Bradford City at home Match Thread

sage

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Are you happy to see Warne sign more in January based on the likes of Fornah, Bradley, Ward, Washington 

No and this is my worry ....I'm not at all confident we'll see the type of signings that would get you off your seat...but they might be able to run a lot 

I'm not entirely convinced that managers of Prem and even some Championship clubs see Derby as a place to trust there players development regarding some decent loans which could be pivotal to us getting up

43 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Just got home. That was fun. Absolutely freezing, terrible game and had my ears bombarded all night by a large number of young people who both a: seemed extraordinarily giddy about being outside and watching a football match b: seemed to know absolutely nothing about the game they were watching and c - seemed only able to shout incoherent drivel where one out of every three words was an obscenity (not that I’m prudish about swearing, you understand… I couldn’t give a f… it was the inane nature of it that was far more troubling. Just shouting for shouting’s sake - and not in a ‘there to support the team’ sort of way, just shouting. One young person seemed to be trying to impress his girlfriend but only succeeded in making himself look silly; sadly I doubt he had the personal insight to recognise this).

I might not have noticed this too much if the football had been in any way engaging but it wasn’t and so I can only reflect on the state of our young people and consider whether I was similarly stupid when I was their age.  I can only surmise that I probably was and that makes me sad.  It also makes me realise that I’m probably closer to death than I am to their age. Which also makes me sad. 

So, yeah, thanks Paul and Co. I’ve probably got pneumonia, have become a grumpy old man shaking my fists at the youth of today and am pondering my own mortality… all because you couldn’t string two passes together against Bradford f’ing City. 

Not just me then? 😆

Well that's 6 hours of my life and a few quid, that I'll not get back.

Looking at the positives, nobody seems to have picked up a serious injury like Bird did in the FA Cup last season, also there's no more extra fixtures to squeeze in and from a pure selfish point of view, I couldn't have gone to Wembley anyway.

One thing I did notice as we waited to get out of the ground, I've never seen a more dispirited winning team go to take the away fans applause, I don't think that one of their players was smiling, never mind actually celebrating the victory.

Let's hope that we can put this behind us and get back to winning ways on Monday, although our recent home record is nothing to shout about.

42 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

He wasn't the worst player tonight. However he was in no mans land for their goal. Either him or Nelson should have been marking their goalscorer imho. Defensive naivety leaving Ward to mark the big lump that scored. 

Which is twice in 2 games now!

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Would it be fair to say that is pretty much Warne’s team - full of his signings? Vickers, Elder, Bradley, Ward, Fornah, Wilson, Nelson, TJJ etc. Only Nyambe didn’t play? I can’t recall really but it’s a little bit of a worry for me because only Nelson and Nyambe, and Wilson at times, look any good. I am a little underwhelmed with his signings so it feels a bit like the pressure is on, in terms of January signings. 

Anyway. I didn’t care about this cup and didn’t go so I can’t really grumble about what was seemingly a half-arsedperformance. 

Based on Whoscored ratings, our best XI in the league is this (bold = Warne signings): 

Wildsmith

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Bird   Hourihane

Barkhuizen   Waghorn   Mendez-Laing

Collins

Rooney is rated higher than Nyambe too, but he only played in 3 games so I haven't included him.

48 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

He wasn't the worst player tonight. However he was in no mans land for their goal. Either him or Nelson should have been marking their goalscorer imho. Defensive naivety leaving Ward to mark the big lump that scored. 

I may be being harsh, but neither Bradley or Nelson are spring chickens. Bradley in particular seems to struggle in a 3. But he's a seasoned defender so if he can't organize a 4, what use is he?

Well that wasn’t worth freezing my tits off for but at least I can say I got to an EFL Trophy game this season to go with my game last season although this was nowhere near as enjoyable as our win over Grimsby (my last EFL trophy game). I viewed this as a real opportunity to get to Wembley and I’m bitterly disappointed we haven’t grasped it. However, I sincerely hope this is the last ever EFL trophy game we ever play and I’m pleased we can now fully focus on the league.

So many weren’t at it tonight, thought Sonny did ok, along with Nelson Wilson cash when he came on and Collo, everyone else may as well have not been there. Thommo Sibs and Fornah didn’t grasp their opportunity although thought it was slightly harsh on Sibs to be subbed, thought he was at least trying to make things happen. 

I have serious concerns about Ward Fornah and Vickers. Not sure they are good enough.

Ward is a wannabe David Beckham, can’t defend or tackle, no pace no trick likes the Hollywood cross but 9 times out of 10 straight into the keepers arms. Predictable, not dangerous.

