Promotion Rivals Watch

sage

'Pompy' only squeezed past bottom of the table Fleetwood and don't appear to be playing with a lot of confidence, P'boro seem to be marching on and were impressive at PP. Bolton who were also on a great run and looking in a very strong position, were deservedly beaten by Orient.

The top 4 have effectively squeezed a little bit closer after today's games, with Derby being bottom of the 4, in effect.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

'Pompy' only squeezed past bottom of the table Fleetwood and don't appear to be playing with a lot of confidence, P'boro seem to be marching on and were impressive at PP. Bolton who were also on a great run and looking in a very strong position, were deservedly beaten by Orient.

The top 4 have effectively squeezed a little bit closer after today's games, with Derby being bottom of the 4, in effect.

If everyone won their games in hand, pompey and Bolton would swap. We’d still be in 3rd. 

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

If everyone won their games in hand, pompey and Bolton would swap. We’d still be in 3rd. 

We're all averaging about 2 points per game, so in effect, when we draw level on matches (not just the one game in hand), we'll (1.96ppg) be one point behind 'Pompy' (2.0ppg) and two behind P'boro and Bolton (both 2.04ppg).

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent results tonight, Peterborough seeing Olakigbe sent off before scoring 2 own goals to lose 2-1, and in-form Stevenage contriving to lose at home to Reading. Bolton's game abandoned means their fixtures continue to buildup - there might be a stage when it comes back to bite them. Two-thirds of the season down, we're looking at:

1. Bolton 28 58pts 2.07ppg [projected 95]
  2. Portsmouth 31 63pts 2.03ppg [projected 93.5]
  3. DERBY 30 59pts 1.97ppg [projected 90.5]
  4. Peterborough 30 56pts 1.87ppg [projected 86]
  5. Barnsley 29 53pts 1.83ppg [projected 84]
  6. Stevenage 29 52pts 1.79ppg [projected 82.5]
  7. Oxford 30 51pts 1.7ppg [projected 78]
  8. Blackpool 30 46pts 1.53ppg [projected 70.5]

I'd say Oxford are now out of the running for the autos - they'd need to win 14 out of their last 16 games.

I think 94 points will likely get second place, which means 11 wins and 2 draws for us. Win 12 of the last 16 and we're surely over the line.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Excellent results tonight, Peterborough seeing Olakigbe sent off before scoring 2 own goals to lose 2-1, and in-form Stevenage contriving to lose at home to Reading. Bolton's game abandoned means their fixtures continue to buildup - there might be a stage when it comes back to bite them. Two-thirds of the season down, we're looking at:

1. Bolton 28 58pts 2.07ppg [projected 95]
  2. Portsmouth 31 63pts 2.03ppg [projected 93.5]
  3. DERBY 30 59pts 1.97ppg [projected 90.5]
  4. Peterborough 30 56pts 1.87ppg [projected 86]
  5. Barnsley 29 53pts 1.83ppg [projected 84]
  6. Stevenage 29 52pts 1.79ppg [projected 82.5]
  7. Oxford 30 51pts 1.7ppg [projected 78]
  8. Blackpool 30 46pts 1.53ppg [projected 70.5]

I'd say Oxford are now out of the running for the autos - they'd need to win 14 out of their last 16 games.

I think 94 points will likely get second place, which means 11 wins and 2 draws for us. Win 12 of the last 16 and we're surely over the line.

If we get past easter one or two points from automatic we'll do it.

Last 4 games,

Wycombe A

Orient H

Cambridge A

Carlisle H

Just nick 2nd spot with a win at Cambridge and have an end of season celebration party at home to Carlisle.

Bit like 1975.

Edited by uttoxram75
Couldnt spell Wycombe ffs

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Last 4 games,

Wycombe A

Orient H

Cambridge A

Carlisle H

Just nick 2nd spot with a win at Cambridge and have an end of season celebration party at home to Carlisle.

Bit like 1975.

If you can’t spell Wycombe just write Ambulance chasers😉

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Last 4 games,

Wycombe A

Orient H

Cambridge A

Carlisle H

Bit like 1975.

That game in 1975 was the 26th of April, this year it’s one day later.

I was there that day, it would be nice to repeat it this season with my son and grandson by my side.

Worth noting that Stevenage lost thanks to an own goal from a new signing in January and Peterborough had a new signing sent off which induced losing a lead and the game vs Exeter - as we know new signings do not necessarily improve your results 

On 07/02/2024 at 11:11, Foreveram said:

I was there that day, it would be nice to repeat it this season with my son and grandson by my side.

Yes was at that Carlisle match at the BBG..boring 0-0 draw but who cared when you were champions..great day and memories.

On 07/02/2024 at 11:11, Foreveram said:

1 hour ago, OwdGladysHinton said:

Yes was at that Carlisle match at the BBG..boring 0-0 draw but who cared when you were champions..great day and memories.

I was just a few weeks shy of 15. Got the train from Utch with about 25 others, flanges and scraves everywhere. It was glorious weather, absolute carnival atmosphere round the town and walking up to the ground. The match itself was dire due to Derby players being hungover (or still drunk) and Carlisle already relegated and not wanting to spoil the party.

On the pitch after for ages, singing and dancing, 2nd title in 3 seasons, best team in the land.......

INSERT - Lee 2.jpg

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was just a few weeks shy of 15. Got the train from Utch with about 25 others, flanges and scraves everywhere. It was glorious weather, absolute carnival atmosphere round the town and walking up to the ground. The match itself was dire due to Derby players being hungover (or still drunk) and Carlisle already relegated and not wanting to spoil the party.

On the pitch after for ages, singing and dancing, 2nd title in 3 seasons, best team in the land.......

INSERT - Lee 2.jpg

Stop it..me eyes are watering..we'll probably never see this again us oldies..if only we could roll back the clock..that team was

what you called the super rams!