Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

Peterborough match up really well with us. We are an old, slow team and they’re anything but that. I credit Warne for making switches to try and stem the tide but it wasn’t going to work against that. We need players in who have pace and athleticism badly. 3rd match in quick succession with no lineup change likely a bridge too far.

My mine gripe was you don’t want to concede against a team like that from two high balls into the box. That is absolutely unforgivable. They’re killing us with their quick play, but to concede two seriously bad goals was really infuriating.

Overall, Peterborough best team (in possession) I’ve seen since we came down and we didn’t deserve a lot from it. Just frustrating it happened like that.

January important for us. We need to add that pace and athleticism in attacking areas. 

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Talk about negative overreaction.

Peterborough deserved the win. They were the better team and outplayed us but not to the extent that they battered us.

Tbf any different to the reaction of a lot of Oxford fans after we beat them !? I know and think 🧐 not.

A fair comment. I thought they looked a step above us.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

It was too much to ask the same 11 players to play 3 games in 6 days, especially against (what is possibly) the quickest team in the League.

Hindsight is great. But yes, agreed. Even more so if u need to constantly press the opposition. Almost as if Warne thought we could outplay them and didn’t need a press..

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Peterborough match up really well with us. We are an old, slow team and they’re anything but that. I credit Warne for making switches to try and stem the tide but it wasn’t going to work against that. We need players in who have pace and athleticism badly. 3rd match in quick succession with no lineup change likely a bridge too far.

My mine gripe was you don’t want to concede against a team like that from two high balls into the box. That is absolutely unforgivable. They’re killing us with their quick play, but to concede two seriously bad goals was really infuriating.

Overall, Peterborough best team (in possession) I’ve seen since we came down and we didn’t deserve a lot from it. Just frustrating it happened like that.

January important for us. We need to add that pace and athleticism in attacking areas. 

Totally agree 👍👏

Disappointing but their forward play was excellent at times. Perhaps we could have looked at their recruitment team rather than Oxford? 
Anyway was slightly inevitable today - how many times do we not hit the heights with more expectation and a larger crowd? As long as I can remember in the recent past. Also as someone incredibly superstitious dont add to the odds against us by introducing a new Rammie today and then not playing Mr Brightside just before they come out on to pitch. @Owen87ITK please can you get that sorted?! 😂

On 30/12/2023 at 17:27, B4’s Sister said:

What an awesome win yesterday against Oxford. I reckon that’s just the warm up for the match against Peterborough. Bring on the New Year bounce 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

d0d8dc67-6d49-4d72-a8e4-e65b35cfc084_tex

Thought we deserved a point though I agree with most that Peterborough were the better team. Their ability to move the ball quickly, accurately and with purpose only highlighted our inability to do it. Their front players were outstanding. 

My only gripe, and maybe its just me, but I thought collectively it was the worst officiating I have seen this season; inconsistent, hesitant and one-sided. The referee allowed Peterborough players to fall over or just stop running and gave them free kicks - the other way round we got nothing. JJ was fouled a few times but, again, nothing. He had no choice but to give the penalty it was that blatant but I was still surprised that he did. And when, on at least two occasions, we don't get free kicks to then signal advantage as if we've been fouling? And don't get me started on the assistants, who were slow in their decision making and didn't seem to have much grip on when a ball is in or out of play. Dreadful.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

WTF! Really? He was off it today, but he's having a cracking season. If you'd be happy to get shot with any fee 'a bonus' in your opinion, you've clearly not got a scooby. 

Sorry but I don’t accept your view. If his standard is according to you cracking then we have little chance of promotion 

13 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Tbf any different to the reaction of a lot of Oxford fans after we beat them !? I know and think 🧐 not.

A fair comment. I thought they looked a step above us.

I think most sensible folk would agree that whilst the score lines were the same the two games were completely different.

Oxford raced to an early 2:0 lead and then were under the cosh for most of the next 75 minutes especially in the second half when it was pretty much wave after wave of Derby attacks. Today, Peterborough were, IMO beyond much doubt the better team but they didn’t have us pinned back for the majority of the game in the same way we had Oxford.

I agree, they looked a step above us today but there is no way they battered us.

5 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Thought we deserved a point though I agree with most that Peterborough were the better team. Their ability to move the ball quickly, accurately and with purpose only highlighted our inability to do it. Their front players were outstanding. 

My only gripe, and maybe its just me, but I thought collectively it was the worst officiating I have seen this season; inconsistent, hesitant and one-sided. The referee allowed Peterborough players to fall over or just stop running and gave them free kicks - the other way round we got nothing. JJ was fouled a few times but, again, nothing. He had no choice but to give the penalty it was that blatant but I was still surprised that he did. And when, on at least two occasions, we don't get free kicks to then signal advantage as if we've been fouling? And don't get me started on the assistants, who were slow in their decision making and didn't seem to have much grip on when a ball is in or out of play. Dreadful.

I try not to slate the officials, but I agree. I think John-Jules was fouled a few times and got nothing, there was a wrestling match near the touchline that their cb started with Collins but somehow they got the foul, a TJJ shot deflected for a corner that all our players seemed adamant about and the ref gave a goal kick.

Not taking anything away from Peterborough, they’re a good side with pace and power who kept going and punished our fatigue, just don’t think the officiating was balanced and consistent either. 

24 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree, im not hating on him and will always want him to succeed whilst hes a ram but u look at the kids posh had terrorising us today u look at sibs contribution .. and todays not in isolation 

his problem is hes neither quick or strong.. if u have those attributes ur always a threat no matter how badly ur playing. For a clever / tecnical player hes not really any better than many in his genre.

as u say a few stella moments cant keep papering over general disappointment 

Was surprised Sibley came on when he did.  Would rather have seen Ward at that stage. Or Fornah, wherever he is. Less said about their second goal the better … 

2 hours ago, Somersall Ram said:

Sorry but the sooner we get an improvement on Max Bird the better. He was anonymous in this match. Poor work ethic and offers nothing going forward or back. If we got any fee for him I would class it as a 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I would vehemently disagree.

He was up against 3 athletic CMs today, with initially just Hourihane with him, then with Sibs and Tommo both playing as 8s.

He ran himself into the ground playing every minute of the last 3 games in 6 days.

Wasn't amazing today, but played pretty well and to suggest a poor work ethic is bizarre 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ditto almost all of that.

Reading back the last few pages most people can see P’boro are a good attacking side; if anything they were a bit wasteful and let us off the hook until the last 10 minutes.

We rode our luck though, thought we were going to get something, but just switched off a bit. If anything we should’ve tested their back line with crosses more, we too lacked accuracy on delivery and looked a little shot shy. But I’ve no real complaints, we’ve done well to get 3 points off them and I wouldn’t fancy playing them in any play offs; particularly over 2 legs.

Fortunately, the biggest plus is Warne’s post match comments, we’re not looking to sell; though I think there was a big clue recruitment won’t be easy. We do need more pace though.

This team is still going to be up there end of the season, today didn’t change that for me.