Comparisons

On the Ram Page

A comparison of the League Tables as at 29 November 2022 & 2023 makes interesting reading:

2022                  PLD   W    D   L      F       A         GD        P

Plymouth           19      13   4   2      39    22        17         43

Ipswich              19      12   5   2      38     19        19         41

Sheff W              19      12   4  3       35    16        19         40

Peterb                19      10   1   8       34    23       11          31

Bolton                 18       9   4   5       21    15         6          31

Barnsley             18       9    3   6       23   15         8          30

Portsmouth        17       7    8   2       26   18         8          29

Derby                 18       8    5   5       23   16         7          29

2023                  PLD   W    D   L      F       A         GD        P

Bolton               18      12   3    3     37     18        19         39

Portsmouth      18      11   6    1      29     16        13         39

Oxford              18      11   3    4     31      18        13         36

Stevenage        20     10  6    4     29      19        10         36

Peterb               19     10  5    4     37      20        17         35

Derby                18     10  3    5     31       16        15         33 

Barnsley            18      9  4    5     34      20        14         31

Blackpool          20     8   6    6    33       25         5         30

Admittedly, you can read anything into stats to back up your own position but with a fairly positive (but realistic) outlook, I can see some positives. At this stage last year we were 11 and 13 points behind the top two, this year currently only 6 points. Last year, I think everyone would agree, Ipswich and Plymouth were the outstanding teams throughout the year, rightly gaining automatic promotion.

The consensus of opinion is that Derby haven't played as well as they might at present but are still 4 points better off than last year. Surprising, having lost our talisman McGoldrick, we have scored 8 more goals than at this stage last year, conceding the same as last year (16). Both Bolton & Barnsley have also scored a lot more goals too, helped by two huge wins.

My conclusions: things are no where near as bad as is being made out. Hopefully there will be a lot more goals to come together with an uplift in "exciting" performances. Hopefully we can keep hold of the players we want to retain in January and bring in a couple who can really improve the team, to the next level.

My positive spin - I know the doubters will use the stats to put a different view on things. 

19 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

The consensus of opinion is that Derby haven't played as well as they might at present

No it isn't.

Poor recruiting in the summer, lack of effort from many players (100% agree with the comment on Hourihane from @Gee SCREAMER !! - he is stealing a living at the moment), often bewildering team selection and lack of tactical ability to break down teams who come to defend. All of these have led us to get pretty much what we've deserved, indeed it could be said (I won't claim it as a concensus) that had NML not had a bit of a purple patch we'd be showing a position that is probably a fairer reflection of the standard of football we have returned.

24 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

A comparison of the League Tables as at 29 November 2022 & 2023 makes interesting reading:

Admittedly, you can read anything into stats to back up your own position but with a fairly positive (but realistic) outlook, I can see some positives. At this stage last year we were 11 and 13 points behind the top two, this year currently only 6 points. Last year, I think everyone would agree, Ipswich and Plymouth were the outstanding teams throughout the year, rightly gaining automatic promotion.

The consensus of opinion is that Derby haven't played as well as they might at present but are still 4 points better off than last year. Surprising, having lost our talisman McGoldrick, we have scored 8 more goals than at this stage last year, conceding the same as last year (16). Both Bolton & Barnsley have also scored a lot more goals too, helped by two huge wins.

My conclusions: things are no where near as bad as is being made out. Hopefully there will be a lot more goals to come together with an uplift in "exciting" performances. Hopefully we can keep hold of the players we want to retain in January and bring in a couple who can really improve the team, to the next level.

My positive spin - I know the doubters will use the stats to put a different view on things. 

A good post and the difference in terms of Derby are we have managed to get 2 more wins out of potential draws the losers are the same.

I do feel this season the league does feel easier and if we do not gain promotion it would be a massive blow to be honest

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Excellent post @On the Ram Page and very helpful evidence to fuel the debate…one key caveat is the fixtures ie Have we played against a comparable homogeneity of teams. Should be random and therefore of negligible difference season on season; detractors will argue teams generally are poorer this season so not “like with like”. But, a very helpful tool nonetheless. 

I feel a bit more optimistic this year than last, I suppose by this time last year I felt that the autos were gone already, 2 from 3 and we weren't consistent enough to get a 95-96 type run to hunt them down. This year I think we aren't out of the autos as yet, in fact 6 points is achievable especially as those above us dont look as strong as Plymouth, Ipswich and Wendies.

Last year it felt more transitional, once the blind (yet glorious) optimism of early season had ebbed away, it was always going to be one step forward, one step back as a new team found its way. This year, although there are questions over recruitment, tactics and the value of some players ... (sorry just had a moment there, this stuff is so what we should be discussing after the last few years!) ... a team is there, it just needs to go in the direction we need it to. I get the feeling that a 'click' is more likely this year than last, perhaps that one signing out of the blue in Jan and that will be it?

Last season we were very hastily put together whilst this season we have invested a lot of money ( or committed to paying it) so the improvement is modest. Yes it’s a poor league and we have a big squad by other clubs options yet it seems that the current big improvements have been made by Bolton and Portsmouth to a lesser extent. 

2 hours ago, David said:

I see this said for every league in every season. Is it poor or is it just expectations not being met?

Very rare do you hear anyone say it's a tough league with so many good teams.

Bit like when we were at the top end of the Championship (yes, it did happen) and every year it was "we need to get up this season as the teams coming down are so strong".

It seems to me that the vast majority’s views are being influenced by a couple of posters views and dislike of our management and players. And it also appears that if we won 5 nil every week they would not be satisfied. perhaps a reality check and look in mirror would bring the much needed evidence that we are in division 3 and lucky to still be going.but it’s a free world and opinions are a personal choice. I’m sure there are rams supporters looking on laughing at all this. just remember it’s only a game not everyone can win and there’s far more to life than just football. 

37 minutes ago, islandram said:

It seems to me that the vast majority’s views are being influenced by a couple of posters views and dislike of our management and players. And it also appears that if we won 5 nil every week they would not be satisfied. perhaps a reality check and look in mirror would bring the much needed evidence that we are in division 3 and lucky to still be going.but it’s a free world and opinions are a personal choice. I’m sure there are rams supporters looking on laughing at all this. just remember it’s only a game not everyone can win and there’s far more to life than just football. 

You're probably right, however a small minority can be very vocal which can possibly skew the mood.

I use probably and possibly there to cover myself from requests for factual evidence. But I do agree. 

Attendances for me are the biggest sign of discontent. If you gauged the mood online, 10k wouldn't be a surprise. 

Reading, under 9k on Tuesday night. 

35 minutes ago, islandram said:

There you were talking sense, then you ruin it with your last sentence.

Who is it on here that, from time to time, produces a version of the league table with our results against each side home and away? I would love to see that now. Last season it was a really useful visual reference, and clearly showed our lack of points away from home against the better sides. This season, I get the sense that we have already played nearly all of the top half (?) meaning that the run into the end of the year should be against (theoretically) weaker opposition, and presents a good opportunity to go on a run of league results- which is precisely what we need.

And yes, I can’t be bothered to build it myself 😆