Bristol Rovers - 25 November

B4’s Sister

2 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I can’t say I was particularly impressed yesterday. Wildsmith, Nelson, Cashin and NML did well but the rest were pretty ‘meh’.

I don’t understand playing Smith in an attacking midfield role - just play Sibley or Fornah there as they are far more mobile, as was demonstrated. 

I thought their number 6 looked a far better midfielder than any of ours. As for putting Bradley on, it’s getting tiresome and never works - it just hands impetus to the opposition and normally results in a goal! Not a fan.

Lovely round of applause for B4. Well done all. 

UTR 🐏🐏

The opposition midfielder looking better than any of ours is becoming a common theme - too often we surrender the area due to Warne’s ‘get it out wide at all costs’ tactics. I’m pleased you worked out where Korey was playing yesterday - I hadn’t got a clue who should have been doing what - and it seemed a lot of the players were equally as confused…..

A few words on the referee, given the officials only seem to get a mention when they have been poor.

I thought he was one of the better ones this season and, on the whole, had a good game. My only criticism was his reluctance to issue any yellow cards. I thought Martin was lucky not to get booked and he should really have put the goal keepers name in his book for the persistent time wasting. What was that all about anyway? What was the point of such blatant time wasting in the first half? It’s not as if they needed to disrupt our momentum.

37 minutes ago, Archied said:

... I never heard boos at half time but maybe I wasn’t looking for them , I did hear Paul warnes derby army ringing out from the south stand which nobody mentions so maybe the warne out number are not as some would have us believe,

I too wasn't looking for them... but I heard them.
I agree, it didn't warrant booing in my book (But then it never does, as I don't!!).
I'd also agree that, by the volume (of the boos), numbers were low, in comparison to the overall attendance figures.

As for your comments re Paul Warne's Derby Army...
Apparently, those that do like to boo have oft been advised to boo at HT and/or FT, and leave the in-game noises to be positive, so maybe it could be argued they "did it right"?  If there is a right way to boo, that is?  I'm not convinced, myself. 

🐏

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think Hourihane should be fined every time he’s found to be further back than our centre backs. Ridiculous how often he’s just collecting the ball behind everyone to pass it on 5 yards. 

It means there is 1 fewer option in midfield for the defence to pass it forwards to. 

He is stealing a living right now.

31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

A few words on the referee, given the officials only seem to get a mention when they have been poor.

I thought he was one of the better ones this season and, on the whole, had a good game. My only criticism was his reluctance to issue any yellow cards. I thought Martin was lucky not to get booked and he should really have put the goal keepers name in his book for the persistent time wasting. What was that all about anyway? What was the point of such blatant time wasting in the first half? It’s not as if they needed to disrupt our momentum.

9 mins seemed a little egregious as that rule about mental added time seems to have been forgotten again. 

58 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The opposition midfielder looking better than any of ours is becoming a common theme - too often we surrender the area due to Warne’s ‘get it out wide at all costs’ tactics. I’m pleased you worked out where Korey was playing yesterday - I hadn’t got a clue who should have been doing what - and it seemed a lot of the players were equally as confused…..

Not sure it's entirely the get it out wide tactic, more about the slow, old and seemingly 80% effort of Hourahaine and Smith. It's such a shame Liam Thompson has a long injury as you'd have thought he'd walk into this midfield. And how Fornah doesn't start is beyond me - Warne's lack of trust in the young and inexperienced over underperforming seasoned pros is sometimes baffling. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

It made no sense yesterday. Nelson had Martin in his pocket and Rovers were toothless.

Bradley immediately assumed Martin duties and no one jumped against CM for the goal.

When your central pairing is performing well why complicate things?

And it's not just the bringing an extra centre half on, it's all the other changes we seem to make at the same time to accommodate it - Niambe going across to left wingback, Sibley into midfield, Wilson dropping back to wingback etc.  I know it was slightly forced due to Bird going off, but it just disrupts the entire backline unnecessarily.

24 minutes ago, winktheram said:

Not sure it's entirely the get it out wide tactic, more about the slow, old and seemingly 80% effort of Hourahaine and Smith. It's such a shame Liam Thompson has a long injury as you'd have thought he'd walk into this midfield. And how Fornah doesn't start is beyond me - Warne's lack of trust in the young and inexperienced over underperforming seasoned pros is sometimes baffling. 

Spot on.

Came with a decent reputation, gets around the pitch well in front of the back four,  my man of the match against Blackpool where he seemed to have a bit of a swagger about him, decent on the ball but I never quite got the plan of playing him with Smith.

Then seemed to get the role of some kind of headless chicken pressing midfielder chasing down opposition full backs, maximum mileage, minimal impact.

Substituted at half time against Cheltenham, substituted at half time against Shrewsbury been on the bench since then, now seems well down the pecking order in midfield.

…………….shame.

I also didn't think the first half was the worst football I'd ever seen, but we were certainly too passive, and poor with both execution and decision making in the final third. 

Difference first half to second half as I saw it was we moved the ball more quickly, and Smith got further up the pitch. I agree with most that the Smith/Hourihane partnership is too hit and miss to be the best solution and hopefully Fornah's cameo will persuade Warne to shake it up for Tuesday. 

