You are a legend Mr Clowes. Now, please plan for the next stage

kevinhectoring

On 10/12/2023 at 10:55, Big Trav said:

I have heard that Clowes is looking for investment and in talks with 1 that I know of. A couple of American investors looking to get into football and turn Derby into the ‘next Wrexham’ with a certain Derby supporting global superstar as the face of the club. Clowes will not Sell unless he is involved in the running of the club still. 

Ah, the Tom Brady-esque 5% of someone else’s 10% stake of a club

Edited by tinman

12 hours ago, MadAmster said:

The title of the thread reads.... You are a legend Mr Clowes. Now, please plan for the next stage

If there is to be a "next stage", Mr Clowes will have the direction of the "next stage" firmly in his head and probably on paper as well. In which case he has already planned for the "next stage". Thinking there isn't a mid term plan in place is, IMO, disparaging towards David Clowes.

IMO, any next stage will require:

1. Promotion to the SBC and staying there the first season otherwise we won't be attractive to prospective buyers

2. Any new buyer having to commit, in the contract, to keep the club financially viable and insisting on the same when they sell it on

In the unlikely event that any buyer would sign up to point No 2, it would be subject to so many caveats, sub clauses and legal loopholes that it would never be water tight contractually or stand up to serious scrutiny. Just my opinion. 

On 07/12/2023 at 14:57, kevinhectoring said:

He will always be our hero.  

But here we are: a 60% chance of staying in this godforsaken league for at least another season. And as each year goes by, our club’s stock falls lower. 

And even when we get back to the championship, is DC the man to lead us to the PL? Nope.

I'm I alone in not being too bothered about getting into the Premier League? As it stands, you can't challenge for the title without billions, and the idea of every season being a relegation battle doesn't fill me with joy. Brighton have an appealing model, focussing on buying young talent, developing them and selling on, but Southampton have shown how hard that plan is to maintain.  And the idea of becoming a consortium club making money for some faceless investment group fills me with dread.

For the time being, I just want to see sustainability, a thriving academy, and a strong community presence, and I get the impression that's the current focus. Championship football will come sooner or later.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:41, MadAmster said:

If there's no pro club to play in it, the stadium would be bulldozed and the buyer would pay whatever the value of the land is. When you look at what PP cost to build, add in inflation, take away whatever depreciation due to age, add in L1 football and just above £20M is probably about right. Back in the PL, both the club and the stadium would be worth more than DC paid. So, not bold, just massaging figures and thoughts and coming to a possible value.

Not sure why the division that the team is in would make any difference to the value of the ground?

Could only see this being relevant if there were clauses in the lease that meant the rent was increased if the club was promoted.

36 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I'm I alone in not being too bothered about getting into the Premier League? As it stands, you can't challenge for the title without billions, and the idea of every season being a relegation battle doesn't fill me with joy. Brighton have an appealing model, focussing on buying young talent, developing them and selling on, but Southampton have shown how hard that plan is to maintain.  And the idea of becoming a consortium club making money for some faceless investment group fills me with dread.

For the time being, I just want to see sustainability, a thriving academy, and a strong community presence, and I get the impression that's the current focus. Championship football will come sooner or later.

I like the idea of going back to the 1997 season.  The idea of watching Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal in meaningful games every week is appealing.  But I hated the 2007/08 season with a passion and would rather the Championship to that.

If we were in the running to go to EPL I'd be dead in favour, but where we are now - as it is a world away - I'm with you.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:55, Big Trav said:

I have heard that Clowes is looking for investment and in talks with 1 that I know of. A couple of American investors looking to get into football and turn Derby into the ‘next Wrexham’ with a certain Derby supporting global superstar as the face of the club. Clowes will not Sell unless he is involved in the running of the club still. 

Global superstar eh? Do we have one? Niall Horan or Jack O’Connell are probably the biggest stars unless TS is a closet fan

1 hour ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Nope , not alone , I’ve already stated that since the meltdown Im enjoying going to games in a way that i havnt for years , im engaged and enjoying the ongoing fight back , I don’t need us to be playing prem football against prem teams , for over 55 years derby have been my team and derby fans my tribe , that’s all I need and being competitive at whatever level we are and striving for better does the trick for me , I will be at pp again on Saturday desperate for a win and buzzing if we get one 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Global superstar eh? Do we have one? Niall Horan or Jack O’Connell are probably the biggest stars unless TS is a closet fan

I think it's a nod towards George Clooney who is a self-confessed Derby County fan. Imagine both Timothy Dalton and George Clooney at the helm, rather than stir the pot, we would definitely shake things up. 

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Nope , not alone , I’ve already stated that since the meltdown Im enjoying going to games in a way that i havnt for years , im engaged and enjoying the ongoing fight back , I don’t need us to be playing prem football against prem teams , for over 55 years derby have been my team and derby fans my tribe , that’s all I need and being competitive at whatever level we are and striving for better does the trick for me , I will be at pp again on Saturday desperate for a win and buzzing if we get one 🤷🏻‍♂️

We rarely agree but here I do. I guess we just have to accept though that some fans want to have a billionaire owner, Premier League & European football and anything less is a failure to get angry about and find scapegoats. Personally I just like to have a team and to watch football. I'm a simple man (insert your own joke here)

1 hour ago, CBX1985 said:

I like the idea of going back to the 1997 season.  The idea of watching Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal in meaningful games every week is appealing.  But I hated the 2007/08 season with a passion and would rather the Championship to that.

If we were in the running to go to EPL I'd be dead in favour, but where we are now - as it is a world away - I'm with you.

I don't care too much about "watching Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal". I only Match of The Day (fast forwarding through the the pundits bits of course) for something to watch.

I yearn for the day when the "big clubs" disappear off to some mega bucks super league. 

2 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

51 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

We rarely agree but here I do. I guess we just have to accept though that some fans want to have a billionaire owner, Premier League & European football and anything less is a failure to get angry about and find scapegoats. Personally I just like to have a team and to watch football. I'm a simple man (insert your own joke here)

I’m very much on a similar page, have been for years and have occasionally voiced it on here. I think that 2008 season scarred me in some way.

Going up to the Premier League with a sustainable model akin to those teams other posters regularly suggest (I’m thinking Brighton/Brentford) isn’t beyond possible with time and patience, my concern is just being there to make up the numbers in that second section of the league. 

It’s a tough one to rationalise at times I guess, a seat (sort of) at the top table brings riches and prestige plus the potential for a higher calibre of player, but realistically are we ever going to break into that top 6 bracket? Weirdly the optimism I normally have escapes me in answering that question. 
My personal enjoyment comes from seeing the team win more than it loses, I enjoyed being a big fish in the championship for so many years and competing near the top (admittedly then suffering the pain of missing out on promotions). 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s a tough one to rationalise at times I guess, a seat (sort of) at the top table brings riches and prestige plus the potential for a higher calibre of player, but realistically are we ever going to break into that top 6 bracket?

In some ways it was a curse that Leicester actually lived that dream.

1) because it puts hope into everyone that it's not impossible, but mainly because

2) the "big six" saw it as a warning and will do anything to stop that ever happening again

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

I’d like to think if we did get back to the Prem we would have a more astute manager than wee Billy and the signings would be better than Clod and that Scottish striker whose name escapes me

Kenny Miller? Utter waste of money. Him and Robbie Earnshaw - £5.75m, 5 league goals between them, and we made a loss on both players!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Derby_County_F.C._season#In

That list of incoming players is a horrorshow... can't see how anyone could do worse.