Derby vs Fleetwood Town

B4’s Sister

Such is the way of football, for younger fans this is more than likely the only cup competition we will ever see Derby compete in with a good chance of winning it.

I was disappointed that we were knocked out early last year but understood why, with our small squad. I don’t really understand sneering at the competition. 

If I lived in Derby I'd go. Interesting to see the young players in a competitive fixture and see how they get on in comparison to the first teamers. I watched the U21's last night and was pretty impressed. I'm not sure the 'gulf' between that and crappy third division 'mens football' is as big as some make out. Yes the pros are stronger and more canny (think Collins) but less technically proficient (again think Collins)  

21 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

If I lived in Derby I'd go. Interesting to see the young players in a competitive fixture and see how they get on in comparison to the first teamers. I watched the U21's last night and was pretty impressed. I'm not sure the 'gulf' between that and crappy third division 'mens football' is as big as some make out. Yes the pros are stronger and more canny (think Collins) but less technically proficient (again think Collins)  

I agree with this.

It's also important for the young players to get used to playing against men's teams because they're going to have to get used to it or find a different career. At least in competition like this they're less likely to get burned than going into the team in a league match and I still fail to see the 2-4 minutes as sun as being that useful for most of them.

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

It's the mental side which they will often lack. Positioning and movement is a part of it, which is where the 'coached through a game' by a senior player alongside them comes into it. But, an overlooked part is their psychological sense of belonging in the first team picture, which can be a massive hurdle. It's this which allows some players to settle in the first team from a young age (such as Hughes, Huddlestone and Barnes), whereas others aren't ready until they're much older. Short loans, even to non-League, help them adjust.

I'm interested in the competition while we're in it,  but wouldn't give a toss for more than maybe 5 minutes at most if we got knocked out.

It would be nice to win it, but I wouldn't consider winning it anything worthy of celebration just a largely insignificant footnote in our history.

Probably would have gone tonight but may need to be available at a moment's notice for gravely-ill-in-law assistance.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's the mental side which they will often lack. Positioning and movement is a part of it, which is where the 'coached through a game' by a senior player alongside them comes into it. But, an overlooked part is their psychological sense of belonging in the first team picture, which can be a massive hurdle. It's this which allows some players to settle in the first team from a young age (such as Hughes, Huddlestone and Barnes), whereas others aren't ready until they're much older. Short loans, even to non-League, help them adjust.

I remember talking to Cashin and his family about this when he had recently broke through to the first team - and was playing very well at the time - but he still didn't quite feel he belonged there yet. 

He is a natural leader yet the doubts remained. 

They are all young lads, and even the gnarled older professionals guiding them are little more than kids themselves! 😉 

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's a competition we're eligible to enter, so try to win it or progress as far as possible.

Potentially winning the LDV Vans/Johnston paints/pizza cup/Swis Tony's quality used cars trophy is a reality of being in League 1.

I'm not excited by the competition but I'm not distressed that we're in it.

“…winning the trophy 🏆 is like…making lurve to a beautiful woman…” so I’ll be there. 😲

Just bought TV pass. I’m surprisingly excited as the Twin Towers beckon. Each to their own of course but looking forward to the game. It’s Derby County. Mentioned previously there wouldn’t be many not weighing up their travel arrangements south if we made it to the final. 40k for sure 🐏 

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If you're not into the Swiss Tony's Quality Used Cars Cup, there's England v Scotland women's nation league on the telly.

Or you could have that on with the sound turned down and listen to radio derby for the car lot cup match.

Not going tonight so I’ll have the England game on mute on the TV and Derby on RamsTV on my laptop. Hopefully plenty to cheer in one of the games.

33 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If you're not into the Swiss Tony's Quality Used Cars Cup, there's England v Scotland women's nation league on the telly.

Or you could have that on with the sound turned down and listen to radio derby for the car lot cup match.

Watching Derby is very much like trying to make love to a beautiful woman...

You've got to dream big, 

Give it your best shot and then wait for the inevitable disappointment.  

swiss-swiss-toni.gif.7b445ca308437cdf5172f0549ea925bd.gif

Edited by Steve How Hard?