Wigan Athletic v Derby County

B4’s Sister

Thought we stood up to them physically to start with. They tried to dominate early on but we just kept playing better and better. We are no longer a weak team and first half yesterday was brilliant. 

If we can carry on in the same frame of mind we are in for a very interesting second half of the season. 

I would like to single out Ryan Nyambe who I thought was tremendous without having to resort to some of the more flashier defending moments Cashin does. Having not played for several weeks I thought he was superb. He is a great defender but I have been a bit critical of his work going forward previously. Yesterday, however, he was instrumental in our dominant 1st half, with some shrewd passing. Our defence looked so much stronger with him in the team.

Sorry but here’s the downside - a mention of Forest - as I sat watching Nyambe yesterday, I felt totally comfortable knowing the guy up against him didn’t stand a chance. The phrase “you’ll never beat Des Walker” came into my head. For those younger posters he was imperious for Forest for years and earnt this phrase. Brilliant to hear he has a new contract and we can rest easier.

If derby churn out more performances like the first 60 minutes yesterday then I’ll be back aboard the Warne train. That was complete domination and a travesty we only went in 1-0 up. Wigan lucky to have nil. 

it’s unreasonable to expect to see that level of performance for 90 minute after 90 minutes but we need to see that level of control mixed with some neat football much more regularly now to build on this and the good results. 

we could be 10 points clear with 4 matches left and I’d still assume we’d mess it up so I’m not getting carried away for a long time yet. 

10 hours ago, ap04 said:

Northampton-Blackpool-Vale were even better and Burton-Peterborough-Exeter-Orient as good (assuming Wigan are that poor).

Disagree. Northampton & Exeter gave us the freedom of PP and we promptly took it - they were both poor on the day. Burton & Orient we had spells of the game where we were second best despite both being low quality opposition - the 0-3 away results probably flattered us on both occasions. Vale was a dull & even game which we pinched late on. Peterborough & Blackpool we were clinical in both games in short bursts but they had a lot of the game overall.

Yesterday, 0-1 definitely flattered Wigan and the quality of our one touch play & control against a decent opponent was better than I'd seen from us this season. My only criticism would be some heavy touches in their final 3rd/poor finishing that prevented us deservedly beating them by 3 or 4. Combined with the intensity of the press/amount of forced turnovers & calmness when defending late on, it made for a more complete performance than any you've cited above.

Where did you get your stats that say Wigan are bottom 4 for xG?

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wigan were hopeless and only came forward with any purpose once they brought mcmanaman on and we fell back into our final third.

We weren't under any sustained pressure that required a huge defensive effort. That's the point being made.

From what I saw Wigan like to build from the back , that’s how they come forward, we just never allowed them to come forward with any purpose , in fact they even struggled to keep the ball off us in they’re own half , sometimes sides can only do what the other side allows , for me credit where it’s due , yesterday we dominated them for most of the game and never gave them any space and time to build anything or any forward momentum 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pinched from the Wigan forum.

Just shows appearances can be deceiving...before the game i looked down at their number 6 and commented " who's that dumpy little fu**er ?"... well I looked up his name after the match..E. Cashin...no me neither. What a game that lad had, never missed a header or tackle. Absolute mom by a mile and just shows not to judge a book and all that.

……………………(insert appropriate expletive here) 😁👍🐏

Just watched the matchday highlights. Not yet read this thread - may give it a miss as it’s Christmas 😉. My take was the togetherness at the end. I read on a recent thread someone saying that the players didn’t seem like they were happy. Certainly seemed together yesterday. The defenders and Wildsmith in particular were very happy with their 90+ minutes work.

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Just watched the matchday highlights. Not yet read this thread - may give it a miss as it’s Christmas 😉. My take was the togetherness at the end. I read on a recent thread someone saying that the players didn’t seem like they were happy. Certainly seemed together yesterday. The defenders and Wildsmith in particular were very happy with their 90+ minutes work.

Very much seemed like a unified defensive effort to me.

Are you softening on Warne like I am?

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

If derby churn out more performances like the first 60 minutes yesterday then I’ll be back aboard the Warne train. That was complete domination and a travesty we only went in 1-0 up. Wigan lucky to have nil. 

i

With our current unbeaten run should we not be back on board the Warne train by now? What more could they be doing given the accepted limitations of some of the squad? Definite progression  in performance in the last few games. More settled team selection and the individual improvement of players like Wilson gives hope that we can be more consistent.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For saying how poor you think Wigan are, they would be above all the teams you list except Peterborough and Blackpool if it wasnt for their points deduction.

Haven't you heard?

The EFL have decided to redraw the league tables this season, they will be based on xg instead of the ridiculous points thing. They're just deciding how to downgrade Wigan and Reading's xg, to account for their respective punishments.🤔

30 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

"Northampton & Exeter they were both poor on the day...Burton & Orient both being low quality opposition."

So these were poor but Wigan we made them look poor?

"Vale was a dull & even game Peterborough & Blackpool they had a lot of the game overall"

Except these are the league's top/5th/10th sides and Wigan just about the worst (and Port Vale was not even, watch the highlights).

"deservedly beating them by 3 or 4."

We had 5 chances more, one goal lead is about right. 3 or 4 goals would normally take 11 to 15 chances.

"Where did you get your stats that say Wigan are bottom 4 for xG?"

https://footystats.org/england/efl-league-one/xg  https://footballxg.com/xg-league-tables  https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/league-one-stats-2023-24-opta

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Foz's "goal". Still struggling to understand what Collo did wrong to give a FK to Wigan.

Watched it several times, It's as clear as the nose on the refs face, 2 players coming together in the 18 yard box and both fall over, Outside the box it's play on...a 2023 free kick...free kick my arse 🙄