vickers keeps his place.

Against Oxford and Peterborough only...

Saves: 7

Goals Conceded: 5

Goals Prevented: -2.2 (alternative source used)

Save Rate: 58%

Clean Sheets: 0

Using the same source for individual games, Vickers has had a 'Goals Prevented' of -1.6 over these last 2 league games. He's also conceded 3 goals without making a single save (0% save %) across the two games.

Perhaps, Warne felt that our back up keeper needed a bit more match practice, in case he's needed later in the season? After a couple of less than perfect games for Wildsmith and to bring him in against 'lesser' opposition might be deemed a good decision. It would be better for him to have some experience with the other first teamers rather being thrown in at the deep end because of a Wildsmith injury/suspension before the Bolton or Barnsley type games.

Him and Wildsmith bring different things to the table, I liked his quicker distribution, especially throwing out to the wide players. However, he's not as confident as Wildsmith in dealing with crosses.

I don't blame him for either goal last night, they were both right in the corner.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Against Oxford and Peterborough only...

Saves: 7

Goals Conceded: 5

Goals Prevented: -2.2 (alternative source used)

Save Rate: 58%

Clean Sheets: 0

Using the same source for individual games, Vickers has had a 'Goals Prevented' of -1.6 over these last 2 league games. He's also conceded 3 goals without making a single save (0% save %) across the two games.

Looking back, I don't think that Peter Shilton, would have stopped those 3 goals and he can't make any saves if the other teams don't give him savable attempts to stop.

For me Wildsmith hadn’t done enough to get dropped. It’s tough for Warne because he probably has the best goalkeeping department in the league.

Having seen Vickers the in the last couple of games he looks short of confidence, which could be seen in him trying to punch away catchable balls and dropping a few crosses. Could he potentially be loaned out to another team in League 1, who aren’t promotion rivals, that way he could get game time to build up his confidence / match sharpness and maybe take a point or two off our promotion rivals. We then promote one of our young keepers to get experience being in and around the first team, with the option of recalling Vickers if Wildsmith gets injured or suspended.

33 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Looking back, I don't think that Peter Shilton, would have stopped those 3 goals and he can't make any saves if the other teams don't give him savable attempts to stop.

But results are rewarded on stats nowadays.... keep up 🤣

Not sure why the keepers position should be any different to the rest, no reason why he shouldn't give Vickers a chance given the slight dip (watching the game not based on stats 😏) in wildsmiths performances. Personally prefer Wildsmith, but one cost us points imo, the other hasn't, so for me, the shirt is still his for now.

4 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

I was thinking this, but after chatting at the game last night apparently he wasn't his best v Oxford and admittedly I missed that game so couldn't state he shouldn't have been with any conviction. 

In many ways I think Wildsmith has been one of the best signings we've made post-admin. Remarkably consistent which is rare for keeps below elite-level. On a free, he's been a cracking bit of business so far!

Fair point, I'd agree that Wildsmith did little wrong till the Oxford game. But the first against them and (debatably) the third against Posh were down to him. Keepers get it tough, nowhere to hide when they make a pigs ear of it - Elder made an equally big error for Burton's second last night but might well keep a start even though.

40 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

For me Wildsmith hadn’t done enough to get dropped. It’s tough for Warne because he probably has the best goalkeeping department in the league.

Having seen Vickers the in the last couple of games he looks short of confidence, which could be seen in him trying to punch away catchable balls and dropping a few crosses. Could he potentially be loaned out to another team in League 1, who aren’t promotion rivals, that way he could get game time to build up his confidence / match sharpness and maybe take a point or two off our promotion rivals. We then promote one of our young keepers to get experience being in and around the first team, with the option of recalling Vickers if Wildsmith gets injured or suspended.

Agree that Vickers doesn't command his box like Wildsmith does, couple of punches out last night were ones that Wildsmith would have easily caught. It's a hard one with keepers, you don't get to keep them in place till they c*** up, you have to work out before they make a mistake otherwise they end up shot for ever (Jim Leighton being prime example).

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Fair point, I'd agree that Wildsmith did little wrong till the Oxford game. But the first against them and (debatably) the third against Posh were down to him. Keepers get it tough, nowhere to hide when they make a pigs ear of it - Elder made an equally big error for Burton's second last night but might well keep a start even though.

