Bradford City at home Match Thread

sage

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

I was at the game and the 2nd half was much worse than the first .Vickers  kept the score down whilst Bird and Hourihane were our soft underbelly.

I went too , and disagree. The second half was better than the first - very low bar admittedly. 

None of the first half midfield (all youngsters being given an opportunity to press their case) offered anything much apart from a couple of bits of skill from Fornah; Collins worked hard as usual and got no service; Barkhuizan flattered occasionally but had one of his frustrating games; Bradley and Nelson were mostly ok, Elder too. At least in the second half we created some opportunities (Hourihane had a shot charged down) NML created a bit of panic in their defence periodically, as did Wilson before he was withdrawn. 
It was a poor game on a frozen night with a bobbly pitch with not much to warm the cockles. 

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Are we blaming the fans that didn’t come ?Was the first half midfield worse than the 2nd half ? Because the 2nd half midfield lost the game . We don’t want a third home loss on the bounce v Burton next Monday.

Not blaming fans, but must be hard to get motivated in front of two men and their dogs. 

Anyway this Mickey Mouse cup is more of a cherry on top of the cake…If we would’ve won the cup and not got promotion, who cares? If we get promotion but no cup, who cares? If we would’ve achieved both then it would be nice, but alas that’s only a dream now.

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Not wanting to detract from Rooney’s potential but: if these ratings put Rooney above Nyambe it puts a large question mark over all of the ratings 

You could argue it'd down to a small sample size (3 games / 187 minutes).

I'd also say it's fairer to judge players per 90 than per game, but the ratings are average game rating instead. Per game, Rooney made 2.7 tackles and 3.3 clearances to Nyambe's 1.5 and 1.6 respectively. Per game, there isn't much difference statisticly.

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I don't know. It's just an example for demo purposes, not a line by line analysis of all last summer's deals.

Ah right, thats 1 out of the 10 signings we made, so doesnt seem much of a sample size.

Here are the other 9...

Martyn Waghorn aged 33

Sonny Bradley aged 31

Conor Washington aged 31

Curtis Nelson aged 30

Callum Elder aged 28

Josh Vickers aged 27

Ryan Nambe without a club

Kane Wilson 5 appearances for his previous club

Tyrese Fornah 1 appearance for Forest followed by 4 loan spells at lower league clubs

None of them jump out at me as being players that we would have had to throw a huge salary at to acquire.

And that would also make sense considering we were still under a business plan that had to be agreed with the EFL.

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well being under EFL restrictions would make it a reasonable assumption. 

There's usually a reason why a player is available on a free transfer, either young and looking to get a move up the ladder, or old and surplus to requirements. 

I think most of our signings fall into the latter category.

I don’t think there any restrictions, DC has a budget and is spending what he feels is appropriate.  I am not aware that he feels constrained in any way.  DC model is slow progress and that is not a criticism.  It is his money and he spends it how he wants.  

5 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I don’t think there any restrictions, DC has a budget and is spending what he feels is appropriate.  I am not aware that he feels constrained in any way.  DC model is slow progress and that is not a criticism.  It is his money and he spends it how he wants.  

Pretty sure we are still limited on what we spend until Aug 24. Whilst the EFL lifted "Restrictions", we still have to operate under the business plan which was previously submitted.

5 minutes ago, Spanish said:

The restrictions lasted for 2 seasons.

Having to agree a business plan is a restriction.

From memory, DC or SP said the EFL accepted our business plan without any amendments.

What it does mean though is, if someone became available now that PW thought was the player that could get us over the line then we could only sign him within the constraints of the business plan.

So although you're correct insomuch that we are acting within our self imposed constraints, I don't think its correct to say there are no restrictions. 

Just my take on it.

1 minute ago, Returning ram said:

Pretty sure we are still limited on what we spend until Aug 24. Whilst the EFL lifted "Restrictions", we still have to operate under the business plan which was previously submitted.

DCs budget which EFL have approved as not breaching any rules.  Happy to be persuaded otherwise but I don’t sense DC would like to spend more.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The restrictions lasted for 2 seasons.

Having to agree a business plan is a restriction.

From memory, DC or SP said the EFL accepted our business plan without any amendments.

What it does mean though is, if someone became available now that PW thought was the player that could get us over the line then we could only sign him within the constraints of the business plan.

So although you're correct insomuch that we are acting within our self imposed constraints, I don't think its correct to say there are no restrictions. 

Just my take on it.

We can’t know for certain but my view is you can’t call them restrictions if we have no intention of breaching them 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Not wanting to detract from Rooney’s potential but: if these ratings put Rooney above Nyambe it puts a large question mark over all of the ratings 

I disagree. I like Nyambe (even though he is very one footed) but based on the very small sample size I would rate Rooney slightly higher.

The team and the pitch looked second rate. Shockingly poor performance. Those given a chance to impress failed badly.

The first half midfield were fortunate to be given up to half time. Second half midfield better but only just. Passing was some of the worst I've seen. 

For me that highlights our problem and it's not the manager as I previously thought. If we coukd afford it I'd get rid of at least 6 of our first team squad. 

Players to keep for next season :

Wildsmith Vickers 

Nyambe Wilson 

Nelson Cashin Rooney 

Bird Thompson Robinson 

NML Collins 

Off Load 

Loach, Fozzy, Elder, Bradley, Fornah, Hourihane, Sibley, Barks, JJ, Waggy, Washington. 

So 50% turnover some will attract modest fees others not. 

Edited by Magicman

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

We can’t know for certain but my view is you can’t call them restrictions if we have no intention of breaching them 

Does that mean there is no speed limit on the estate where I live because I have no intention of exceeding 30mph? 😀

Seriously though, if we are still subject to agreed business plan that includes self imposed spending limits, surely effectively they are restrictions if the business plan wouldn’t have been approved without them. We’ll never know if it would have been rejected but I’m pretty confident that DC and his team had a reasonable idea of the type of spending the EFL were likely to approve. Surely conversations took place.

My view is that, technically we may not be able to call them restrictions but effectively they probably are.

2 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith Vickers 

Nyambe Wilson 

Nelson Cashin 

Bird Thompson Robinson 

NML Collins 

Off Load 

Loach, Fozzy, Elder, Bradley, Fornah, Hourihane, Sibley, Barks, JJ, Waggy, Washington. 

Agree with this. My comment about getting rid of 6 was too kind. 

7 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Not blaming fans, but must be hard to get motivated in front of two men and their dogs. 

Anyway this Mickey Mouse cup is more of a cherry on top of the cake…If we would’ve won the cup and not got promotion, who cares? If we get promotion but no cup, who cares? If we would’ve achieved both then it would be nice, but alas that’s only a dream now.

The “ 2 men & 2 dogs” are the hardcore fan base. And the players still get their £10k a week . Is the F A Cup “Tinpot”? Because we have gone out of all 3 cups at home to lesser opposition.

7 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

It’s a good job these players weren’t around in the Covid season then. I agree, it must help to have a decent crowd cheering you on (or not as is sometimes the case) but professional footballers should be able to motivate themselves to perform at a much higher standard than they did last night. So, I agree with your first three words. Just a shame your 4th word was “but”.

7 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith Vickers 

Nyambe Wilson 

Nelson Cashin Rooney 

Bird Thompson Robinson 

NML Collins 

Off Load 

Keep Fozzy, get rid of Collins

8 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith Vickers 

Nyambe Wilson 

Nelson Cashin Rooney 

Bird Thompson Robinson 

NML Collins 

Off Load 

You forgot Ward..off load him as well