Bristol Rovers - 25 November

B4’s Sister

4 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Did I call him silly? So you think we are playing well and dominating games because I don’t. Silly me.

Despite what any of us think on they’re performance they are winning games so personally I’m not going to slate them or warne , if we manage to sign Declan rice anytime soon and leave him on the bench I might be a bit more concerned,,,,, results results results🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Just because we're winning doesn't mean we can't improve. Did you call Pep silly for signing Haaland? They'd already won the league.

I take it the window was open and he had some big bucks burning a hole in his pocket

13 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

But still no "credit" for Fornah and Mendez-Laing?

You make its sound so easy, was the defender for first left or right footed? There were two Derby players waiting for the ball if he missed it. As Shaun Barker described it, there was not much the defender could do but swing a leg at it.

Your comment on the second suggests woeful defending it was not!!! 

QED

Sorry, what have you proven with your QED?

Ok, both runs were good insofar as they delivered crosses and pull backs that stayed in play and didn't sail over everyone's head.

In fact fornahs looked as though he had spotted NML so was additionally intentionally accurate as opposed to being "put into an area".

I am content with my description of the subsequent events on both those attacks, as I include the keeper as a defender and thought the second looked an eminently saveable shot that he made a bad error in trying to kick it away. I agree with Shaun Barker that all the defender could do on the first goal was swing a leg. However he swung the wrong one. A 50:50 chance. 

I haven't said anywhere that we didn't deserve the win. Can't from what little of the game I saw. However, I stand by that both our goals had an element of fortune. You choosing to disagree is your right but doesn't prove anything.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Despite what any of us think on they’re performance they are winning games so personally I’m not going to slate them or warne , if we manage to sign Declan rice anytime soon and leave him on the bench I might be a bit more concerned,,,,, results results results🤷‍♂️

Now your being silly you certainly don’t need Declan Rice to get out of this division just 3 decent midfielders who are also mobile.

We are now winning games and the cry is we are not controlling games , the midfield is not working and needs changing , well we have players for whatever reason are at stages in they’re careers where they are pretty much league one standard playing against other league one players , I think we have enough quality to be winning games enough to go up this season , I don’t think we have the quality and quantity to be controlling games week in week out ,

interested to hear the which players in our squad should be getting picked and why they will go out and control games in the manner and regularity some seem to expect us to do as a given 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Now your being silly you certainly don’t need Declan Rice to get out of this division just 3 decent midfielders who are also mobile.

Ok so who are the midfield we are going to put out that are going to control games regularly because I personally don’t see we have that available with any certainty, at this point I’m happy to put out a team that wins games and gets us up

46 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ok so who are the midfield we are going to put out that are going to control games regularly because I personally don’t see we have that available with any certainty, at this point I’m happy to put out a team that wins games and gets us up

Have you seen the standard of this League? I think we have better players than Smith at the club for a start.

12 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Have you seen the standard of this League? I think we have better players than Smith at the club for a start.

Ok so who is the midfield you choose that you are pretty certain will control games 

Edited by Archied

Have just checked our last 4 home games , we have won them ,,, 11 for 1 against ?
im not quite ready to slate our midfield and certainly not to the extent that smith and hourihanne get slated by some , jeez they are often so derided that it’s impossible we don’t have better players at the club to take they’re place ,,,, really folks 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Like I said I think it’s time to try Bird Fornah and Sibley.

How certain are you those 3 will control games ?
What roles are you playing them in?

they certainly have some attributes that smith and hourihanne lack but by the same token they lack some of the composure , experience and passing the two they replace have , im not sure those 3 control games any better than what we do now but it’s opinions 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

10 hours ago, Archied said:

How certain are you those 3 will control games ?
What roles are you playing them in?

they certainly have some attributes that smith and hourihanne lack but by the same token they lack some of the composure , experience and passing the two they replace have , im not sure those 3 control games any better than what we do now but it’s opinions 🤷🏻‍♂️

We will never know unless he try’s it and I know we have won 4 on the spin and we are getting in a good position but surely it’s not wrong to want more from this team especially the midfield 3?

