Bristol Rovers - 25 November

B4’s Sister

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Ideally we could change Smith and Hourihane out the team but don’t think we have the personnel too unless he gets really brave and plays someone like Robinson. Let’s hope Smith isn’t badly hurt but is missing for a couple of games to get Fornah in the side again just to break up that horrible midfield partnership. 

i think this is the problem,we have a three stranger midfield,there isn't any partnership in it

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I missed the game yesterday as I am away but most of the reports sent to me suggest we were dreadful for 70 minutes and fortunate to win the points, is that the case ? 
Chris Martin did ok I assume ? 
several interesting results around the division yesterday I thought

It was pretty turgid stuff for the majority of the game but the goal transformed it.

Apart from one lay off, CM had been completely dominated by Nelson.

One of those win ugly days.

1 hour ago, McArthur Park said:

For me the performance didn't really matter that much yesterday, it was all about getting the win for B4 and getting into the top six, so job done in that respect. Something I would like to say though is when Bradley was about to come on, there was an audible groan from those around me. I get that he hasn't had the best of starts, but I just wish we could be a bit more supportive, rather then expecting the worst from him every time. A confidence boost will surely help him improve his game, and isn't that what we all want really?

It reminded me of when Roos was here and some of our 'fans' used to sarcastically cheer whenever he caught a cross. Truly weird behaviour and I've never understood it.

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I missed the game yesterday as I am away but most of the reports sent to me suggest we were dreadful for 70 minutes and fortunate to win the points, is that the case ? 

I don't know that we were lucky to win the points in the sense of them being better than us or anything, just that we spent large chunks of the game getting nowhere and you wondered where a goal was going to come from (for either side). I'd say that we shaded a game of limited chances and the slightly better of two mediocre sides won it. Looked like we had thrown a couple of points away when we gave a soft free kick away at the end and then defended it badly to give them an equaliser, but to be fair, at least we kept going and one or two players gambled to try and get the win. Fornah's surge and pull back being exactly what was needed.

53 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Nope , far from dreadful 

We've just beaten a team that were unbeaten in their previous 6 games and were set up deliberately to spoil and stop us from playing according to their manager. 

I for one am happy that we managed to get the 3 points despite their tactics and close the gap on some of those above us.

It was great to see so many stand and applaud for B4 and can only think that like me, loads were clock watching and started clapping as soon as it hit 38 minutes. 

I think that saying that CM beat Bradley in the air for the goal is slightly harsh. We set up wrong to defend the free kick, Hourihane seemed to be marking CM and Bradley and Cash seemed to be marking the space behind. Surely with his height, Bradley should be in front of the first striker, which would mean that the free kick would have to go well over his head, taking out any players just behind him.

6 hours ago, winktheram said:

Not sure it's entirely the get it out wide tactic, more about the slow, old and seemingly 80% effort of Hourahaine and Smith. It's such a shame Liam Thompson has a long injury as you'd have thought he'd walk into this midfield. And how Fornah doesn't start is beyond me - Warne's lack of trust in the young and inexperienced over underperforming seasoned pros is sometimes baffling. 

Apart from Liam Thompson wouldn’t simply walk into this team unless Warne runs out of midfielders to pick instead. Its how it happened last time, and us why Fornah isn’t getting a start, maybe even why Kane Wilson keeps starting on the bench.

3 hours ago, McArthur Park said:

For me the performance didn't really matter that much yesterday, it was all about getting the win for B4 and getting into the top six, so job done in that respect. Something I would like to say though is when Bradley was about to come on, there was an audible groan from those around me. I get that he hasn't had the best of starts, but I just wish we could be a bit more supportive, rather then expecting the worst from him every time. A confidence boost will surely help him improve his game, and isn't that what we all want really?

It's a fair point, but we expect the worst from him every time because generally he gives the worst of him every time. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

First 45 was woeful, dire and a dirge.

Better second, got the goal, controlled the game until we switched to 5 at the back, which invited Bristol on. They undeservedly equalised, but good on Fornah and NML.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

No fortune involved really. 

They came for a point and nearly got it from a goal out of nothing. 

They certainly cant have any complaints with the result.

Martin was pretty much anonymous apart from the goal, Nelson had him in his back pocket.

13 hours ago, Gaspode said:

The opposition midfielder looking better than any of ours is becoming a common theme - too often we surrender the area due to Warne’s ‘get it out wide at all costs’ tactics. I’m pleased you worked out where Korey was playing yesterday - I hadn’t got a clue who should have been doing what - and it seemed a lot of the players were equally as confused…..

I am not sure it’s a tactics thing. Our midfield works sometimes - as against Barnsley (helped when cash and Bradley used them ! ) but as a unit there isn’t quite the right mix. Smithy is a good rater and quite deft but gets out muscled against certain teams. Conner drifts around, quite precise and intelligent but not exactly a dynamo and Birdy is on another level but too much of the time he’s on his own mentally.

I think we badly need some pure power - I’m joking in a way, but a league 1 2020’s version of Gerard, Lampard, Robson. Front foot, bit of vision, touch, give and goes ( anyone got a fat bank balance 🤣

3 hours ago, sage said:

We played well from the start of the 2nd half to going 3 at the back.

Both our goals were fortunate, they hot the inside of the post and could have had a penalty 

Woooah .. “fortunate” .. urrr no 2 strikers (Collo and Fornah) in exactly the right place to score from an excellent cross leaving a covering defender in the poo who then did the job for them. Followed by excellent individual play leading to a cut back to another player in the right position who scored well.  No fortune there. Just good attacking play. And the penalty ? More like a gold medal for a wannabe Tom Daley. .. should have been booked without a single shadow of a doubt. Right in front of me blatant cheating. 

So they hit the post .. tough luck for them, on a break against the run of play. They missed a chance boo hoo.

It wasn’t a great game and neither team showed their best but 2-1 was a pretty fair reflection of play to my mind. I didn’t enjoy the game that much, we can play better, not over excited but 3 points well  earned ta very much 

3 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

I may have been watching a different Chris Martin but I rarely saw him dominate his centre half opponent when he played with us. He did enough, won about half of his physical  1 to 1 battles, but brought (and still does) so much more to the fulcrum role -awareness of colleagues, deft layoffs and touches setting up moves, excellent finishes. He was given one half chance all game and nailed it.

He brings something to any team, but one which is set up with intelligent and energetic midfield and wide runners fit him like a glove. 

It goes without saying that DCFC 2023 is about as far from that sort of team as you could get !

Always struggled with the bruisers.  McClarens tactic against the Hanleys of the world, was to let Martin battle away without much joy till 60 minutes and then bring on the often maligned Sammon to knock crap out of them and run them into uncomfortable positions leaving space for Martin and midfield runners against tired defenders.  Worked well normally.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Always struggled with the bruisers.  McClarens tactic against the Hanleys of the world, was to let Martin battle away without much joy till 60 minutes and then bring on the often maligned Sammon to knock crap out of them and run them into uncomfortable positions leaving space for Martin and midfield runners against tired defenders.  Worked well normally.

So get back McClaren and Martin, then we might play some decent football

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Don't know about the pen, but both our goals were helped by woeful defending.

Another day, we score zip from those chances.

It is a pity that you and others do not appear give credit for the brilliant work of Mendez-Lang and Fornah putting the defenders under extreme pressure.