Promotion Rivals Watch

sage

10 minutes ago, OwdGladysHinton said:

Stop it..me eyes are watering..we'll probably never see this again us oldies..if only we could roll back the clock..that team was

what you called the super rams!

That one picture, Francis Lee, Roy McFarland, Kevin Hector, Colin Todd and Bruce Rioch, right there you have 5 players who were internationals and played at the top level for nearly all their careers. 

Super Rams indeed.

After our lovely win away at Exeter:

The key two matches:

• Bolton 2 Wycombe 1
  • Portsmouth 3 Cambridge 1

Playoff contenders:

• Oxford 4 Wigan 2
  • Shrewsbury 1 Barnsley 1
  • Stevenage 2 Bristol Rovers 3

Table based on points per game:

1. Portsmouth p33 pts69 ppg2.09 projection96
  2. Bolton p30 pts62 ppg2.07 projection95
  3. DERBY p32 pts63 ppg1.97 projection91
  4. Barnsley p31 pts57 ppg1.84 projection85
  5. P'Boro p31 pts56 ppg1.81 projection83
  6. Oxford p32 pts55 ppg1.72 projection79
  7. Stevenage p31 pts53 ppg1.71 projection79

There is now a clear top 2, and a clear 4-7, and then there's us halfway between the two groups. We'll need several wins in a row to likely close the gap and put us in the mix. For instance, if we win the next four games we move to 2.08 ppg.

image.thumb.png.8e5fe117921b89a37dfbe891e75c85f1.png

Peterborough picking just the wrong time for a slump.
Couple of weeks ago, I had them as a very good Autos possibility, more so than us. 
And now they're 10 points behind

and there's really only 2 teams keeping it together at the moment - us & Pompey
Barnsley game will be crucial

Edited by Quagga

Absolutely fantastic to gain 2 points on Bolton today. They play again on Tuesday, away at Cambridge. Obviously you'd expect them to win but, should they drop points we're properly second (based on points per game) for the first time this season. Currently it's:

1. Portsmouth 2.12 ppg
  2. Bolton 2.03 ppg
  3. DERBY 2.00 ppg
  4. Barnsley 1.88 ppg

It's a four-horse race. Win at Barnsley on Saturday and it's a three-horse race. Today's other results for the top 4.

• Portsmouth 4 Reading 1
  • Bolton 3 Charlton 3
  • Fleetwood 1 Barnsley 2

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

As a top 6 team, Barnsley will be expected to attack us at home, which better suits our team IMO. (I would also take a draw though)

Said somewhere else that this was the one I fancied us winning of those left in February. Draw the home games and best this lot. I feel like we're a better team and that they won't be as desperate to s******** as Charlton were and Stevenage even more so. The win against Stevenage was a good 3 points in a game where not a lot of football was played and I agree that Barnsley will at least attempt to win on merit. Hopefully a little easier on the eye and another 3 points after which a win at home to Charlton and we might be looking alright going into March.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

which invariably works, and has the Warne outers ripping their own teeth out in frustration.

Again.

Oh come on @Eddie what was you expecting to find in the Warne Out thread?

Oh wait, it's not, it's just another thread that will be hijacked for posting anti Warne comments...

Edited by G STAR RAM

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

which invariably works, and has the Warne outers ripping their own teeth out in frustration.

Again.

Interesting. I haven't bothered counting, but my sense is it's about 50:50.

For each stevenage there's a Shrewsbury?

We very rarely seem to have home games where the result is pretty much done with say 15 to go. Barnsley and Northampton?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Interesting. I haven't bothered counting, but my sense is it's about 50:50.

For each stevenage there's a Shrewsbury?

We very rarely seem to have home games where the result is pretty much done with say 15 to go. Barnsley and Northampton?

No, that tends to happen in away games.

Perhaps it's a 'pressure' thing.

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, that tends to happen in away games.

Perhaps it's a 'pressure' thing.

I think it's more of a product of how teams play against us home v away. We excel with room to use, where we can utilise NML on the break. At home, where we have to break teams down who sit back, we don't have the creativity and strikers to do it until the game gets more stretched later in games.