34 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

We will never know unless he try’s it and I know we have won 4 on the spin and we are getting in a good position but surely it’s not wrong to want more from this team especially the midfield 3?

There’s nothing wrong with it but on the run of form we are in I personally wouldn’t be putting out an experimental midfield 3 unless I was thinking that that combination looked a big upgrade , I would do as warne is doing and switching some in game to see how blends work in situations,

don’t get me wrong , im not saying we shouldn’t always be looking to improve but I just feel our midfield are getting bit over criticised, there’s a lot to be said for getting the job done and they are at this point and could even improve ,

where I think you are right is I feel we have good squad strength in that area now and will need to use them all over a long season with injuries , form , suspensions and tired legs 

Edited by Archied

Just a comment on this midfield controlling games ideal. I thought the Port Vale midfield last night were neat and tidy passers, retaining the ball well but they created little as by the time they released the ball forward our defence was well set. 

We all know players like Bird, Smith and Hourihane could play like that if instructed to, but they aren't. 

They are asked to move the ball forward quicker, which carries a greater risk. I think Bird has given the ball away more times this season than in his career, but his creative work has also gone up a notch as a result. The risks are greater, yes, but so are the rewards of playing like this.

Has our current midfield got the legs to quite carry this style off? Probably not in the long term, but I think they are growing into their task. And we have Fornah gaining more experience,  Tommo when he gets back from injury to add to the mix. I think they are the future, but they need the help of the experienced hands in the meantime.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just a comment on this midfield controlling games ideal. I thought the Port Vale midfield last night were neat and tidy passers, retaining the ball well but they created little as by the time they released the ball forward our defence was well set. 

We all know players like Bird, Smith and Hourihane could play like that if instructed to, but they aren't. 

They are asked to move the ball forward quicker, which carries a greater risk. I think Bird has given the ball away more times this season than in his career, but his creative work has also gone up a notch as a result. The risks are greater, yes, but so are the rewards of playing like this.

Has our current midfield got the legs to quite carry this style off? Probably not in the long term, but I think they are growing into their task. And we have Fornah gaining more experience,  Tommo when he gets back from injury to add to the mix. I think they are the future, but they need the help of the experienced hands in the meantime.

Problem last night, from what I could see, is that Fornah and Bird were pushed high and onto the toes of their defenders. This meant we were matched5 v 5 across their back line when we had the ball with Wilson, NML and Collins also there. Hourihane then split the centre backs by dropping deep which left a gaping chasm for much of the middle of the pitch. If Hourihane is doing that, we are missing a link player in that huge gap, or, we needed someone with far more mobility than Hourihane to be able to bring the ball forward at his feet to create the passing angles. This was more of a first half issue than second, we did change a bit in the second half.

Edited by Srg

Sorry to return to the thread title...

Watched the game on my tablet on my apartment terrace, overlooking the pool (we expected, and got, the monthly 5 minute downpour during the game). This is how @Owen87ITK looks when viewed from Corralejo.

3 more points from a less than inspiring game but that's already been covered. 

Brizzle in Fuerte.jpg

5 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Sorry to return to the thread title...

Watched the game on my tablet on my apartment terrace, overlooking the pool (we expected, and got, the monthly 5 minute downpour during the game). This is how @Owen87ITK looks when viewed from Corralejo.

3 more points from a less than inspiring game but that's already been covered. 

Brizzle in Fuerte.jpg

Very nice. Have stayed in Corralejo a couple of times, at the Barcelo. 

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Spot on

On 26/11/2023 at 22:37, lrm14 said:

It reminded me of when Roos was here and some of our 'fans' used to sarcastically cheer whenever he caught a cross. Truly weird behaviour and I've never understood it.

God that was appalling, was thinking about that the other day

He was fantastic when he came in at the end of that season and rightly won the shirt but was never going to find that form again because the fans literally would not let him