He got hauled off shortly after, same as Ward when he gave another pen away. Both of which are PW signings 🤨

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Agree that Vickers doesn't command his box like Wildsmith does, couple of punches out last night were ones that Wildsmith would have easily caught. It's a hard one with keepers, you don't get to keep them in place till they c*** up, you have to work out before they make a mistake otherwise they end up shot for ever (Jim Leighton being prime example).

His ability with his feet is nowhere near as good as Wildsmith. Don't know why Wildy looked a bit 'off' recently but Vickers is not as good a keeper and doesn't give the same confidence that Joe does, imho. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

His ability with his feet is nowhere near as good as Wildsmith. Don't know why Wildy looked a bit 'off' recently but Vickers is not as good a keeper and doesn't give the same confidence that Joe does, imho. 

You might need to give him time as that was his first League game at home.  
Wildsmith distribution is poor imo

15 hours ago, ram59 said:

That's the problem. The other teams need to stop taking unsavable shots at our goal... 😉 

Hmi1hXOkn2YA.gif

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You might need to give him time as that was his first League game at home.  
Wildsmith distribution is poor imo

Wildsmith's distribution amongst the back four isn't poor. Do you mean booting it long? 😄 Vickers isn't as good as Joe imo. 🐏

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wildsmith's distribution amongst the back four isn't poor. Do you mean booting it long? 😄 Vickers isn't as good as Joe imo. 🐏

Well Wildsmith booting it long isn’t great.  He always looks nervous with his short game to Cashin and Nelson etc. 

The number of times he kicks it long over Forsyths head into touch is crazy. 

Also he goes down injured too many times. 
He’s done well for Derby with his shot stopping but is that enough.  I’m not sure how good Vickers is but he needs more than 1 League game for sure 

The goalkeeper is the last line of defence, The defence starts at the front, the 2 goals that Burton scored Vickers was left exposed, A very slight deflection and I think Vickers would have just got fingers to it and a corner might have been given, The 2nd all he could do was narrow the angle...Hugil had plenty of time to think where to put the ball...some players overthink this, Hugil put it where Vickers couldn't anticipate.

Oxford, Peterboro, Fleetwood and Burton our defence looks to be a little shaky...8 goals in 4 games conceded...Why is this...rash challenges, Players given space, Players losing the ball, It happens up and down the country every game, But those with the better defenders and a good keeper will more than likely be there or there abouts come May.

We're blessed with 2 good keepers, Vickers holds the top spot, It's his to lose and any fall down in expected saves or crosses then Wildsmith will be waiting. 

19 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Wildsmith was poor in the Oxford & Peterborough games. I think when you have an experienced keeper on the bench, you have to give him an opportunity to win his place. He's had a few games now - done ok, but probably should've done better in some situations. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wildsmith come back in at some point, personally. I'd probably go with him against Lincoln. 

Keep the standard as high as possible - conceding two against Burton probably falls below that standard. 

Agree with all of this except I didn't feel the Burton goals were down to Vickers, which makes it a little hard to switch him out even though his punching and command of the box was poor.

Wildsmith is a huge asset in terms of game management and normally giving the defence confidence. I wish he hadn't had the two consecutive poor games he had, as I would prefer him between the sticks, but I think Warne will feel that now he's made the call, he can't go back on it immediately as there isn't a compelling reason to. And it may be that Vickers grows into the role.

37 minutes ago, roboto said:

That's the problem. The other teams need to stop taking unsavable shots at our goal... 😉 

"Unsavable"? You've never seen keepers stop similar shots before?

Goal 1 - Vickers' positioning was very good, but was too slow to get down

Goal 2 - He was hesitant at closing the attacker down, then too slow when he did. He needed to delay the closing down a bit longer, timing it so that he could instantly be at the attacker's feet as he arrived in the area. He gave far too much space to his right hand side then dived to his left. Both were contributory factors towards making an easy chance even easier.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with all of this except I didn't feel the Burton goals were down to Vickers, which makes it a little hard to switch him out even though his punching and command of the box was poor.

Wildsmith is a huge asset in terms of game management and normally giving the defence confidence. I wish he hadn't had the two consecutive poor games he had, as I would prefer him between the sticks, but I think Warne will feel that now he's made the call, he can't go back on it immediately as there isn't a compelling reason to. And it may be that Vickers grows into the role.

He's not overly confident with balls into the box.  I think the first one is saved if it doesn't hit Nelsons heel.