Vickers looks very uncertain, he flaps I worry about his positional sense he’s dodgy playing out from the back and he even makes simple saves look Hollywood. Maybe Warne wanted him to bring a bit more Disney to the team. Not for me. Get Wildsmith back in ASAP.

Fornah is a real enigma. Technically and athletically brilliant, that tackle pirouette run and pass in the first half was a thing of beauty. However despite strength and power he can get pushed off the ball easily, his positional discipline tonight was horrific,  and whenever he made a tackle or a pass he then stops ball comes back to him and he’s on his heels leading him to get beaten to the ball or closed down to the point where he’s forced to tackle, misplace a pass or pass backwards. Really poor and playing like that I can’t see any way he gets into the team.

Hope we react positively to this and continue our form in the league and this will be quickly forgotten but please Derby, get promoted never come back here and never play in this godforsaken competition ever again.

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I may be being harsh, but neither Bradley or Nelson are spring chickens. Bradley in particular seems to struggle in a 3. But he's a seasoned defender so if he can't organize a 4, what use is he?

think it highlights the fact that keeping cash is worth more than the money we are likely to get for him,god help us if we have to play bradley and nelson together for the rest of the season

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Would it be fair to say that is pretty much Warne’s team - full of his signings? Vickers, Elder, Bradley, Ward, Fornah, Wilson, Nelson, TJJ etc. Only Nyambe didn’t play? I can’t recall really but it’s a little bit of a worry for me because only Nelson and Nyambe, and Wilson at times, look any good. I am a little underwhelmed with his signings so it feels a bit like the pressure is on, in terms of January signings. 

Anyway. I didn’t care about this cup and didn’t go so I can’t really grumble about what was seemingly a half-arsedperformance. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Are you happy to see Warne sign more in January based on the likes of Fornah, Bradley, Ward, Washington 

Didn't sound like we're making headway on signings. Possibly due to making 5 or 6 signings who are crap/ not right for this side in the positions

Listened to Paul Warne interview on RamsTV. Honest and as disappointed as everyone on here. He’s said on a few occasions now that they keep telling the players that, to paraphrase, they “have to turn up”. It’s a minimum requirement and yet he’s had to say it a few times. Also, these players are playing in front of a small crowd. Why the panicky football?

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Just got home. That was fun. Absolutely freezing, terrible game and had my ears bombarded all night by a large number of young people who both a: seemed extraordinarily giddy about being outside and watching a football match b: seemed to know absolutely nothing about the game they were watching and c - seemed only able to shout incoherent drivel where one out of every three words was an obscenity (not that I’m prudish about swearing, you understand… I couldn’t give a f… it was the inane nature of it that was far more troubling. Just shouting for shouting’s sake - and not in a ‘there to support the team’ sort of way, just shouting. One young person seemed to be trying to impress his girlfriend but only succeeded in making himself look silly; sadly I doubt he had the personal insight to recognise this).

I might not have noticed this too much if the football had been in any way engaging but it wasn’t and so I can only reflect on the state of our young people and consider whether I was similarly stupid when I was their age.  I can only surmise that I probably was and that makes me sad.  It also makes me realise that I’m probably closer to death than I am to their age. Which also makes me sad. 

So, yeah, thanks Paul and Co. I’ve probably got pneumonia, have become a grumpy old man shaking my fists at the youth of today and am pondering my own mortality… all because you couldn’t string two passes together against Bradford f’ing City. 

Thank you for your service! I was actually going to be at the game, but I feel like I dodged a bullet, even more so after reading your post 😂

As for the kids, not sure you're being grumpy. I've never understood people who harangue their own team, though tonight's performance would have had me inwardly seething, I'm sure. 

As for pondering your mortality, I'm sure that's tongue in cheek, but in any case, keep the faith mate, you'll be bouncing like a good 'un when we win this league and for many years yet.

COYR

43 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on Whoscored ratings, our best XI in the league is this (bold = Warne signings): 

Wildsmith

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Bird   Hourihane

Barkhuizen   Waghorn   Mendez-Laing

Collins

Rooney is rated higher than Nyambe too, but he only played in 3 games so I haven't included him.

Recruitment this summer was pretty poor, and catching up with us now - Bradley, Elder, Ward and Washington presumably take up a fair whack of what budget we have, while contributing very little. 

1 hour ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

Tonight's performance shows we really are not right for promotion.

How many times have we seen this shambles this season?

Far too many!

The way we have exited 3 cup competitions have all been dire - incompetent and indifferent. Fortunately the league games tell a different story outcome-wise