I'd like to see that 2nd half tackle on Bird again - it brought Bird down but it may well have been a well-timed challenge and the ref got the decision right. First half both Sibley and Collins blazed over when they should have at least been crossing hard and low along the 6 yard line. I thought Warne did well to persevere with Sibs after HT because he improved massively and went from a 4 to a 6.5. Collins had one of 'those' days unfortunately.

NML's cross for the first goal was an object lesson to his teammates : I reckon we get to the byline more than any team in the division, but all too often the resultant cross or pass is poorly executed. 

I felt like throttling whoever gave away the freekick that led to their equaliser. I knew exactly what would happen as a result. Giving clumsy freekicks around our own penalty area has cost us dearly in recent seasons under all managers and the players really need to be alert to the problem. Fortunately, they reacted well, heads didn't go down and for once we punished Rovers for their own sloppy defending. B4 would have loved that I'm sure.

Wildsmith impeccable as per, Nelson and Cashin dominated, Bird worked his socks off in both defence and attack, NML was always a threat, and Fornah and Wilson gave us something extra when they came on.

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I also didn't think the first half was the worst football I'd ever seen, but we were certainly too passive, and poor with both execution and decision making in the final third. 

Difference first half to second half as I saw it was we moved the ball more quickly, and Smith got further up the pitch. I agree with most that the Smith/Hourihane partnership is too hit and miss to be the best solution and hopefully Fornah's cameo will persuade Warne to shake it up for Tuesday. 

I'd like to see that 2nd half tackle on Bird again - it brought Bird down but it may well have been a well-timed challenge and the ref got the decision right. First half both Sibley and Collins blazed over when they should have at least been crossing hard and low along the 6 yard line. I thought Warne did well to persevere with Sibs after HT because he improved massively and went from a 4 to a 6.5. Collins had one of 'those' days unfortunately.

NML's cross for the first goal was an object lesson to his teammates : I reckon we get to the byline more than any team in the division, but all too often the resultant cross or pass is poorly executed. 

I felt like throttling whoever gave away the freekick that led to their equaliser. I knew exactly what would happen as a result. Giving clumsy freekicks around our own penalty area has cost us dearly in recent seasons under all managers and the players really need to be alert to the problem. Fortunately, they reacted well, heads didn't go down and for once we punished Rovers for their own sloppy defending. B4 would have loved that I'm sure.

Wildsmith impeccable as per, Nelson and Cashin dominated, Bird worked his socks off in both defence and attack, NML was always a threat, and Fornah and Wilson gave us something extra when they came on.

It was NML which was why it was especially nice he got the winner.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I too wasn't looking for them... but I heard them.
I agree, it didn't warrant booing in my book (But then it never does, as I don't!!).
I'd also agree that, by the volume (of the boos), numbers were low, in comparison to the overall attendance figures.

As for your comments re Paul Warne's Derby Army...
Apparently, those that do like to boo have oft been advised to boo at HT and/or FT, and leave the in-game noises to be positive, so maybe it could be argued they "did it right"?  If there is a right way to boo, that is?  I'm not convinced, myself. 

🐏

There was one really weird solo loud boo behind us that really confused everyone and made us laugh

7 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Just me who enjoyed yesterday then? I actually also thought we played very well in spells. Some last ditch defending in the first half but other than that we were totally in control 

I thought it was alright, not a classic and not as bad as some are making out, I posted during the match there were some promising moments of build up particularly down the left with Sibley and NML involved but the lads just didn’t find that final ball or bit of composure.

On reflection I think my biggest frustration is how profligate we are from set pieces, but I love a scrappy, hard fought win (or any Derby win for that matter) and that’s what we got.  

First half was a bit turgid, but there was many promising moments (down left flank in particular) screwed up by absolutely dire crossing. Felt a bit sorry for Collins as he was often in the box where needed but Sibley (in particular) hit it nowhere near anyone. Better delivery and it might have been a different game (half).

Second half, amongst many things, the delivery was better.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree. The first half was pretty dire (but not quite as bad as some are describing it). Two poor league one sides showing little invention and cancelling each other out although I also had Bristol slightly ahead on points at the break (and not just because of them hitting the post). Pre-match, I predicted 2:2 amongst the group I sit with. At half time I revised my guess to 0:0.

Neither team seemed to have the ability to convert the few half chances so it was quite appropriate that the first was an own goal. Having said that though, credit to NML for beating his man and putting in a dangerous cross that, although it didn’t reach a Derby player, was very difficult for the defenders to handle.

The second half was a big upgrade but still not great entertainment until the final 10 minutes (plus half an hour of time added on).

A lot was made on RD of winning three league games on the bounce but, they were all of course at home. If we can back them up with a win on Tuesday (and then ideally a win against Orient) my feelings for our chances will move a little more from hope to expectation.

COYR.

We’ve just got to be in the top 6 or very close to it January then strengthen for the final push. We weren’t great but overall we were still better than Bristol and deserved the, this off the back of 3 very good and entertaining home performances, need to get that early season away form back I agree.

This league is wide open and I expect top 6 minimum whoever is in charge, and I think we’re capable even with Warne in charge.